need advice for transcribing journal

atoyot

I am planning to make a "copy" of my husband's late mother's journal for my sister-in-law to have. The original journal is hand-written on lined paper in a binder.

Although it's a little hard to read, I plan to type up all of the entries, print them on some nice cardstock, and put them in a "scrapbook" type album to give to my sister-in-law on her wedding day, which is in a few months.

So here's my question before I get started: I have already read parts of the journal, and have noticed that some words have been "scribbled" or crossed out, and then replaced by another word...when I type this up, should I include this on the document? I am able to see the word under the scribble on the original entry, so should I type up the word, then do a "strikethrough" on the document? Or should I just ignore anything that's been crossed out, and only type up only what she meant to write?

Also, if there are any grammar/spelling mistakes, do I leave them as they were written, or do I correct them myself when I type it up? Or is that big "no-no" in the family history world? I've never taken on anything like this before, and I really don't know the "proper" way to do it. I can't ask my sister-in-law for her opinion, because it's a surprise.

Or should I just photocopy the original pages, and put those in a book, because it's more authentic, but it'll be harder to read?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me!

If it was me, I would not correct the spelling and I would include the scribbled out words. Quite often photocopying will cause the original to deteriorate much faster. IF you do want to go that way, ask someone at the Family History Center if they can recommend a professional who can copy it for you safely.

i would consider doing a scan of the pages. that way you have the electronic copy to be preserved, shared, printed, etc. could save you a lot of time in writing it up and i personally think some of the fun in reading documents like that is reading it in the original writing, mistakes and all.

I personally would just scan in each page and include the scanned pages themselves. Of course, with a transcribed version, you can show the crossed out words, just make sure you explain it up front, so readers do not wonder what's going on. I would also keep original spelling.

If you are worried about any damage that photocopying might do to the original what about taking a digital picture?

If this were me I would probably include photos of the journal pages AND a typed version. Seeing the handwriting is something that I would like if it were my gift.