Neil A. Anderson - Sunday pm session

We can not be casual in how we prepare the rising generation.

Each young man and woman needs his/her own conversion to the gospel, independent to their parents and leaders.

Are the stories of the life of Jesus embedded in the minds of our children?

Do they know that Jesus often taught "Ask and ye shall receive?"

Have we told them of the love that Jesus has for children?

Do our children know that Jesus stands ready with open arms to receive them?

In their loneliness, do our children know of the loneliness that the Savior also felt as His friends deserted him?

Do our children know about His perfect life? His ministry? His cruel cruxificion?

Do they anticipate his majestic return?

Do our children say "Tell me the stories of Jesus, I love to hear?"

Seek to know more about Jesus. Read the scriptures, discuss with parents and teachers.

Speak more frequently about Jesus Christ.

No salvation can come to men but by Jesus Christ.

Fathers; be an important part in talking to your children about the Savior.

Your testimony will remain in the minds and souls of your children.

• 3 months later...

Elder Neil Linden Andersen underscored the deep personal feelings of weightiness and responsibility following his call as the newest member of the Quorum of the Twelve, being sustained in Saturday morning's opening session of the 179th Annual General Conference of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

"I'm very humbled by this day, very overwhelmed at what is ahead of me and the great honor and responsibility that has come to me," said Elder Andersen, 57, at a news conference held in the Church Office Building between Saturday's conference sessions.

Expressing appreciation to church members who sustained him, church leaders, his wife and family, he added: "I pray that I can become what I must become in the years ahead."

Other newly called leaders sustained Saturday include Elder Donald L. Hallstrom of the Quorums of the Seventy to take Elder Andersen's place in the Presidency in the Seventy, the call of 12 new members of the Quorums of the Seventy, the reorganization of the Sunday School and Young Men general presidencies and the call of 40 new Area Seventies.

Sustained to the First Quorum of the Seventy on April 3, 1993, at age 41, Elder Andersen had been serving since 2005 as a member of the Presidency of the Seventy, the most tenured of the seven presidents.

Filling the vacancy created by the December passing of Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin, Elder Andersen said he hopes to serve as effectively as did the late apostle.

__________________________________________________________________________________

Herman Miller| Herman Miller Chairs