Saved by the BoM

svanneck

Two missionaries are tracting through South Central Los Angeles when all of a sudden they hear a gunshot from across the street. In an instant, one of the missionaries goes down. His companion stoops over him, trying to find out how badly he is hurt. A few seconds later, the fallen missionary opens his eyes, gets up, and dusts himself off. Miraculously, he is completely unharmed! He reaches inside his coat pocket and pulls out his Book of Mormon, with the bullet still lodged in it. He opens the book, looks at his companion and exclaims, "Can you believe it, elder? Even the bullet couldn't get through Second Nephi!" :lol:

I've heard it, too, but I think more poignant (but less funny) is when the bullet stops at Helaman 16:2:

2 But as many as there were who did not believe in the words of Samuel were angry with him; and they cast stones at him upon the wall, and also many shot arrows at him as he stood upon the wall; but the Spirit of the Lord was with him, insomuch that they could not hit him with their stones neither with their arrows.

• 2 months later...

2 Nephi was the only book in the Book of Mormon I really struggled to get through. I never really understood Isaiah much so really had a difficult time getting through this book.

• 2 weeks later...

2 Nephi was the only book in the Book of Mormon I really struggled to get through. I never really understood Isaiah much so really had a difficult time getting through this book.

Have you ever read the Old Testament (namely Kings and Chronicles)? I found after I had done so Isaiah was a little easier to understand as now I had a basic idea of the events surrounding Isaiah's prophecies. Kinda like how knowing Church history can make things in the D&C a little more understandable.

• 1 month later...

Second Nephi is where the Isaiah chapters are. The joke is supposed to be "Even a bullet couldn't get through Isaiah!"

Yeah, thats how I heard the joke... with the Vietnam thing, a soldier gets shot, and his bible has the bullte in it so he opens it up and says, "Hah! Even a bullet can't get through Isaiah!" But yeah. :P

I recommend making an effort of it when you can spare the time. The return on my investment was worthwhile and to be honest unexpected.

Its an interesting claim to be able to honestly say you've read the entire bible, if only because of the Old Testament being so long winded and boring. I still remember the first time I could say it... was living in California and called my mom jsut to tell her, lol.

I had never been able to get through Isaiah until I lived in NorCal.

• 6 months later...

heard this joke before.. about missionaries at the times of the pioneers visiting native american country... ;-)

And one hint. Much of Isaiah, especially the parts in the Book of Mormon can be understood easier if you read them like poetry. Look for chiasms for example, or try to find passages which are just rephrased in the next sentence. It ist still difficult, but some things fall into place!

• 1 month later...

Everyone has read 1st and 2nd Nephi over and over because that is around the time that they get off track with their daily scripture study. Then they come back to the Book of Mormon after a while and start over.

I have done this so many times that I learned to trick my Book of Mormon into starting with Jacob.