Mormons who swear ALOT outside of church

bcguy

Insulting, rude, vulgar, desecrating, etc. are some descriptive words.

Just so I'm understanding what you are saying marts...

Say, I stub my toe on a rock and I exclaim, "Poop!". Is that swearing?

How about I stub my toe on a rock and I exclaim, "Sh%...". Is that swearing?

English is only my 3rd language. Most American swear words don't even "feel" like swear words to me whereas there are some "normal" American words that are swear words to me, so I wanna know what you mean.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I mean did one person get offended then it just caught on?

Almost before We Spoke, We Swore

Linguists comment on the origins of swearing.

"In some cultures, swear words are drawn mainly from sex and bodily functions, whereas in others, they're drawn mainly from the domain of religion," Dr. Deutscher said.

In societies where the purity and honor of women is of paramount importance, he said, "it's not surprising that many swear words are variations on the 'son of a whore' theme or refer graphically to the genitalia of the person's mother or sisters."

The very concept of a swear word or an oath originates from the profound importance that ancient cultures placed on swearing by the name of a god or gods. In ancient Babylon, swearing by the name of a god was meant to give absolute certainty against lying, Dr. Deutscher said, "and people believed that swearing falsely by a god would bring the terrible wrath of that god upon them." A warning against any abuse of the sacred oath is reflected in the biblical commandment that one must not "take the Lord's name in vain," and even today courtroom witnesses swear on the Bible that they are telling the whole truth and nothing but.

Among Christians, the stricture against taking the Lord's name in vain extended to casual allusions to God's son or the son's corporeal sufferings - no mention of the blood or the wounds or the body, and that goes for clever contractions, too. Nowadays, the phrase, "Oh, golly!" may be considered almost comically wholesome, but it was not always so. "Golly" is a compaction of "God's body" and, thus, was once a profanity.

Yet neither biblical commandment nor the most zealous Victorian censor can elide from the human mind its hand-wringing over the unruly human body, its chronic, embarrassing demands and its sad decay. Discomfort over body functions never sleeps, Dr. Burridge said, and the need for an ever-fresh selection of euphemisms about dirty subjects has long served as an impressive engine of linguistic invention.

Once a word becomes too closely associated with a specific body function, she said, once it becomes too evocative of what should not be evoked, it starts to enter the realm of the taboo and must be replaced by a new, gauzier euphemism.

Edited by Kawazu

Just so I'm understanding what you are saying marts...

Say, I stub my toe on a rock and I exclaim, "Poop!". Is that swearing?

How about I stub my toe on a rock and I exclaim, "Sh%...". Is that swearing?

English is only my 3rd language. Most American swear words don't even "feel" like swear words to me whereas there are some "normal" American words that are swear words to me, so I wanna know what you mean.

I for one cannot see Jesus saying any such thing no matter how much pain He was enduring. Are we not supposed to be seeking to be like Him. Is anything less, something we should teach?

I for one cannot see Jesus saying any such thing no matter how much pain He was enduring. Are we not supposed to be seeking to be like Him. Is anything less, something we should teach?

I, for one, cannot see Jesus typing words on this forum no matter how troubled He was... yet, you are here.

Another explanation would be welcome.

Okay, how about if I stub my toe and I exclaim, "My God! Why have you forsaken me?" Is that better?

Edited by anatess

Brother Kimball primarily used "Biblical" swears, though, didn't he? "Damn" and "hell" but out of context. Incidentally, an amusing bit of trivia about him: the first time a radio broadcast was ever censored due to offensive language was during a General Conference broadcast while J. Golden was speaking.

And those are real curse words. Damn you means may you be checked in your spiritual progress you. To hell with you means you don't want someone saved.

The f word is a mere vulgarity.

Swearing would be like saying By G-d!

"When a nephew asked Brother Kimball if he wanted to hear the latest story about him, he responded, "Hell, no! It seems that all the stories told these days are either about me or Mae West!"

"Cut me off from the Church? They can't do that! I repent do damn fast!"

"Some people say a person receives a position in this Church through revelation, and others say they get it through inspiration, but I say they get it through relation. If I hadn't been related to Heber C. Kimball, I wouldn't have been a damn thing in this church."

After giving a blessing to a woman whose pregnancy wa at risk, she was so touched she began to cry. "Now stop your crying, Louise. You're going to be all right.The Lord has never let me down and He won't start now!"

"There are not enough general authorities to do all the thinking for the membership of the Church."

To curb J. Golden's occasional use of cuss words, the brethren prepared a speech for him to read in general conference. Growing frustrated at the podium, he stopped halfway and said, "Hell, Heber, I can't read this damn thing!"

"You men, always marry a woman from Sanpete County. No matter what hard times you experience together, she has seen worse."

A story from Steven Robinson's Believing Christ may be of use in understanding swearing (and other sins) in our lives.

Before I post that though, I would give my opinion that judging others based on their weaknesses precludes us from heaven far sooner than a weakness such as swearing.

GIVING HIM EVERYTHING

So what does it mean to give him everything? Some of us simply have more ability, more talents, than others. Yet according to the parable, those with only one talent or only three talents are not expected to earn five. Only the one with five talents is expected to earn five.

Let me illustrate with an example. Many years ago I came into contact with a woman who was, initially at least,

one of the roughest persons I have ever known. Abused as a child, she had run away from home and had lived on the streets for years. As a young woman, she traveled around the country with a motorcycle gang. In late middle age, her beauty gone, she spent most of her time in a pub, where some missionaries met her when they went in to get change for a pay phone outside. When she was baptized, many of the members worried that her conversion wouldn't last, and there were good reasons to suspect it might not.

For a long time after her baptism, this sister still swore like a trooper, even in Church, and never quite lived the Word of Wisdom one hundred percent. On one occasion during her first year in the Church, she lost her temper during a Relief Society meeting and punched out one of the other sisters. Her ex-husband is an alcoholic, and her children have all spent time in jail.

Now the question before us is whether someone like this can seriously expect to be saved. What hope does a person like this, with all her faults and weaknesses, really have? With her background and problems, why bother coming to Church at all?

"Though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool." God does not lie. Whoever will come, may come. All are invited; none is excluded. Though this sister had further to travel than most, the same covenant was offered to her: "Do all you can. I will do the rest while you learn how." And she was as faithful as she could be under her circumstances. She never said, "No, I won't," or "Get off my back," or "Why talk to me? Talk to him, he started it." She always said, "I know; I'm sorry. 1'11 try to do better." Then she would try to do better. Often she would fail, but little by little over the years, she improved a great deal. First she gave up coffee, tea, and alcohol. Then she stopped swearing. Later she overcame smoking and got her temper somewhat under control. Finally, after she'd been in the Church many years, she was ready to go to the temple. Can such a person really expect to inherit the kingdom of God? Of course.

But now the harder question. At what point did this sister become a candidate for the kingdom? Was it when she finally gave up cigarettes, or when she got her language and temper under control? Or was it when she finally qualified for a temple recommend? No. It was none of these, though they were all important landmarks in her progress. She was justified through her faith in Jesus Christ on the day that she repented of her sins, was baptized, and received the gift of the Holy Ghost, for she entered into that covenant in good faith and in all sincerity. She believed in Christ, and she believed Christ. Like the widow with her mite, she gave all she had and held nothing back. It may not have been much, but it was everything.

Every week she took the sacrament, having repented of her mistakes and resolving again to eliminate them. Some things took years to overcome. Other things perhaps haven't been overcome yet, but she still tries, and she won't give up. And as long as she won't give up but endures to the end in the gospel harness, pulling toward the kingdom, her reward is sure. God knows our circumstances, and he judges us accordingly. He knows who is standing in a hole and who is standing on a chair, and he does not just measure height - he measures growth.

Each of us operates at a different level of performance within the covenant boundaries. The percentages vary both from person to person and, even for the same person, over a period of time. In my case, my efforts might tale me twenty percent of the way to perfection. The Savior covers the other eighty percent. In your case, your efforts might take you fifty percent - or two percent - of the way. The Savior still covers the difference. But in every case the sum of the joint effort is the same-anyone's best efforts, however great or small, plus the atonement of Christ will equal 100 percent of what is needed to enter God's kingdom.

Before I post that though, I would give my opinion that judging others based on their weaknesses precludes us from heaven far sooner than a weakness such as swearing.

I have not seen anyone judging anyone in this thread. All I have seen is a discussion on what is right to do or what is wrong. The judgements here are based on God's judgements and what we learn in scriptures. These are not our judgements.

I swear sometimes (in rare emotional/accidental incidents). Yes, it gets the best of me, but I freely admit it. However, I admire the good chap that can hold a heated discussion without letting loose a string of vulgarity.

I always tell my sons - you need to expand your vocabulary so that when you start arguing with me (or anybody) you won't have to look for words in the gutter!

In my house, heck and gosh are bad words, same as cupid (in place of stupid). But you can say, My God! in a quick prayer when the homework is too tough and you give up in frustration, although, I advice them to take the time to say the prayer properly starting with My God and ending with in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

When I was in college, I had three roommates. I am not a swearer, and was kind of the Pollyanna of the apartment, and the only Mormon. One time, I something one of them did really made me mad and I swore at him. He starred blankly and said, wow, you are really, REALLY mad because you never swear.

So, this is what I learned. If I swore all the time, and I wanted to really emphasize a point, I have no where to go. No words are reserved for those times when I really need them. So, by holding swear words in reserve, I have levels of anger or frustration that proverbial sailors can never attain.

Hello All! :)

Here is my standard:

How you speak says much about who you are. Clean and intelligent language is evidence of a bright and wholesome mind. Use language that uplifts, encourages, and compliments others. Do not insult others or put them down, even in joking. Speak kindly and positively about others so you can fulfill the Lord’s commandment to love one another. When you use good language, you invite the Spirit to be with you.

Always use the names of God and Jesus Christ with reverence and respect. Misusing their names is a sin. Profane, vulgar, or crude language or gestures, as well as jokes about immoral actions, are offensive to the Lord and to others. Foul language harms your spirit and degrades you. Do not let others influence you to use it.

Choose friends who use good language. Help others around you use clean language by your example and by good-naturedly encouraging them to choose other words. Politely walk away or change the subject when others around you use bad language.

If you have developed the habit of swearing, you can break it. Begin by making a decision to change. Pray for help. If you start to use words you know are wrong, keep quiet or say what you have to say in a different way. (Language)

Some scriptures to consider:

Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good” (Ephesians 4:29).

James 3:2-13

Kind Regards,

Finrock

Posted (edited) · Hidden
Hidden

Apostle J Golden Kimball was famous for his swearing during his talks.

FYI - J. Golden Kimball was a Seventy, not an Apostle......and his cussing, albeit funny at times got him into a lot of hot water.

It is a nasty habit to get into and very difficult to get rid of. I had never "dropped the F Bomb" even once, well into my 30s until I started working at place where half the people did their best to work that word into every sentence at least once. After a year of working there it became part of my every day speech. 30 years later I am still working on preventing it from parting my lips.

To my ears "Oh My God" when used to connote surprise or shock, is far worse than the "F Bomb", yet it is pretty much an accepted term in our society from little kids on up and those who use it have no clue that it is even remotely offensive to others and their creator.

Edited by WindRiver

I occasionally swear but its due to something heavy falling on my foot, or something extremely important I forgot to do, but utter it quickly without thinking. What bothers me is in society, kids use the words with every other word in a discussion. That's what bothers me the most that I AM there listening to it!

I once met a girl of a fiend who had a truckers mouth and bad attitude. Well I was not impressed and decided, some one else was better for me to consider dating.

Now, there was a sweet woman in highshcool which I should have dated but was more of a friend. Never did see her again, or in class reunion.

Ugh! My mom swears like a drunken sailor:eek: however, despite her faults she is a lovely spiritual woman :)

Are you sure we're not siblings??? lol. My mom cusses a lot too, but a lot of people still just LOVE her, and she is so genuine, fun, and sensitive... Really understanding, inspiraitonal, and one of the most spiritual people I know. So I don't really hold it against her. She's lived through some of the worst possible nightmares you can imagine though, and she's actually died before (for 5 minutes, recorded by the hospital) and she says that despite her many faults, she knows for a fact exactly what is "out there" and that god loves her. So I don't even trip about it, lol.

As for me, I confess, I will swear somethimes if I'm really, REALLY upset (or if I just suddenly get hurt and forget myself, like stubbing my toe or smashing my finger). But ever since I've gotten back into church, I've really been applying myself to not cussing anymore. Sometimes I slip, but I just feel more respectable when I try.

As for other people, I don't think you will go to hell for cussing... But I do think that cussing all the time sort of makes others see you as "having no class". Particularly women, as men often don't like a woman who cusses a lot. Even if they themselves do.

This goes along with the swearing, but I am saddened at how the English language is deteriorating. Not only are there a lot of cuss words but words that began as meaning something entirely different have been "corrupted" and are no longer used as their original intent. I have story books from when I was little (way to long ago, ;)) and as I read them to my little girl, I have to edit the p***y cat word because I don't want her innocently repeating it and getting laughed at. In fact, reading the scriptures, I have already explained to the kids that the words "ass" and "cock" are used innappropriately in today's society so it is best not to use them at all.

I don't like how we are putting two words together to make a new word - Brangelina for instance. Or ginormous. And all of the slang words that exist - I can't even keep up and I refuse to use them.

Language is like all other areas of life that are breaking down and loosing the battle against corruption. A phrase begins at one point as something one would "never say!"...and down the road it becomes common place and no longer gives people pause.

I feel like Jim Carrey in Liar Liar - covering his hand with his ears, la la la la, stuffing his mouth full of paper, etc. :D

Here is the thing, who are we to cast a judging eye? I am only 17, but I my self have had difficultly with swearing. It is a powerful addiction, that took me time, and deep desire to quit, and break. I never considered my self a bad mormon just because I would swear often. Did I have less spirit? Yes, I never felt 100%, but what we must always remember is that other people may struggle with things that we don't. Put yourself in their shoes, would you want a person questioning your place in the church because of something like that? There are A LOT worse things going on out there and inside of our church with our members, that when people take things such as these, which should remain between the Lord, and the participant, that it really seems like gospel hobbies. The best thing to do in your situation, is maybe invite this sister over, and have the missionaries over as well, to teach a lesson on profanity. One day, she will be clean of her mouth. My problem was so far along, that I openly used profanity with my parents. I felt dirty, and when being interviewed for my P Blessing by the bishop, I told him. He told me that I had to truly want to stop, to be free of the addiction, and then poof, after that day, I was clean...I wanted it, and soon enough, she will also....

An indication of a gospel hobby is evident when you find yourself not living the the gospel as a whole, or you find one principal much more important then another when it is not. If a person finds a particular commandment more important then another does, and that person is living the rest of the gospel well, the second person could think the first person is placing too much importance on that one principal, when actually he may not be. He could be just living the whole of the gospel to a greater degree.

Pretty much impossible to judge something like hobbies on a thread in a forum when you are mostly speaking on one subject at a time. btw When you get right down to it we are all making different kinds of judgements everyday. The thing that God wants us to do is to judge righteously. I could go on concerning judging but thats another thread.

Edited by marts1

This goes along with the swearing, but I am saddened at how the English language is deteriorating. Not only are there a lot of cuss words but words that began as meaning something entirely different have been "corrupted" and are no longer used as their original intent. I have story books from when I was little (way to long ago, ;)) and as I read them to my little girl, I have to edit the p***y cat word because I don't want her innocently repeating it and getting laughed at. In fact, reading the scriptures, I have already explained to the kids that the words "ass" and "cock" are used innappropriately in today's society so it is best not to use them at all.

I don't like how we are putting two words together to make a new word - Brangelina for instance. Or ginormous. And all of the slang words that exist - I can't even keep up and I refuse to use them.

Language is like all other areas of life that are breaking down and loosing the battle against corruption. A phrase begins at one point as something one would "never say!"...and down the road it becomes common place and no longer gives people pause.

I feel like Jim Carrey in Liar Liar - covering his hand with his ears, la la la la, stuffing his mouth full of paper, etc. :D

The things that you are talking about are things that have been happening with language since the first language developed. Language is NOT a static thing. It is constantly changing and evolving.

I understand mostly what people are saying but since I've signed up here I have had to check the dictionary quite often.:) There was a report done awhile back where they concluded using words less used over simpler one's was not the best thing to do in business. On the other hand it is good to learn.