Just got a call - almost died!

MisterT

Recently I donated blood to a not-for-profit corporation here in Milwaukee; it was the first time I'd donated blood in about a year, and the first time with this company.

Like all donation organizations, you give them your phone number and agree to have them call you if there's something detected in your blood that makes it unsuitable for giving to another person.

About 5 minutes ago I got a call from a number I didn't recognize, and because of that I almost ignored it. But I answered and the voice on the other end of the line said "Ryan, this is Jim from the Blood Center of Wisconsin..."

Now, at about this time my heart stopped beating and I couldn't breathe. I suddenly thought great, I have some incurable disease, or cancer, or rabies...

I waited and he said "We're just calling to thank you for your first time donation. As I'm sure you know, you have a rare blood type that is in extreme demand. The blood that you donated will be used in a clinic that treats people who are severely burned."

Phew! For a second there I thought I would have to start writing out my will...

I get 'the call' every two months :). Mine is also an in demand, rare type. I have been giving six times a year for the past five years, but the last few times I have felt really light-headed and actually passed out one time. I am going to cut back to four times a year...must be getting too old...:(

• 3 weeks later...