Length of Service for Bishops/Stake Presidents??? Where do those numbers come from???

Domie

Typically, we hear that bishops serve for around 5 years and stake presidents serve for about 9.

Where do these numbers come from?? Has anything authoritative ever been written on this? Or....is this just a recommended number that has been adopted on a wide-scale.

I'm just curious how this became so standard, especially in the US.

Thoughts?

“Typically” I’ve seen 5 to 7 for a Bishop and 10 to 12 for a Stake Presidency. I have known one Bishop who served for 9, but only one. Bishops for Single Adult and Young Single Adult as well as Branch Presidents seem to go 2 to 3 years.

I think these “numbers” are used as an outline and they seem to match about as much ‘service” as a person can give in these calling to be effective. Sort of like the Relief Society President or Young Women’s President. The amount of service they give, handling problems and crisis and caring for those they are there to serve, this time outline seems about right.

I don’t know and I’ve not seen it written that callings are extended for a set amount of time. I have seen where men and woman are worn out before the “typical” release time!

I don't think you get "worn out" as a bishop, but it's probably a good idea to let others have a chance in leadership. The change can be refreshing for the bishops and the ward members.

I served as a counselor to a bishop that went inactive after his release. I think he was as "worn out" as one can get!

HiJolly

I served as a counselor to a bishop that went inactive after his release. I think he was as "worn out" as one can get!

HiJolly

I know more worn out. I knew of a bishop who asked to have his name removed from church records within 2 months of his release. There were definitely others factors at work there, though.

Bishops do get tired, but going inactive after release probably indicates other issues at work. That's unfortunate. I hope he comes back.

Actually, the phenomenon is two-fold. First, when serving in these positions, some of these people become so over tasked with caring for those to whom they are called to minister that some of the basic spiritual development suffers. Some of this is caused by poor management of the calling and some of it is inevitable.

Secondly, it seems that while serving in these callings, the spiritual highs experienced are a little different than what you get outside of these callings. If your foundation isn't strong in the fundamentals (see the first factor), you can become frustrated when you don't feel the same spiritual highs. Limiting the length of service can help prevent a bishop from forgetting what a normal spiritual high feels like.

So, in the discussions I've had with people and the instances I've seen where this has happened, it is frequently that after being released, the person just doesn't feel the same kind of spirituality that they've become accustomed to and that frustrates them.

Limiting terms of service is just one of many tools that the Church employs simultaneously to prevent this.

I think there is some merit in both instances. I do think that the demands on a bishop's time are pretty intense and it can cause serious issues if he doesn't learn to manage his time effectively. In these cases, the bishop gets worn down and his family (more than anyone) suffers.

I do agree that bishops spend a lot of time worrying about others and that tends to lessen the amount of time they might spend on their own development. That said, personal spiritual development goes hand-in-hand with the service bishops render (it should, at least). It's tough to be a spiritual leader if you aren't taking care of your own spiritual nourishment.

I'm just curious how FIVE YEARS became the standard term. I can't find it anywhere.

I think the biggest reason some go inactive is that the adversary has been at work and once released and the protection, mantle and blessing are removed they struggle. Example: Wife was strong while a bishop because of the extra blessings that come from that calling but once released they start fighting and really dont even know each other. She stops going to church etc. and this is a huge adjustment for the ex-bishops. (Think about how it felt when you got home from your mission), much the same.

I knew a bishop that was very strong (strong character as well) in Venezuela. He served for 10 years. I know that was the exception, but he was so good. Split his ward 4 times because the church became so full. Still is literally overflowing with people. Good memories.

I have heard of the 5 year mark as a general guideline only. I have no knowledge of the Stake Presidents though. I though it was like 7-9.

Guest mormonmusic

I don't think the terms for which Bishops and Stake Presidents serve are written down anywhere, just as it's not written down that you "take the sacrament with your right hand".

I think there's good reasons for it not being written down.

There are people who have managed to serve as Bishops for a decade or longer in areas where there isn't anyone to replace them. You don't want everyone demanding they be released when they otherwise would stay happily in the calling -- publishing formal terms might encourage requests for early releases that otherwise wouldn't happen.

Also, the 5 year term isn't set in stone -- I have a friend who served for 10 years-- and he was still doing fine given his ability to manage the aspects of the calling that wear you down. Plus, from our conversations, he sounded like he had really low expectations for his Ward, and so did the Stake, which made it much easier. He also had tremendous ability to discipline his thoughts and to be thankful for what his Ward did accomplish.

I did speak to another Bishop who said that "five years is about as long as you can do it [bishop's calling]". So, I think 5 years is the point where experience has shown that people start getting antsy in their callings.

Funny we have two ex-Bishops in our Ward, and they were both inactive until I withdrew from my HPGL calling, and they accepted callings in the new HP group leadership -- but only after at least 6 years of semi-activity.

Edited by mormonmusic