Priesthood blessing on animals ?

lizzy12

they are Heavenly Father's creations. Personally i have known of many priesthood holders that have blessed and animal. One my dog would not have been healed without, she had seal flu which is very deadly to dogs, on top of that she was 18, vet wanted to put her down. Because of the blessing I knew exactly how to treat her, 3 weeks later she was better and went on to live another 2 years very healthily.

After that she asked for a blessing on one occasion, which told her not to be such a silly dog and calm down. Her final blessing before she died was beautiful, it talked about how she had lived her life and how Heavenly Father was proud of her and all she had achieved.

Given as the priesthood created these animals not sure why using it for their benefit is inappropriate

After that she asked for a blessing on one occasion,

Are you saying your dog asked for a blessing?

My pet was very sick and I did give him a blessing. The same way Moksha has described. No oil, just held him saying a healing prayer, perhaps mentioning the priesthood. I remember blessing a friends pet after she was told it would cost a great deal of money to try and keep her from dyeing.

These animals were healed almost, if not instantly and they are still alive to this day.

Are you saying your dog asked for a blessing?

yes she had got herself overheated and gone into a stupid panic and kept putting my husband's hand on her head until he gave her a blessing then she stopped. I think she remembered the previous blessing. My husband didn't use oil, but like you described with the first blessing placed his hand on her head I was holding her. Its hard to explain I think the spirit had its hand in whispering what she wanted, but her reaction to the blessing confirmed it. She was one very old doggie by this point she was 20

We have had similar things with quite small babies asking for blessings by placing Dad's hand on their head, they got about it in a very similar way lol

Why?

I guess i don't have these deep connection with animals...nor have i been in a situation where an animal needed a blessing...so i can't exactley say.

It just seems to me that the priesthood is made more common-like and less sacred and powerfull.....

then again i've never had a sick pet.

My parents had a dog that died while they were on a walk, they were too far from home to and could not carry her as she weighed over 100 lbs. My dad gave her a blessing and she came back to life and walked the rest of the way home. She lived for a few more days before they put her to sleep. She had stopped eating and they could tell she was dying. My dad has said that he wished he hadn't given her the blessing, not because he feels it was inappropriate but rather because he prolonged her life when he feels like he should have let her pass away.

I personally see no problem with blessing animals. We are told to pray over everything, and the way I often see a blessing is a way to open ourselves up to counsel and blessings. For many people their animals are a big part of their lives, why wouldn't they want to pray for them and bless then when needed?

I guess i don't have these deep connection with animals...nor have i been in a situation where an animal needed a blessing...so i can't exactley say.

It just seems to me that the priesthood is made more common-like and less sacred and powerfull.....

In our area it is often stressed the power of the priesthood is not used enough. If it were the other way around to an extreme, I could see your point being valid to a certain extent.

animals have spiriits and are part of Heavenly Father's creations, did it cheapen His priesthood when it was used to create the animals? One of our first commandments is to care for them.

The more I think about this, the more I think that blessing animals not only doesn't cheapen the Priesthood, but is almost a mandate to do.

Genesis 1:26 states that Man was placed on earth and given dominion over the animals.

In the same vein, God has dominion over Man. Is God a righteous or unrighteous regent? The answer is, of course, that he is righteous. That he blesses us and helps us.

In that vein, so should we bless those we have dominion over.

Yet in order to be healed, one must have faith. Can an animal have faith?

According to Luke 17:6

And the Lord said, If ye had faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye might say unto this sycamine tree, Be thou plucked up by the root, and be thou planted in the sea; and it should obey you.

Can a sycamine tree have faith?

I think using the priesthood on the inanimate and the simple is different. Truthfully, I don't know if an animal requires faith to be healed.

According to Luke 17:6

And the Lord said, If ye had faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye might say unto this sycamine tree, Be thou plucked up by the root, and be thou planted in the sea; and it should obey you.

Can a sycamine tree have faith?

I think using the priesthood on the inanimate and the simple is different. Truthfully, I don't know if an animal requires faith to be healed.

How exactly is moving a sycamine tree healing it?

How exactly is moving a sycamine tree healing it?

No, you're right. It's not necessarily healing it.

However, I think that's a very fine line. Why could you command a tree to walk down from the mountain and plant itself in to the ocean but not command it to be healed?

There might be an answer as to why those two things are different. I'm not wise enough to see the distinction, however.

After that she asked for a blessing on one occasion, which told her not to be such a silly dog and calm down. Her final blessing before she died was beautiful, it talked about how she had lived her life and how Heavenly Father was proud of her and all she had achieved.

Uh huh.

It reminds me of the time my dog asked me to borrow 20 bucks and the keys to the Caddy. I Know! It sounds crazy. Old Yeller had no wallet to in which to carry the twenty.

Imagining that dumb animals possess human characteristics that they obviously do not have is odd. The dog would have been just as happy if you had rubbed some Murphy's Oil Soap into it's fur and recited the Gettysburg Address in a warm and pleasant tone

Cuz it's an animal.

Bestdes which, it paints the picture of a capricious and arbitrary God who treats some creatures one way and others another way based the random vagaries of their owners religious peculiarities.

Personally I am disinclined to think it appropriate. Thing is it's a gut reaction on my part based on emotion and some half remembered comments about it not being appropriate that I can't attribute a source to. So I was curious why she objected.

Personally I am disinclined to think it appropriate. Thing is it's a gut reaction on my part based on emotion and some half remembered comments about it not being appropriate that I can't attribute a source to. So I was curious why she objected.

I don't know if it is appropriate or not but it's all about the owner, not about the animal - that is, the action may do something for the owner/blessor, but not the animal.