Priesthood blessing on animals ?

lizzy12

Uh huh.

It reminds me of the time my dog asked me to borrow 20 bucks and the keys to the Caddy. I Know! It sounds crazy. Old Yeller had no wallet to in which to carry the twenty.

Imagining that dumb animals possess human characteristics that they obviously do not have is odd. The dog would have been just as happy if you had rubbed some Murphy's Oil Soap into it's fur and recited the Gettysburg Address in a warm and pleasant tone

not sure how a dog being able to communicate makes her human or how physical distress is an entirely human characteristic? What it does mean simply is that the dog and human had a longer than usual dog and human relationship, not many dogs make it to over 20

I heard about this and frankly i think it is totally inappropriate. I see nothing wrong with PRAYING for an animal but actually the laying of hands ? Your views ?

Love, Liz

I have done it a number of times to sick pets and will continue to do so. They are Gods creatures too, if He "notes the sparrow as it falls", he certianly notes Fluffy or Fido also.

Someone asked if it cheapened the Priesthood making it more common and less holy, to which I reply: Does it cheapen the Priesthood to have love and compassion for another one of Gods creatures? especially one that is capable of and does return love and affection to you? Is it wrong to try to comfort a sick pet? to ease its suffering? I wish ALL Priesthood holders had the compassion for Gods creatures and the conviction of the actual power they command to bless sick animals, because then I know they would also be using their Priesthood to benefit their fellow humans also.

If you don't like it then don't participate, but don't try to tell me its wrong, you know not of what you speak.

Edited by mnn727

not sure how a dog being able to communicate makes her human or how physical distress is an entirely human characteristic? What it does mean simply is that the dog and human had a longer than usual dog and human relationship, not many dogs make it to over 20

Not really the issue. Sure, dumb animals can be in distress and can make their distress known to others. That's no big deal. Dogs crave affection. What you posted, however, is that the dog knew that she wanted a priesthood blessing and then asked for a priesthood blessing. Dogs just don't have that kind of cognitive ability.

Not really the issue. Sure, dumb animals can be in distress and can make their distress known to others. That's no big deal. Dogs crave affection. What you posted, however, is that the dog knew that she wanted a priesthood blessing and then asked for a priesthood blessing. Dogs just don't have that kind of cognitive ability.

ever owned a Jack Russell not to mention a very, very old one?

Hyrum Smith's widow blessed an ox after it had fallen in it's traces and died. The animal was able to continue pulling until it reached the great Salt Lake. Not only was it an animal that was blessed, but it was a woman that had blessed it for there were no priesthood holders with her at the time.

Hyrum Smith's widow blessed an ox after it had fallen in it's traces and died. The animal was able to continue pulling until it reached the great Salt Lake. Not only was it an animal that was blessed, but it was a woman that had blessed it for there were no priesthood holders with her at the time.

She went and got consecrated oil and asked two of the brethren in the company to bless the ox. She did not do it herself.

Was that ox dead or just very sick...not that it matters?

It was sick, very near death.

I heard about this and frankly i think it is totally inappropriate. I see nothing wrong with PRAYING for an animal but actually the laying of hands ? Your views ?

Love, Liz

Liz, who ever told you otherwise is foolish and do not completely understand the order of the priesthood. DO IT...you will be blessed for your desire and action.

She can act on her husband priesthood if there is no worthy males or no priesthood at all.

they are Heavenly Father's creations. Personally i have known of many priesthood holders that have blessed and animal. One my dog would not have been healed without, she had seal flu which is very deadly to dogs, on top of that she was 18, vet wanted to put her down. Because of the blessing I knew exactly how to treat her, 3 weeks later she was better and went on to live another 2 years very healthily.

After that she asked for a blessing on one occasion, which told her not to be such a silly dog and calm down. Her final blessing before she died was beautiful, it talked about how she had lived her life and how Heavenly Father was proud of her and all she had achieved.

Given as the priesthood created these animals not sure why using it for their benefit is inappropriate

I know this is old, but I think this is a beatiful story. It reminds me of the kind of dog mine was before she died of cancer- there was something very special and wonderful about her.

I know this is old, but I think this is a beatiful story. It reminds me of the kind of dog mine was before she died of cancer- there was something very special and wonderful about her.

agreed one thing even complete strangers agreed about was Sally had a special spirit. I was often stopped by people through her life who commented on it. She was my dog through rather difficult teenage years, she was there as my protector and friend, remember when Mum had people she didn't approve of in the house she would sleep on my chest giving warning growls when they came up to use the loo.

She was very capable of cognitive thinking (heck crows are), and very capable of communicating. She wasn't a human but she was special. She was also courtesy of my Mum addicted to nicotine and loved a brandy lol - she was the only dog I knew that would go towards a lit cigarette just to breathe it in:)

Liz, who ever told you otherwise is foolish and do not completely understand the order of the priesthood. DO IT...you will be blessed for your desire and action.

That's nice and nebulous.

Could you specify the blessings? Will she get a raise at work? Will she live 3 years longer? Will she win an Academy Award?

You seem quite knowledgeable. Perhaps you can enlighten us.

She can act on her husband priesthood if there is no worthy males or no priesthood at all.

Could you give us a recent General Authority level reference from the last 25 years or so that wives can exercise their husband's priesthood?

You wouldn't want us to think you are making things up.

I'd say its a womans faith that might cause a healing or miracle to take place, not another's priesthood.

It requires both.

There are moments, when the priesthood will need to override a person's faith in order to follow the 'WILL' of the FATHER. I know, I have done it to one of my Home Teaching families in order to restore a deficiency he had with his body.

• 2 months later...

My family grew up with many pets and animals and my father gave them blessings when we would request it for their recovery. My husband and I have been discussing this lately and came across this from an account of Heber C Kimball. (He is my husband's great-great-great grandfather).

"Later that month while the party was camped on Medicine Creek, a rattlesnake bit one of Heber's horses. Without hesitation he quieted the animal, handed its reins to someone, and laid his hands on the animal's head, blessed it, and rebuked the poison; the horse recovered. To those who wondered at the propriety of this, Heber answered simply, "It is just as proper to lay hands on a horse or an ox and administer to them in the name of the Lord, and of such utility, as it is to a human being, both being creatures of His creation, both consequently having a claim to his attention."