have any of you heard about this

Winnie G

My hubby came home from work tonight and told me that President Obama has stopped all missionaries coming from Canada to the USA, that one of his coworkers sons being half American has to leave for his US mission from his fathers home town in Montana in four months.

He could not tell me if this was just a LDS ban or all missionary work?

And if so what about the training center and those already serving?

Have any of you heard this down there, its news in Canada.

There is no link to a news page. my husbands coworkers son is going on a US Mission.

It seems weird but my hubby says his coworker has no reason to lie about it???

One doesn't have to lie to pass on misinformation. Poor recollection or even poor phrasing can result in the faulty translation of information, not to mention poor understanding. That's why I likened it to a game of telephone.

Its not news here in Canada. We just had transfers with a utah greenie moved into our area. I'm not sure but I don't think the united states government could ban people from leaving their borders for any reasons let alone something that falls under "Humanitarian effort" ( which is what you have to claim it as when yo ugo through customs)

There was a point when missionaries couldn't go from other countries to the US.

There was a huge issue in the US where people would come from foreign countries on missionary visas and stay and disappear.

This was not an LDS problem, but the LDS were affected by the change in Visas. I had heard that was resolved several years ago, however.

Of course, not living in Canada any more, I might not have the inside track. ;)

My hubby came home from work tonight and told me that President Obama has stopped all missionaries coming from Canada to the USA, that one of his coworkers sons being half American has to leave for his US mission from his fathers home town in Montana in four months.

He could not tell me if this was just a LDS ban or all missionary work?

And if so what about the training center and those already serving?

Have any of you heard this down there, its news in Canada.

nope, havent seen anything like that grace the news over the last few weeks. I'd say don't worry too much about it, it's most likely not accurate... FOr the person going on the mission the church is generally pretty good about keeping up to date on visa and travel laws and regulations, so if there's a worry you could probably ask for help from the Bishop or stake president.