One Second After

marshac

I read the books description-- its about a bomb that goes off and knocks out all the electrical power in the USA and other places...??

Hehehe... Well, we actually may not have to wait very long to see something like that! :cool: As you may or may not know, we have a solar storm every 11 years... And we are due for another one in 2012. There was one in the 1950's that caused a temporary power outage. And one in the mid- 1800's that WOULD have caused a longer power outage, if power were their primary function...

A solar storm is basically when the sun shoots out an extra strong burst of radiation. Takes a matter of hours for it to reach the earth. In some cases, only 20 minutes or so... We do have a special magnetic field outside our atmosphere that protects us from most of the sun's heat and radiation (if it were not for that, the surface of the earth would probably be FAR too burning hot for any life to thrive, depending on what our atmosphere does with the heat.. During these storms, we do have to bring our NASA boys home for the duration, because if they stay out there in space during a solar storm, they will literally get nuked...

Most of these storms are fine, nothing really happens. Although the last one was powerful enough to allow us to see the "northern lights" as far down as northern California... Here is a page with photos of what was seen in California, although I was in the farest northern area, so for me, it was the WHOLE sky, not just part of it:

California Aurora - October 29, 2003

It happened again in 2003, as you see on the website. Leftovers I suppose? But in 2000, I remember it was more intense than that! Back then, I lived up in the country, still California, but near the Oreon boarder. I went to let my dog outside around 1:00am, and my heart almost jumped up in my throat! The entire sky, from horizon to horizon was GLOWING RED!! Like in those photos, only it was the entire sky. I was freaked out until the weather man on TV explained what was going on.

2012's solar storm is supposed to be VERY strong though...

Best case scenario: We will get another pretty light show like the last one, only far more spectacular.

Not-so-good case scenario: the huge burst of radiation will knock out the eaths electrical grids for 4 to 7 years! This would be a very dangerous problem, because it would shoot us back to the stone age. No military communications, no sattelites to watch the weather, or watch for asteroids, no earthquake or tsunami warning systems, no news broadcasts, no telephones, no 911 calls, no functioning hospitals, no cars, no running water, no businesses or machines to harves fruits/vegetables, no grocery stores... Nothing. For 4 to 7 years.

That's not the worst part though... See, most of our power sources come from nuclear power plants... The plants must keep the nuclear materials cool, down under a pool of cold water. Otherwise, they will overheat, and eventually go off like a mega bomb! We have several of these major plants right here in the USA. Without electricity, we cannot operate the machinery necessary to pump cool water in the large pools to keep the materials cold... Without power, nuclear power plants would be exploding all over the world. That means "nuclear winter"... The sun would be blocked out by a suffocating blanket of thick, dark, poisonous clouds. The entire earth would grow very dark and cold. Rain and snow packed with the deadly poisons from the clouds would fall everywhere, and we would have another "ice age". Very doubtful any humans would survive.

But like I said, that's only the not-so-good scenarios...

Absolute worse-case scenario: A SUPER solar storm... For this, you can watch the movie "Knowing" with Nicolas Cage. In this case (and in that movie), The human race, and all life on earth would go completely extict. At least for the next few million years, anyway. The sun would spit out a super blast of radiation, that would basically raise the temperature of the earth's surface (and the oceans) by thousands of degrees, and nuke pretty much everything! The ice caps would melt and flood the entire earth. Before that though, the radiation / heat could penetrate up to a MILE DEEP in the ground, so even deep underground shelter wouldn't be any help. Niether would any amount of preparedness, in either of these two worst cases.

So um.... Yeah, lets just hope all we get is another pretty light show this time, hm? :D

Edited by Melissa569

I've read it. I've read a lot of these kind of books, but this one is the best. Or I guess I should say, it brought me to tears several times and changed my outlook on preparing and food storage and whatnot.

Last I heard, there was a study out that an EMP pulse might not be near as bad as this book portrays. I pray that's true.

I've read it. I've read a lot of these kind of books, but this one is the best. Or I guess I should say, it brought me to tears several times and changed my outlook on preparing and food storage and whatnot.

Last I heard, there was a study out that an EMP pulse might not be near as bad as this book portrays. I pray that's true.

I read up on how to isolate insulin from bovine and pig pancreases the other day... i'm not a diabetic, but someone else could be :)

The book was interesting and a bit scary to see how people would start to react without the conforts that we are use to, and what people would do when there hungary. I read another book called Patriot talking about the US and the world after an economic collapes, that's the one that scares me.

I read another book called Patriot talking about the US and the world after an economic collapes, that's the one that scares me.

I liked both of those books but one that is a precursor that I found even more interesting was Lucifer's Hammer. In that one an asteroid hits California. It covers the escape and reconstitution of a government at least on a small scale. Excellent premise including one guy that saves how to books in a septic tank.

Guest Alana

I just read this book, and I really liked it. Interesting how if we follow the churches council of food supply, water supply.... the basic 'year supply' we'd be doing pretty awesome. I was a little worried at first that the author was going to be unrealistically over the top, but I really think it would get bad that fast.

One question to you about the book. Do you think people would starve to death so quickly and so numerously after only 2-3 months of small rations? It seems like a pretty quick killing off. I guess I always assumed you could survive a long time on only 800 calories.

One question to you about the book. Do you think people would starve to death so quickly and so numerously after only 2-3 months of small rations? It seems like a pretty quick killing off. I guess I always assumed you could survive a long time on only 800 calories.

The people in the book who died off in the first few months were mainly those with medical conditions- the starvation came later. If you google for a BMR calculator, you can use it to find your 'basal metabolic rate' which is the number of calories your body needs simply to keep running- anything more than this (ie: walking) would require more calories. So on a diet of 800 calories, if expended 4000 calories, you would be short 3200 calories per day- each pound of fat stores 3500 calories, so you would be losing nearly a pound of fat per day.

I just read this book, and I really liked it. Interesting how if we follow the churches council of food supply, water supply.... the basic 'year supply' we'd be doing pretty awesome.

Well, assuming we were able to defend it. That comes across pretty clearly in the book too - the dad has to kill someone breaking into his house, not to mention the town has to fend off the huge gang intent on killing everyone...

Guest Alana

Well, assuming we were able to defend it. That comes across pretty clearly in the book too - the dad has to kill someone breaking into his house, not to mention the town has to fend off the huge gang intent on killing everyone...

Yeah, and all I got is a machete and a large pink kitchen knife:( The machete isn't even that sharp...

I would opt to listen to the Spirit if you really need a food storage or new mode of transportation in moving quickly.

For those who live in Southern Cali are a perfect example, I would not be to concern with food storage but more on learning how to receive personal revelations or learning how to listen to the promptings of the Spirit.

If you have not been watching Greece or the interactions of the IMF, it is another sign on what is coming for countries that cannot control their spending or printing worthless paper currency. We are in the same position. Something is going to give by the summer, the dollar or another bout of a recession. Not like the one the government sought to bail out. What is more scary, I have been noticing the talk on switching all commodities from the basic ‘supply and demand’ model, to what oil is now driven by [artificially inflating the price of worth]. For the greedy, it works. But, reality, it kills markets, businesses, and the consumer pocketbook. Food prices have already jumped 25-percent this year in my local area. By summer, if all the STAR ARE ALIGN [humor here], with increasing the artificial worth of energy and commodities stocks, commercial real estate bust, 20-30 percent unemployment, we are heading for something that the government itself cannot stop or prevent this time. As we do know, we are now in a state; this country simply cannot even pay the interest on the interest with robbing from another account within the government control. There are no more bailouts. There is no more fiat printing since the dollar will become worthless. Nothing will stop the ball from rolling down the hill, not the lies or positive hyping by our own media. Two months ago, I provided a list to my wife and a couple family members on what to expect by the year 2015.

One thing for us S. Cali members, earthquakes at the border have not stopped since the last 7.2 last month and not expected to stop until the other two plates move. We know one of those media known plates, usually moves every three years by having either a medium quake or micro-ones to relieve pressure. We are now in that three year cycle (2010). What is coming is the result on what had happen; more or less, a warning to those who live here. But, most here simply ignore it if there is no media hype over it. In other words, they live by media or the media is there spirit guidance; reminds me of the Romans last days of destruction, coined phrase - ‘Bread & Circus’.

As my wife asks me last week, is this the fatal one? No! What is fatal is when the plate crumbles under us. That one is coming. Simply asking the Spirit for an answer is the key when it will happen. Surprising, is the answer that was given.

Again, we need to pay more attention to the Spirit and our surroundings in order to purchase what is really needed.

If law and order break down, mean organized gangs will cover the land and take what ever they want, just like the Gadianton robbers in the scriptures. Just look whats happening in Greece, those people riot because the government no longer can provide everyone with an abundance of wine and cheese like they promised. When people get hungary, they will do anything.

The west was won with the gun. It may take a gun to keep it. I'm old, slow and over weight but I'm pretty good with my gun. I love John Wayne and can't wait for the calvery with flags waving to comes to the rescue. I'm afraid it only happens in movies. Every book I read has someone trying to take something from another.

• 1 month later...

Wow, I just finished reading a book called 'One Second After'- good book.

If that doesn't make you want to hit the LDS cannery, I don't know what will :)

Anyone else read it?

I just finished this book today after seeing your recommendation here. I have to say, I thought I was pretty well prepared, but now.... I have a whole new batch of ideas to consider.

There is quite a bit of information on the internet about the EMP and whether or not Forstchen's scenario is really possible. Personally, I think the lesson of the book is less about whether the EMP is our new enemy and more about how I and my family can handle any situation that effectively puts us back in the Dark Ages.

Being prepared is really as much about what you can do as it is about what you have stored. I loved reading those Foxfire books years ago. Maybe it's time that I acquired some copies of my own.

Thanks for the book recommendation, marshac!

Edited by CookieC

We don't have cable TV at our house, but while visiting my folks I caught a show on the history channel- it was a mocumentary about the possible aftermath of a serious flu pandemic. I found the show on youtube, so if you're interested in watching, here it is-

Although this was on prime-time TV, there is some violence, although in a portrayal about the crumbling of civilization, what do you expect?

After Armageddon 1/9 - YouTube - After Armageddon 1/9

After Armageddon 2/9 - YouTube - After Armageddon 2/9

After Armageddon 3/9 - YouTube - After Armageddon 3/9

After Armageddon 4/9 - YouTube - After Armageddon 4/9

After Armageddon 5/9 - YouTube - History Channel After Armageddon 5/9

After Armageddon 6/9 - YouTube - After Armageddon 6/9

After Armageddon 7/9 - YouTube - After Armageddon 7/9

After Armageddon 8/9 - YouTube - After Armageddon 8/9

After Armageddon 9/9 - YouTube - After Armageddon 9/9

My truck is partially impervious to any EMP attack. If that is if, I can get it started with starter and ignition switch only, it can run with no electrical power. It is a old 1980s Toyota diesel land cruiser. It is so simple, all I need to do to power it off is to go underneath the hood and push the lever on the injection pump off to kill it. I can run the engine with no electrical power at all.

Now, yes, EMP attack is a very real threat to society. I feel that storing food away from the cities in a bunker that is hidden is possibly the best way to survive with out having to fend off attacks from looters.

I have my ham radio license in the states, but not here in Canada. I should have at least one Tube ham radio because, it would be impervious at least, to the EMP attack. Tube radios use high voltage to run. Hi voltage EMP wave would not affect it.

I'm so ashamed, I have talked about doom and gloom. I have come to the conclusion that all of the other countries in the world can be trusted. Our economy is in better shape financially than it has ever been, and there are no mean or dis-honest people out to get me. The doctor has also increased my PROZAC, I'm doing fine. Look at the flowers on the wall, the pedels are waving at me.

That's only what some politicians would have us believe. While I'm not into the doom and gloom, I do believe we are looking at some pretty bad and horrible times coming up.

• 2 months later...

OK, it's been months and months. I had to push my way through the book. The book followed several people as they tried to survive after a comet broke up. hitting the earth in several spots. I'm glad that I finally finished. If I got anything out of these books, it make you wonder if you could share everything you have until everythings gone and just hope and pray for the best. In the book they had to turn people away or everyone would starve. I think I would look to a higher authority to give us guidence.