The People before Adam

Moksha

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could it be some members are trying to reconcile evolution with scriptures?

If I had to "pick one".

I would have to stick with the Scriptures no matter what.

"Hell or High water.":D

But if both were offered on equal merit:confused:, I would have to try to reconcile.:cool:

Well sure if you are using that broad of a definition that any change = evolution. .... but here is the thing, the example I gave was not of change, it was of something new, something that hadn't existed before. Even that doesn't fit in with "change" in the broader sense.

I disagree that God created diversity of man too. He created Adam and Eve. In fact Eve was taken from the rib of Adam, so not very diverse. The fall created diversity in man. But I don't think God created the diversity. He created a diverse number of species of animals. But there is nothing in the scriptures that say he created diversity within the species. Each kind was made to reproduce itself and stay within the realm it was created. Then the fall changed everything that was already created into different creatures, ones that could change and become diverse, including humans.

In part I believe you to be correct but I think you are missing the forest for the trees. It is true that in the Eden environment there was no evolution – meaning there was no change. There was no birth or death or for that matter there was no diversity of anything which also means no choice.

However, the fall coupled with the atonement created choice and a means to evolve beyond any and all bad choices and thus learn good and evil and become enlightened like G-d – thus a changing or an evolution toward deity. In fact, repentance is also a form of evolution – unless one is stuck in a never unchanging cycle of constant repenting of the same things.

In essence the plan of salvation is a kind of evolution. Evolution is in such harmony with so many aspects of LDS theology – I am quite surprised to find such resistance to the idea.

The Traveler

Could it be some members are trying to reconcile evolution with scriptures?

I would say that some evolve to higher understanding through a study of the scriptures that includes inquiring of the L-rd. I would point out that LDS theology encourages becoming educated – and in ever place of formal education where the “brethren” have control over the curriculum evolution is taught as a part of the natural sciences.

The Traveler

It was through Adam and his priesthood that the people of his day could be blessed by being adopted into the family of Adam. (see Abr 1).

Thus all the people who had come before, from Olduvai Gorge to Tierra del Fuego, were of the family of Adam through this adoptive process?

If I had to "pick one".

I would have to stick with the Scriptures no matter what.

"Hell or High water.":D

But if both were offered on equal merit:confused:, I would have to try to reconcile.:cool:

Good...we need to see it from our spiritual eyes versus our academic brain. ^_^

If we did, we can throw alot of man made fables out and apply technologies that will propel us faster than we can ever imagine.

I would say that some evolve to higher understanding through a study of the scriptures that includes inquiring of the L-rd. I would point out that LDS theology encourages becoming educated – and in ever place of formal education where the “brethren” have control over the curriculum evolution is taught as a part of the natural sciences.

The Traveler

As Nibley use to say in some of his classroom settings, '...education is from cradle to grave.' ;)

Traveler, I believe Nibley didn't miss anything he didn’t seek for. ...a ministering spirit granted him five minutes in a paradiscal city library [Nibley's own account with brush of death], the method of learning was not as we apply today through reading by sight. But a mire touch of a book can be digested in seconds. This open many doors that are not available to most Saints when it comes to a higher education.

Thus all the people who had come before, from Olduvai Gorge to Tierra del Fuego, were of the family of Adam through this adoptive process?

Moksha,

It is as possible as the concept that you or I can be adopted into the House of Israel today, or a Mulekite/Jaredite/Lamanite is adopted into the Nephites.

Then this is the smoothest answer to date, since it accomodates both a semi-biblical understanding as well as the understanding developed through the evidence uncovered by science. I think you have provided a solution that both 8th and 21st Century Mormons can embrace.

It appears to me that there are those who venerate the words of the Discovery Channel above the words of our Prophets?

Oh?

Exactly what words from the Discovery Channel are venerated that contradict doctrine?

Please be specific - I wouldn't want to think that you are making it up.

In the Salt Lake area, KBYU is a PBS affiliate. Think of them having the BYU Biology Department stuff and BYU-TV (Channel 21) as having the religious, chorale and dance programming.

I don't reside in the SLC area, I do have the BYU channel on my DirecTV.

From what I've seen on this site so far, are folks who seem to believe and follow the September Six, before they'll believe or follow the Quorum of the Twelve?

JMHO

From what I've seen on this site so far, are folks who seem to believe and follow the September Six, before they'll believe or follow the Quorum of the Twelve?

JMHO

Is that a question or a statement?

JMHO

Oh?

What, specifically, leads you to believe that? I'd hate to think that you made it up like your last allegation.

SLC,

I think you are silly. Very few, if any on this list, would support the September Six. At least not on the things that got them excommunicated.

Second, none of them were excommunicated regarding pre-Adamites or evolution. If you are going to make such strong statements, perhaps you can support your statements? Else, how about an apology?

I know and work online with several people who work for FARMS and FAIR. Many of them are also proponents of evolution. Do you think they are also apostates? I don't. And they reach the broad political spectrum from extreme conservative to liberal.

Maybe you should actually spend some time getting to know people before you make such claims about them.

Question:

Did Joseph Fielding Smith get his ideas concerning organic evolution from the Lord, or from this guy?

George McCready Price - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Guess where the evidence leads us? Always follow the evidence.

HiJolly

So where is the evidence that leads George McCready Price to Joseph F Smith?

Or maybe . . . both men believe God?:mellow: