Root beer renaissance: Old-time soda is back with a bang

KeithLBrown

Root beer is back.

Across the country, people are talking about "craft" root beer and "premium" root beer.

Artisan root beer is among the "flavor trends" identified for 2010 by Flavor & The Menu magazine, a publication for chefs and restaurateurs.

In 2008, the McCormick spice and flavoring company named root beer as an up-and-coming flavor trend.

But in Utah, where a large segment of the population doesn't drink alcoholic beverages due to their LDS faith, it's not a question of people getting "back into" root beer.

You can read the full story by going to Root beer renaissance: Old-time soda is back with a bang.

Guest Godless

I want some craft Ginger Beer, the only problem is I don't want to pay just shy of $6 for a four pack. Particularly for a brand I've never tried.

Do you have Vernors in Utah? That stuff is awesome, and not too expensive.

I've had some excellent craft root beers as well. Every now and then I'll order one at the pub when I'm trying to pace myself. My favorites are Thomas Kemper (draft) and St. Arnold (bottle).

I have noticed that too keith. even out here in the sticks. the other thing i have noticed is the "natrual sugar" stuff. tried the pepsi throwback. just made me thirstier! was like dang whats up? and with cola products at like 5.15 a 12 pack was like...no thanks!!!!

I had an aunt that made home made root beer...I miss that stuff!!!

Do you have Vernors in Utah? That stuff is awesome, and not too expensive.

I've had some excellent craft root beers as well. Every now and then I'll order one at the pub when I'm trying to pace myself. My favorites are Thomas Kemper (draft) and St. Arnold (bottle).

I've had Vernors, not sure I've seen it here, tis a step below what I'm looking for honestly. Vernors has some bite for a ginger ale but it isn't anywhere close to what I understand a true ginger beer is for bite, same with Thomas Kemper ginger beer (in a bottle). Honestly I want something like Ginger Altoid Beer. :D

One of these days I'll probably just break down, but I sure wish I could just buy a bottle (even at $2) of the stuff I'm looking at in the store, let me know if it is worth it. Actually I like the idea of by the bottle (I know, more expensive) as it'll keep me from drinking the whole pack myself in one sitting. I try to avoid sugared drinks these days.

Edited by Dravin

Craft Root Beer has been around for awhile, a few years ago I remember reading about a guy who went around tasting different kinds of craft root beer to see which ones were the best. I think I read about this in 2003 or so, and I am sure it wasn't new even back then.

Root beer is good stuff.

I too am a fan of ginger beer.

I suspect sales of ginger, apple and cherry beers have been historically depressed in Utah because of the name and the desire to avoid the appearance of impropriety.

Apple Beer is a decently large thing here so I'm not sure that works. I've never heard of cherry beer (I'm assuming you mean in the same sense as ginger beer or apple beer, namely non-alcoholic, I know they do all sorts of flavors for real beers), considering cherry is my favorite fruit I'm intrigued.

Edited by Dravin

I suspect sales of ginger, apple and cherry beers have been historically depressed in Utah because of the name and the desire to avoid the appearance of impropriety.

Actually when I was in Utah I discovered the only restaurants that I had ever run into that served Apple Beer. So very tasty, I wish they offered it at restaurants out here.

Personally, I don't like them.

We should join a club. I can't stand rootbeer let alone rootbeer floats. To many camping trips/day outings where the only thing to drink was rootbeer or grape soda (can't stand grape soda either) unless one wanted to flirt with giardia.

I haven't had grape soda in years, it's expensive to import into the UK, but my goodness, have we got some good Ginger Beers over here.

I've been wanting to do up my own root beer, since it too is expensive to import here, and I just haven't found anywhere that sells it. I just haven't found all the ingredients, or a method of making it that doesn't make me uneasy. Any thoughts?

Ever seen diet rootbeer? I never have!

I have:

Barq's, Mug, A&W, various store brands, and even IBC do diet rootbeer. Not exactly craft (Well, maybe IBC, I'm not overly familiar with them) but it is diet rootbeer.

Who drinks soda? BTW twice while dining out with my wife we have been complimented with a $30 leader of bottled water – I forget the name of the stuff. Water is my favorite drink.

The Traveler

Guest Godless

Who drinks soda? BTW twice while dining out with my wife we have been complimented with a $30 leader of bottled water – I forget the name of the stuff. Water is my favorite drink.

The Traveler

Lol, that reminds me of a scene from Reefer Madness (best educational film ever).

Jimmy: How about driving over to Joe's place with me? I'll buy you a soda.

Bill: I never drink that stuff.

Jimmy: Well gee, I'll buy you something else.

Bill: Okay, you're on the hook for one root beer!

Jimmy: Swell!

Guest Godless

But Polygamy Porter is fine. :lol:

Tried the Reed's Extra Ginger Brew, tis to weak, I was expecting something with kick. Apparently 26 grams of fresh ginger per bottle isn't enough.

Edit: It is very good mind you, I was just expecting something with more boldness and punch.

Guest Godless

Dravin, I'm beginning to think your appetite for ginger is insatiable. It's okay though, the food I eat never has enough garlic in it, so I feel your pain.

Dravin, I'm beginning to think your appetite for ginger is insatiable. It's okay though, the food I eat never has enough garlic in it, so I feel your pain.

I want it to burn like when I just pop a cayenne pepper in my mouth and eat it. So ya, insatiable may be the right descriptor. I wasn't kidding when I said I wanted a Ginger Altoid Beer. :D