How do you know God exists?

curtishouse

For those that remember me, I used to post in here quite a while ago but I've been doing a lot of thinking lately and I just don't think that I'm thoroughly convinced that God exists. This really needs to be settled in my mind and heart first before I could ever focus on theological issues and such.

How do you all know that God exists? What confirmed it for you personally? Thanks.

Curtis

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At first (age < 8) I just kinda 'knew' it, which may be because everyone I knew had a testimony, but then again we can't know whether that's the whole reason or not, can we?

Then at eight I had a 'mystical' experience, and suddenly I *knew* that the Church, etc. was all true. Over 40 years later now, I realize that I was not capable at that time of clear, critical thought and analysis of the event, so I have re-evaluated the experience in context of my current understanding of God, Life & the Universe. I think it is important to not only remember as accurately as possible our previous experiences, but also to re-evaluate them and then compare and contrast the experiences and their impact on our minds & hearts both now and then. Considering both as valid, and valuing both as true.

Then as a teen I was physically saved from falling off the roof of my house, with no concrete objective explanation possible. It could have potentially been my subconscious mind taking over my body with superhuman effect, but that explanation has about as many holes as 'an angel did it' does. Either way, something beyond my conscious self was physically, tangibly in play.

On my mission I had several experiences, the largest was a complete mental/memory refresh of my confirmation at age eight, along with a 'communication' that again was not from my conscious mind. I assumed it was 'God'. In retrospect, I don't think that was a poor choice.

It goes on and on. I have continued throughout my life to have 'mystical', ineffable experiences.

IF there is not a 'God' out there, then I am God. There is no other alternative. And since Mormonism is ok with me being God, then I'm happy to be a Mormon. And a mystic.

HiJolly

Edited by HiJolly
Clarity

For those that remember me, I used to post in here quite a while ago but I've been doing a lot of thinking lately and I just don't think that I'm thoroughly convinced that God exists. This really needs to be settled in my mind and heart first before I could ever focus on theological issues and such.

How do you all know that God exists? What confirmed it for you personally? Thanks.

Curtis

Somehow the fact that I exist - not as a collection of atoms, but as a conscious being capable of self-contemplation - means that there must be something beyond any materialistic process of evolution that caused me to be. However I can't really justify this in formal logic.

I see God as the "above and beyond", a kind of foundation to reality. That's why I've never liked the idea of "eternal regression of gods" since this makes our God a finite being within reality. (Until recently I thought this was a dogma of Mormonism, but thanks to this board I now know it isn't.)

Hidden

Honestly I've never seriously questioned the existence of God, nor the existence of Jesus Christ. I have questioned the veracity of the Book of Mormon and by extension the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. That questioning lead to spiritual experiences confirming my belief in them by proxy, for if the Book of Mormon is true and the Church is correct then obviously God and Jesus Christ exist.

Ultimately it comes down to faith, I experienced confirmations of these truths but I choose to believe, I have faith that they were such. I can not independently verify them nor can I prove in a scientific sense that they were such or even that they weren't something of my own creation.

I guess it just seems to be a matter of faith...There is as much evidence that there is a God than that there isn't...Some look at the sky and marvel at God's creation...Others look at that same sky and marvel at its beauty from a planet that occurred from the Big Bang roughly 5 billion years ago. I hope that God exists and put my faith in that I guess. If God doesn't exist, then when we die, nothing happens. I would rather focus on the hope of God existing. It seems the reward of God existing far outweighs the reward (if there is any) if God doesn't exist.

There are some who frequent this site who are either uncertain or unconvinced that God exists. I've met such people in real life as well. Ironically, they always strike me as nice, good, kind people--rather intelligent too. And yet, the Bible says those who say so are not wise. Romans 1 declares that the very creation cries out that God is.

Surely we cannot prove God exists. The Bible begins with the presumption...in the beginning GOD...

So, yes, I admit I began life assuming God really exists. From there, I'm convinced He directed me to worshipping him in spirit and truth. Perhaps starting with the question, "If God exists, what would he be like?" would prove to be a more fruitful start point? Your conclusions will either drive you towards God, or towards those "free thinkers" who are convinced He does not exist.

Curtis

I've had enough answers to prayers to know there is a God.

I've also had periods in my life where I have drifted from God, and I can see the difference.

There are some who frequent this site who are either uncertain or unconvinced that God exists. I've met such people in real life as well. Ironically, they always strike me as nice, good, kind people--rather intelligent too. And yet, the Bible says those who say so are not wise. Romans 1 declares that the very creation cries out that God is.

Surely we cannot prove God exists. The Bible begins with the presumption...in the beginning GOD...

So, yes, I admit I began life assuming God really exists. From there, I'm convinced He directed me to worshipping him in spirit and truth. Perhaps starting with the question, "If God exists, what would he be like?" would prove to be a more fruitful start point? Your conclusions will either drive you towards God, or towards those "free thinkers" who are convinced He does not exist.

That definitely is something to ponder PrisonChaplain...But isn't God described as indescribable though? What are some attributes that help you to describe God?

I don't want to be part of the "free thinkers." I want to believe in God but I just can't have a blind faith. I wish that I could just believe and never have a doubt in my head but that just isn't me. I think that verse in Mark (9:24 I think) sums me up really well...I believe! Help me with my unbelief!

Curtis

You need to desire the answer for yourself; :)

Curtis

As a scientist and engineer I am convinced that G-d exists in the same way that I am convinced that electrons exist. I have never seen an electron or used any of my senses to sense an electron but I have experimented and discovered that G-d does leave “traces” that demonstrate his existence just as electrons leave traces in a bubble chamber of their existence. I have discovered that just as I have faith that by turning on a light switch that electrons will bring light that by following the covenants and principles of G-d that his spirit will bring light as well.

Jesus said if you will do as G-d commands we will know of G-d and it is also written that if you do not as he says – you have no promise.

The Traveler

Curtishouse, why would a man use part of the bible to say that he believes and then not believe in God. The verse that you quoted is from the Bible and the Bible is the word of God. Supporting this belief is scripture. James 1:5-6 Talks about lacking wisdom ask God in Faith. Matt.6:26-30 talks about the belief of God by looking at the world around you and know what you see comes through your Heavenly Father.

Also there is another scripture that talks about reading the scriptures will help you believe. (John 2:22)

Hebrew 11:1 tell us Faith is to hope for things which are not seen, but which are true. If you want to believe in God blind faith is what you must have.

Your wish to have faith in something you can not see can only be proven if you believe in the scriptures. Do you believe in the scriptures? A word of God.

I knew God was. I do not remember how old I was. I am a convert to the Church. I always felt there was more. I knew Jesus came to this earth as part of our salvation. I did not know why He felt He had to come. The Plan of Salvation gave me the answer.

Edited by zippy_do46

So it seems what some are saying is that first we should obey God (whether we have faith or not) and then if we do, the gift of faith will be given to us. Would that be correct?

The act of obeying is an act of faith. Faith is not belief, it is action based on belief.

HiJolly

Curtis

What you desire the most is the end expectation on what you will receive.

There are three levels of a personal testimony [see D&C section 93];

1] FAITH

2] KNOWLEDGE

3] WITNESS

Each is unique and quantifiable. Each can build from each other as stepping stone. As faith can be the foundation of the latter two but not required in specific circumstances directed by GOD.

There are two types of personal revelatory reception that members can be easily categorized, 1] the member receives the lesser word, or 2] the member receives the greater word. This is based on desire, hope, faith level, attunement, persistent, and spiritual maturity in receiving the answer. Persistent could fall under desire but for me; this is a separate process to receive an answer.

In receiving an answer, there are three basic simple receptors points;

1] Feelings

2] Audio [hearing the voice]

3] Sight [physically seeing GOD]

Now, what are you waiting for? ^_^

Curtis

Thats a really hard question, because besides being very active, there are still times (maybe 10%) when I think we may all be just fooling ourselves, but you know what - I am a better person now that I am a member than I was before I joined so even if there is no God, I am ok with being a member.

I believe that God exists because I just cannot fathom that this awesome brain of mine came by accident.

In any case, Joseph Smith saw Him, so He definitely exists. Oh, you don't believe that Joseph saw him? Do you believe Christopher Colombus discovered America? Why/Why not?

You can't use my reasoning - or anybody else's to figure out if God exists. Unfortunately, the answer to this question is for you alone to figure out for yourself. Good luck!

I don't know how this ties in, but I've just been reading and listening to (thanks to Youtube) lectures by Carl Sagan, Bill Nye, Stephen Hawking, David Attenborough, etc. People highly renowned in their respective fields for their contributions to science. Hearing them talk about life, the Universe, the vastness of space, and the laws that bind it all together.. there were Spiritual Experiences to be had there.

We can neither prove nor disprove the existance of God. We can prove the laws of nature and mathematics, the same laws that God uses to govern the Universe. I don't know how else to describe it. Finding God is not something that can be repeated in a laboratory, or published in a scientific journal. It is a discovery of self, and a highly personal thing.

Curtis

I used to believe strongly in God. Now I do not so much. I'm glad it's working out for you.