Nation of Islam and LDS

I've been contemplating doing some research on the NOI in comparison to the Church. Do any of you have any opinions of similarities or major differences between the two? This will probably end up being my senior thesis, trying to discover what the groups have to say about how religion functions in america.

I'm thinking it is a little more complex than that. From a completely historical standpoint, not faith based at all (though I do consider myself a devout LDS):

1. both groups claim to be the restoration of an older tradition, which tradition in itself claims to be a continuation of Judaism.

2. both traditions faced a tremendous amount of persecution in their early years

3. both traditions have a past that includes racist exclusion.

4. Both groups have shifted the emphasis of practice from "fringe beliefs" to beliefs that could fit in more readily with society.

and others.

The main difference from the 2 that I know of is LDS Jesus is the son of God and NOI Jesus was a prophet.

I worked in a prison and some of the NOI inmates and I had a discussion. most of the stuff is the same with a few minor differeces.

Guest mormonmusic

Also, both had leaders assassinated for political reasons, and both entwined religion and politics. Joseph Smith was both a political leader, and a religious leader. Malcolm X (I believe he was part of the Nation of Islam) was also a leader of a political movement, but also heavily involved in NOI.

Joseph Smith was assassinated due to political machinations against him, and Malcolm X was assassinated due to the political clout he gained (if memory serves).

3. both traditions have a past that includes racist exclusion.

Any exclusions made by the LDS Church were not racial.

There were exclusions based on ancestory and tribal realtions. That skin color played a part is but a result of the way children are born. It wasn't "because of skin color."

Malcolm X left the NOI, and one of the Nation's members assassinated him.

Malcolm X was such a fascinating character. I would recommend the Autobiography of Malcolm X to any and all who wish to have a broader understanding of the human condition, as well as gain a greater appreciation for humanity.

Joseph Smith, Wallace Fard Muhammad and Elijah Muhammad were all multifaceted men.

Also, both had leaders assassinated for political reasons, and both entwined religion and politics. Joseph Smith was both a political leader, and a religious leader. Malcolm X (I believe he was part of the Nation of Islam) was also a leader of a political movement, but also heavily involved in NOI.

Joseph Smith was assassinated due to political machinations against him, and Malcolm X was assassinated due to the political clout he gained (if memory serves).

i have to disagree with your assessment of malcolm x's murder. it is my undrestanding that malcolm x, after traveling to Mecca on pilgramage, began to discover the difference between the Black Muslim movement here in america and the true faith. malcolm x was murdered by people in his own organization for critisizing their role and interprtation of being a muslim.

When you mention "Nation of Islam", are you referring to the entire organization, or just the portion that Louis Farrakhan runs? There is a moderate portion to NOI that really is not happy with LF.

Sarah Barringer Gordon is doing research into NoI. I spoke with her at a conference on Mormonism in 2004, and that was where her research was heading. You may want to see about contacting her at the Univ Pennsylvania.

You can read more concerning Sally here: Penn Law Faculty: Sarah Barringer Gordon , expert on Legal History, Property Law, Religion and the Law. Her email is also on that location.

i have to disagree with your assessment of malcolm x's murder. it is my undrestanding that malcolm x, after traveling to Mecca on pilgramage, began to discover the difference between the Black Muslim movement here in america and the true faith. malcolm x was murdered by people in his own organization for critisizing their role and interprtation of being a muslim.

That's also my understanding, that Malcom X had a change of heart when he went on his pilgrimage, as he saw that Muslims were from different races.

Compare the lives of Joseph Smith and Muhammad. ;)

Up until Mohammad became a war monger, the parallels between Joseph and he were pretty intriguing. Even M's description of revelation and how it left him spent afterward mirrors JS's details of the matter...

I am not versed well enough in the subject to express any sort of confidence in this pet speculation, but with the couple of books I've read, I wonder if Mohammad was a fallen prophet? Seems like things were on track early on... but then power and war altered his course...

I've been contemplating doing some research on the NOI in comparison to the Church. Do any of you have any opinions of similarities or major differences between the two? This will probably end up being my senior thesis, trying to discover what the groups have to say about how religion functions in america.

There is already some work done on this subject...

Define "them". I visit the middle east every year. I know numerous devout and casual Muslims. None of them hold this belief.

Concur...it is those of any religionist belief who harbor ill-will with another group of believers are not of GOD. We have good examples of the Islam brethren and sisters, living the true principles versus the fanatics who claimed to be believers but are nothing more than hypocrites to the cause.