Beth Moore

• 3 years later...

I have done several Beth Moore studies, and have learned a lot, but be warned - she does NOT respect the LDS religion. In her Patriarchs series, she mentions the verse in John, I believe it was John 15:26, which mentions that Christ will send a Comforter. Beth said on her video session that the Mormons say that the verse is talking about Joseph Smith, and how wrong we are to believe that. In fact, when you look that verse up in a Bible published by our church, the foot note itself reads " Holy Ghost, Comforter."

I wrote her a letter letting her know that Mormons do believe in the Holy Ghost, and that what she quoted was completely false. I got a letter back from her team saying Beth did not have time to read all of her letters, and she couldn't be held responsible for everything she said. My response to that was "WHAT?!" Anyway, I did lose a lot a respect for her teachings just because of that response, but I still continued to use her studies because much of them are good.

She did it again in the Psalms of Ascent. I was really loving the series and then she said, "Someone in another religion tried to sell me on the idea that we would be married for eternity." She went on to mock the idea and get a laugh from the audience. The Spirit completely fled the lesson at that point, which unfortunately ruined the rest of it for me.

She has done the same thing with the Catholics, which ruined a session for my mother.

It's hard to listen to someone who is in a position of authority and - for some women - the only source of Christian studies they've had in their lives - cut down other believers in the Body of Christ.

Anyway, as church leaders always say, pray about what you are hearing so that you may use the Spirit of Discernment.

I have done several Beth Moore studies, and have learned a lot, but be warned - she does NOT respect the LDS religion. In her Patriarchs series, she mentions the verse in John, I believe it was John 15:26, which mentions that Christ will send a Comforter. Beth said on her video session that the Mormons say that the verse is talking about Joseph Smith, and how wrong we are to believe that. In fact, when you look that verse up in a Bible published by our church, the foot note itself reads " Holy Ghost, Comforter."

I wrote her a letter letting her know that Mormons do believe in the Holy Ghost, and that what she quoted was completely false. I got a letter back from her team saying Beth did not have time to read all of her letters, and she couldn't be held responsible for everything she said. My response to that was "WHAT?!" Anyway, I did lose a lot a respect for her teachings just because of that response, but I still continued to use her studies because much of them are good.

She did it again in the Psalms of Ascent. I was really loving the series and then she said, "Someone in another religion tried to sell me on the idea that we would be married for eternity." She went on to mock the idea and get a laugh from the audience. The Spirit completely fled the lesson at that point, which unfortunately ruined the rest of it for me.

She has done the same thing with the Catholics, which ruined a session for my mother.

It's hard to listen to someone who is in a position of authority and - for some women - the only source of Christian studies they've had in their lives - cut down other believers in the Body of Christ.

Anyway, as church leaders always say, pray about what you are hearing so that you may use the Spirit of Discernment.

10 truths to get a person to believe on lie?

• 1 month later...

Also have enjoyed many of Beth Moore's tv appearances and teachings.

Have grown to expect the put down's for several faiths. It is just a way of making sure the speaker stays in the 'safe' circle. IMO.

Some churches and television stations probably wouldn't allow a speaker that would not separate out those that they think aren't like them.

She has some really good things to share, and I too have a friend that attends a study of her material. Just too bad to have that separation issue always brought out.