Unresolved past sins

Happiness3

First of all, I should say that I have been at varying degrees of activity through out my life. However for what ever reason-probably my growing maturity (I'm 40 yrs old) in the past five years, the gospel has become so prominate and defining in my life-- it makes sense where it didn't before-- And I love it, I have a testimony of its truthfullness as well as its goodness. Right now I teach Primary and serve on the RS Board.

Well, I am also a single mother, so my bishop keeps regular tabs on me. Yesterday we had a meeting and we discussed the possiblility of me getting a temple recommmend. I passed all of the recommend questions...well, until the end one-about sins--resolved with the proper priesthood authority.

I've had issues in the past and wanted them behind me--years ago, when I was soul searching and asking if I should go back to church, I prayed and greived and went before our Father - honestly and humble, with a 'broken heart and contrite spirit' and I truly felt His love and his acceptance and now I can say that I am not the same person as I used to be-nor will I ever be again.

Anyway, having this experience happen has made me ask the question-- What if I would have answered no to that question and received my recommend? What happens when there are issues that have not been resoved the specified way?

If my understanding serves, you can't get a reccomend answering no to that particular question, and leaving things unresolved.

I would bring things up with your Bishop if you are at all uncertain. This is especially true for unrepented of sexual sins, someone else who has been in a leadership position may offer more clarity, but you are better talking than not.

Oh, no--please don't think I was going to knowingly and willingly lie. I understand the seriousness and that is something I absolutely would not do.

I supose the question is, is that in my mind and heart, this was put behind me long ago and I had repented. However when the question was asked if I had any issues in my past not resolved using the proper priesthood authority (I cannot remember the wording of the question), that is when I brought it up, and asked my bishop.

I believe that my Bishop had no knowlege of this and looking back on the conversation, it appeared that I was going to get the approval from him before I stopped and went back to the question and asked him about it.

Even though it is humiliating and once again I am re-living the shame, I dont regret doing that-I want this to be right.

Unfortunately, I am a naturally analytical person and this experience has made me wonder "what if..."

When I said lie, I didn't mean one of those nasty lie's. :) I was just trying to give you a little jolt into doing what you should do. How would you feel in the day of judgement, if this ended up being the only sore spot on your record which could have been so easily resolved?

It is a relief off your shoulders. I went to my bishop three months ago, two months later I had remembered a past sin, that while my husband said it was fine that I wouldn't need to tell the bishop, It kept bugging me. I ended up telling him and he was grateful because it did change the action that needed to be taken. If I was going to repent I wanted to do it the right way, and man oh man I am able to let it go now. Good luck

Many times the issues of the past have been repented of fully. But when in doubt, it is always good and refreshing to discuss them with the Bishop, as Judge in Israel. I would imagine that he declared you clean, as it sounds like you received your recommend without any wait. To tell him about these past issues gave you the opportunity to ensure you were clean, and that the issue has been resolved.

What if you had not brought it up? Don't know. It may be that the Lord would have considered it resolved, and nothing. Or you may have had to answer for it someday down the road. To do as you did and resolve it with your bishop was the right thing to do.

First of all, I should say that I have been at varying degrees of activity through out my life. However for what ever reason-probably my growing maturity (I'm 40 yrs old) in the past five years, the gospel has become so prominate and defining in my life-- it makes sense where it didn't before-- And I love it, I have a testimony of its truthfullness as well as its goodness. Right now I teach Primary and serve on the RS Board.

Well, I am also a single mother, so my bishop keeps regular tabs on me. Yesterday we had a meeting and we discussed the possiblility of me getting a temple recommmend. I passed all of the recommend questions...well, until the end one-about sins--resolved with the proper priesthood authority.

I've had issues in the past and wanted them behind me--years ago, when I was soul searching and asking if I should go back to church, I prayed and greived and went before our Father - honestly and humble, with a 'broken heart and contrite spirit' and I truly felt His love and his acceptance and now I can say that I am not the same person as I used to be-nor will I ever be again.

Anyway, having this experience happen has made me ask the question-- What if I would have answered no to that question and received my recommend? What happens when there are issues that have not been resoved the specified way?

The line that really stands out for me is when you said that you "truly felt His love and His acceptance". If you really, truly felt His love and acceptance, then what more do you need? If you feel like God has truly forgiven you of this and that you have his complete acceptance, then why worry about anybody else and what they think? Nobody is going to be judging you on the day of judgement but God and God only, so if you feel that the Spirit is sincerely telling you that everything is O.K. between you and Him, then I'd rest assure that everything will be O.K. for you on that final day. It's like it says in the Bible that once He forgives you of your sins, "He remembers them no more". Without knowing what the question was and not knowing what it is you would be saying 'no' to, it sounds like you now have everything resolved and no longer have anything to feel guilty about anymore. Don't worry, be happy.:)