Missionary Work Poser

Guest mormonmusic

Guest mormonmusic

Here's a bit of a poser.

You're the Senior companion on your mission, new to the area, and not a native of the country you're in. Been on your mission about 6 months. You're naive, inexperienced, and free of experience in life's vices.

You've taught an investigator about the Word of Wisdom, after which he kind of clams up and seems not to accept it. You try to get him to open up about his concerns, but he doesn't want to.

You come back next week and he plops a sandwich bag of what appears to be short greenish grass in it, and states "I'm going to turn over a new leaf, so take this stuff out of my house, I don't want it anymore". Then he announces his desire to be baptized.

If you were the senior companion in this situation, how would you react to this situation, particularly to the sandwich bag of greenish material he's placed on the coffee table in front of you?

Edited by mormonmusic

Guest mormonmusic

At the end of the discussion my companion reached to pick it up the marijuana and take it out the door with him.

I initiated an impromptu toilet flushing ceremony on the spot.

I could've been a set up for all I knew, and the guy could have been antagonistic to the Church. Next thing you know, you're pulled over by the police and brought up on charges. Imagine the headlines "Mormon missionaries brought up on marijuana possession charges". Wouldn't have built relationships of trust with the Ward leadership, would it? Or looking on the bright side, maybe it was an opportunity to receive some instruction from prisonchaplain!

Edited by mormonmusic

simple...put it on the stove and burn it.

Depending on how much was there, that would result in a very interesting story with the Mission President.

"Hi, Mission President. I love you. Do you have any more of those cookies your wife makes? They're goooooood. Like... Really good."

"Yyyyes. Can you boys tell me why you were giggling at the baptism last night and smell like Amsterdam?"

Guest mormonmusic

Make sure you breathe deeply to overcome the stress of getting caught burning the green stuff. One needs that burning in the bosom to preserve their inner peace during such times.

Edited by mormonmusic

....Next thing you know, you're pulled over by the police and brought up on charges. Imagine the headlines "Mormon missionaries brought up on marijuana possession charges". Wouldn't have built relationships of trust with the Ward leadership, would it? Or looking on the bright side, maybe it was an opportunity to receive some instruction from prisonchaplain!

And depending on what country you were in would determine the seriousness of your troubles. But procession of drugs would be nothing compared to calling in a bomb threat on a plane. ;)

M.

• 3 weeks later...

Depending on how much was there, that would result in a very interesting story with the Mission President.

"Hi, Mission President. I love you. Do you have any more of those cookies your wife makes? They're goooooood. Like... Really good."

"Yyyyes. Can you boys tell me why you were giggling at the baptism last night and smell like Amsterdam?"

I thought it was brownies :P

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mormonmusic
Hidden

If you were here in Canberra Australia you most likely would have got a Cannabis Infringment Notice which is a fine, like a parking or speeding ticket.

And made the news....

• 4 months later...
Guest Elder_Bevan

Haha, I think this is really funny because I am serving my mission in the pot capital of the world, mendocino and humboldt counties. What I would do is that which has already been suggested. Flush it. I have run into people who just give us there bongs, or other things. but never a big bag of marijuanna even though it is everywhere.

I have taken cigarettes from ppl but never illegal substances. I would have dropped those in the toliet.

I have found that it's much more effective to help someone crush their own cigarettes into a state of disuse, or to pour their own alcohol down the drain, rather than to take the things from them, even if the items are given freely. There's something about destroying them yourself that is much more effective for those trying to break habits.

• 9 months later...
Hidden

George Carlin On Drugs And Marijuana - YouTube

Instead of trowing away the drug or condemn it you should explain this video messages.

It is the same as giving a fish each day to a hungry person or decide to teach him fish himself.

Trowing it away will not help with any of his future decisions, and is only a short term (pop-up) solution.

Hope the video helps people understand how to approach habits like this in life.

With kind regards and blessing to those ones in need.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't condone the use of recreational drugs and if anyone

needed my help to get rid of something they were abusing.

I would congratulate them and encourage them to flush it

down the toilette in front of me. Having them do it helps

to empower them. This never happened on my mission though.

Having said that, the drug war in the USA is hurting far more

people than drugs are. And it's not working either. True education

and health care are the most effective avenues to combat the

drug problem. Not law enforcement and fear mongering.

• 4 weeks later...

Ordinarily I wouldn't resurrect a thread this old, but as the deed has already been done I'll just point out that missionaries who participate in a burning/flushing ceremony may be implicated for obstruction of justice or a similar charge. You are, after all, destroying or encouraging the destruction of evidence of criminal activity.

Guest mormonmusic
Hidden

I see your point from a strict legal standpoint. Interesting predicament, then -- as a missionary, you have your choice, to comply fully with the law, is to report the evidence to the police and thus inadvertently punish the investigator's newfound repentence. Imagine how he would feel about joining the Church after that! I guess you could say "we can't accept the baggie, we encourage you to stop using it". But you imply the law says if you have knowledge of the marijuana, you are obligated to report it, just as someone is obligated in the case of rape or child abuse (or are you implying that?)

Or, you could say "thanks, but we rarely if ever use Oregano in our cooking".

• 11 months later...