An accurate statement regarding discussion forums?

Guest mormonmusic

Guest mormonmusic

I heard this quote the other day:

"Give a man (person) a mask and he'll finally tell you the truth".

How do you this applies to discussion forum participation? And does it accurately describe behavior you see on such forums ? If so, why, if not, why not?

I think the anonymity of the internet does lead to more honest discussion. I would say 80 % of the discussions here would not take place at church. Plus it gives you the opportunity to think out a response.

I love the opportunity to think out my response and put my thoughts forward in a more cohesive and polished manner. Not that I always take it mind you, I edit plenty, but I'm much more eloquent typed than I am in person.

I would say 80 % of the discussions here would not take place at church.

Certainly not the ones that happen in the advice forum. :D

How do you this applies to discussion forum participation? And does it accurately describe behavior you see on such forums ? If so, why, if not, why not?

I think the personality of a person online (when not identifiable) is usually an exaggeration of what they are like in real life. This is providing they aren't purposely trying to be someone online that they aren't.

I heard this quote the other day:

"Give a man (person) a mask and he'll finally tell you the truth".

I think it is true. I know it is in my case. I still don't cut loose completely with everything I feel or believe, simply because I don't think it's possible to do so in this medium. In person, I can do a better job. But I rarely if ever actually get the opportunity to do so.

So I am grateful for this forum.

HiJolly

Forums can allow for more honesty, but sometimes we simply praddle whatever comes into our heads, with far fewer filters. The result might not be more real, just more random and off-the-cuff. So, we can gain fresh insights, but we might consider being more forgiving when people occasionally "speak" before they think it through, and then offer a mea culpa.

Guest mormonmusic

I think the statement is has multi-sides to it.

First, you can parade as something you're not in order to further a self-serving agenda. The anti-Mormons who come here masquerading as truth seekers, hoping to make us think deeply about the error of our ways are a case in point. In this sense, the mask encourages falsehood.

On the other hand, because of the anonyminity of the Internet, you can also explore very true and sincere thoughts and doubts that are too contrarion to share at Church, or among friends. If someone disagrees, calls you to repentence, tells you you're apostate for thinking that way, then there are no consequences beyond the discomfort of the moment. You don't have to worry that you'll be excluded from callings or otherwise ostracized for your beliefs in your physical life, which is far more important than our virtual experiences here.

So, it's safer to be truthful on issues that are perhaps not socially acceptable in your real-world circle of friends.

I don't believe your true personality is necessary reflected in your posts though. The number of times people have drawn conclusions about other's emotional state or character based on a few statements baffles me. I read the same statements from the person being "judged" and can't see how others can reach those conclusions about the poster's character at all. So, inferences about peoples' true character can lead to false conclusions about who they really are. In that sense, the mask promotes untrue conclusions about character.

Edited by mormonmusic

I don't believe your true personality is necessary reflected in your posts though. The number of times people have drawn conclusions about other's emotional state or character based on a few statements baffles me. I read the same statements from the person being "judged" and can't see how others can reach those conclusions about the poster's character at all. So, inferences about peoples' true character can lead to false conclusions about who they really are. In that sense, the mask promotes untrue conclusions about character.

On the flip side I see plenty of the opposite. People accusing everyone of judging them when no such thing is happening.

Give a person a mask and they'll give you their whole opinion. That isn't equal to "the truth." It will still be baited by their personal agenda. On this list, we've had people "tell the truth" on themselves, but often in terms of blaming someone else for it. "I had sex with a person, but do I really have to talk to the bishop if I feel real bad about it?" "I did something bad, but it was really the other person who conned me into doing it...again and again and again."

What it does is allows people to let down some of their guard, and express their opinions and thoughts. It also allows them to be as snarky and insulting as they wish to be. For example, in person, Snow is a very charming, witty, and kind person. He does not have to be so as the "all seeing eye" of LDS.net. :)

the problem is with moderating imo, the feeling of power one must have when they can moderate, delete, and edit anothers speech is too much powerful for anyone.

I'm curious Dorave, what is your moderating experience?

Edited by Dravin

There seems to be no time at Church to discuss all the things discussed here. Nor would all the things discussed here be welcome during Church services.

Such forums provide a unique opportunity to contemplate ideas and even more unique - to express an opinion.

As a forum moderator elsewhere and admin of my own forum I can assure Dorave that ‘feelings of power’ do not come into it. It’s a necessary job which has to be done to prevent total anarchy at times.

I don’t know about the mask of the internet leading to truth. It certainly removes inhibition in some people in much the same way as alcohol so that they say things they would not necessarily say if sober or face to face.

I personally don't mind people looking at the real me in a forum (aka my avatar). Or even (good) people knowing exactly who I am. The only reason I don't include my last name, or exact location, is because there are creepies out there, lol. But I have no problem taking full responsibility for my own statements.

And I will say the same things in person, as I do online. I don't act any differently. :)

the problem is with moderating imo, the feeling of power one must have when they can moderate, delete, and edit anothers speech is too much powerful for anyone.

As a moderator here, I was soooo tempted to edit your response, just to prove you correct! However, I'll leave it alone, just to prove you wrong. :cool:

Moderating is not an easy thing, especially when you are doing it just because someone asked you to do it. We don't get any money nor personal benefit from being a moderator. It is volunteer work, and rarely with any benefit of any kind. With the exception of emergency bannings/deletions (spam, etc), before we do any major editing/banning of an individual, the moderators on the list actually discuss the issues at hand. There have been a few people on the list that I wanted to moderate, but gave in to the overall desires of the moderator group. And there have been times when they've acceded to my suggestions too.

I have been on email lists and chat lists for over 20 years now. I've seen lists melt down because the moderator could not/would not occasionally use a heavy hand. I've moderated a few lists in the past, and it is never a fun thing. One must always keep his own feelings in check, to ensure fairness happens. I've even banned myself temporarily from a few lists (even as a moderator) for a few weeks, just to get my head back together and in proper perspective. So it isn't quite how you seem to make it.

The Mods here work hard to be fair, and make this a quality list for people to enjoy.

I am what I am. The internet has given me an education that I could not afford. Some of it good and some of it bad. I have seen things I have never seen. I have heard things I have never heard. I can now sit here and listen to the prophet during conference instead of waiting for the next month's Ensign. I came to this forum by accident one morning. This is my first formum. lolol (As if some of you have not guessed) It has never occured to me to be other then what I am. I do think I might have to get a new mouse and keyboard. The delete key seems to be sticking. The mouse goes to edit sometimes by it's self. I have scriptures and a dictionary besides by desk. :) Sometimes it still does not work because sometimes I see things in a thread that others might not have ment. Sometimes I delete because I realize what I would be posting is repeating what others have stated. I see this as good. This means my way of thinking may or may not be right. ( :) it is according who I agree with. Hey, I am learning and this is good. I have laugh and this is good. I am what I am.

When speaking irl, as in speaking face-to-face or in a group, you take in verbal and non-verbal clues as to what to say or how to say it, and that can temper responses or even what topics to introduce. Posting on the internet frees you from the peer group mentality, so yes I think most people feel a greater sense of 'being who they are' when they type. I know when I'm out and about I usually have a bazillion things to think about and do that I probably don't pay as close attention to the topic under discussion as I should. Sitting here at my chair I can relax and give almost full attention to the topics and send my ideas out into the world, knowing that maybe some one out there agrees with me, or more likely doesn't and I'm ok with that :P

Posting on the internet frees you from the peer group mentality, so yes I think most people feel a greater sense of 'being who they are' when they type. :P

This seems so very accurate. Of course there will always be some pretending to be someone different for their own reasons, but for the most part I think the internet helps us present our true selves beyond the public mask we wear daily. If there was ever a time to share in Shakespeare's challenge of being true to ourselves, it is here without any pressure to be false.