Tithing and spousal support?

bl8tant

Spousal support yes because it is an increase, However child support is NOT subject to tithe.....Reason being is that its not your money but money set aside by the courts and the spouse for the children. Ive had several bishops state the same..Now ( IF ) you have extra and would like to tithe on it great....but if your struggle to get by no. :)

Sorry bro, but you got this wrong.

It does not take a bishop, or a person with an MBA to understand the letter of the law. The letter of the law is quite simple. You pay a 10th of your increase. There is absolutely nothing that attempts to define what an increase is. Increase is easily defined as "more than you had before". That's it. If you went with your philosophy of whether or not money has been tithed before, then one could reason that eventually every dollar in the world would eventually be tithed and there would no longer be a reason to pay it, since someone else already had.

Its quite clear in the articles of faith that we are not responsible for Adam's transgressions. I think this AoF can also teach us that our fathers also do not absolve us from responsibility either. And that would include tithing.

I agree with this, Most people forget though that ( More than you had before ).....Most woman after Divorce barely make it, or just get by on half of what they received before.....Do not put yourself in debt or on welfare over it, talk to your Bishop first.....Like I said before....I did pay on my alimony, however not everyone can afford to, but on my child support I did not, that money was not mine and I used it completely for my children....If she is worried about it, have her talk to her bishop....If she's getting both Alimony & Child support and that is her only income and its just enough to get by, he may allow her to clean the church twice a month instead of tithe too, Ive seen lots of sisters do that as well.... Again point being you can only do what you can do...But service is a great way to repay the lord when there's not enough funds :)

Just my little old two cents :)

Hugs All

• 2 weeks later...

I heard many states no longer mandate alimony. Child support is different. Does anyone know the rules on that?

This is true. My understanding of MO law is that they no longer do alimony. Instead, they do 'maintenance' which is intended to be a 'helping hand up' rather than a lifetime gift. Further, it is not normally awarded.

• 8 years later...
On 5/24/2010 at 9:11 PM, riverogue said:

"Now for the spirit of the law: Be as generous in calculating your tithing as you want the Lord to be in calculating your blessings."

Spirit of the Law: You can buy extra blessings by paying extra tithing.

Darn, I wish I had more money so that I could afford more super-spiritual merchandise.

So sassy XD