Soul Mates And Eternal Companions-- Same?

Melissa569

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Emphasis on any GOOD man, and any GOOD woman and IF BOTH ARE WILLING.

I'm still of the mind there are certain people we're more compatible with than others -- and this makes for an easier marriage with a higher probability of success. Spencer Kimball said we should try to marry people who seem to be as right as possible for us (I think he said -- someone who represents as much perfection as he could hope for or something similar). He cited similarity in race, socio-economic status, education (?) and other factors that make people similar to each other, as key variables. QUOTE]

I do agree with this. Certainly, there are people out there we naturally get along better with than certain others.

A couple years ago, my husband had a buddy named Duke... While I usually get along with all my husband's friends, lord, I just could not stand Duke, lol. By any deffinition, he was a "good and decent" person. He worked a respectable job, paid his bills, stayed out of trouble, helped his friends. But his extremely LOUD personality, and his bossy attitude, and his demand to controll all situations around him, and decide what everybody else gets to do.... The way he would just cut people off right in the middle of talking, or turn and start tlaking to someone else while you were trying to tell him something (especially if you are a woman, because depsite his *mostly* decent nature, he thought women were less than men, and his behavior reflected it).

Duke was LDS... But you know what? If I had been single, there wouldn't be a force on god's green earth that could ever make me capable of being happy with someone like that. Sorry, just.... No. After only 5 minutes around that guy, each and every time, I was ready to kill everyone in the room. I could only handle him in small doses. The man just drove me into a frenzy any time I was within eye sight or ear shot of him. No way could I live like that all my life, and I don't see how any woman could. We finally had to move to a new town, to get away from him (he lived right above us), because he was always at our door. I was a moody, crabby mess just being his neighbor!

If he were my only choice, I would rather be single and alone the rest of my life, lol. So obviously, some people you just CAN'T be with.

Edited by Melissa569

While the Church does not teach predestination it does teach pre-ordination. And if the topic being discussed here is soul mates, then aren't we really looking at the latter?

It is very possible for a man and a woman to have known each other in the pre-existence and be given the chance to meet and marry in the mortal world. To me, that sounds like soul mates.

:)

The Church teaches foreordination, not pre-ordination. The context in which the Church teaches foreordination is to the extent that Joseph Smith was foreordained to restore the Gospel, for example. Even then, however, the Church does not teach that it was an inevitable destiny for Joseph. At least once, Joseph was told that if he didn't do what he was commanded, that he'd be removed from his role and replaced with another who would obey.

While the Church does not teach predestination it does teach pre-ordination. And if the topic being discussed here is soul mates, then aren't we really looking at the latter?

It is very possible for a man and a woman to have known each other in the pre-existence and be given the chance to meet and marry in the mortal world. To me, that sounds like soul mates.

They have...

soul mates and eternal companions... I am not sure about while your on a mission,except if they do decide they have feelings,they should wait until the mission is over and then go from there.Do not do anything while on a mission. But as for soul mates and eternal companions,I don't feel it is the one and same.It just depends on how deep your feelings are,how committed you are to each other.I had thought of my husband as being my soul mate,but now I feel we are eternal companions.I have recently learned about forever families and all and I have tried to explain it all to my mother,who does not know anything about it.But I told her that is where I want to be...with my husband,children and grand children.

So I know now he is my soul mate and we are ternal companions.This took me a long time to conclude,not just being with him for a few weeks or months.We have been together going on 13 years.

Soul mating - any personal involvement from our Heavenly Parents is very rare and occasional may happen for a specific reason beyond our own physical comprehension. It simply - happens. A few here will disagree and may jump ‘up and down’, start ranting otherwise. :lol:

I highly doubt, we were zombies prior in coming here. In our pre-mortal birth, we had interactions as a spiritual family group; those we considered close friends may see or not see in this timeframe of earth history. Some may become our relatives. A close friend! A sibling in the same family or may reside on the opposite of the world. How do you really, if there was any pre-mortal association? That is left up to you decide.

Yet, I would caution anyone here, what is stated will require for one to see it for themselves in order to have a greater clarity on this subject.

I have thought on this subject many time and have always come to the came conclusion. If there was no choice or plan for our individual lives before coming to earth there is no possibility of choice and agency. I am convinced that we are what we have been becoming and we will continue as we are.

The Traveler

The Church teaches foreordination, not pre-ordination. The context in which the Church teaches foreordination is to the extent that Joseph Smith was foreordained to restore the Gospel, for example. Even then, however, the Church does not teach that it was an inevitable destiny for Joseph. At least once, Joseph was told that if he didn't do what he was commanded, that he'd be removed from his role and replaced with another who would obey.

Ok, other than splitting hairs on the definition, what is your point? I haven't made any indication that there is inevitable destiny. In fact, I am quite the opposite on this. There exists the possibility that some of what we encounter in this life was (pre)viously arranged. Just because the were planned be(fore) we came here does not remove our agency. We still have the ability to ruin what has been set in motion through our disobedience or sheer refusal to follow through.

Now, that is what I am putting forth here. Do you care to address that?

:banana:

Ok, other than splitting hairs on the definition, what is your point? I haven't made any indication that there is inevitable destiny. In fact, I am quite the opposite on this. There exists the possibility that some of what we encounter in this life was (pre)viously arranged. Just because the were planned be(fore) we came here does not remove our agency. We still have the ability to ruin what has been set in motion through our disobedience or sheer refusal to follow through.

Now, that is what I am putting forth here. Do you care to address that?

My point was to distinguish between predestination and foreordination. Since you made a hybrid of the two words, I wanted to clarify which it is that the Church teaches, whether it's you that needs clarification or anybody else reading this thread -- LDS or otherwise -- who might get confused.

Soul mating - any personal involvement from our Heavenly Parents is very rare and occasional may happen for a specific reason beyond our own physical comprehension. It simply - happens. A few here will disagree and may jump ‘up and down’, start ranting otherwise. :lol:

I highly doubt, we were zombies prior in coming here. In our pre-mortal birth, we had interactions as a spiritual family group; those we considered close friends may see or not see in this timeframe of earth history. Some may become our relatives. A close friend! A sibling in the same family or may reside on the opposite of the world. How do you really, if there was any pre-mortal association? That is left up to you decide.

Yet, I would caution anyone here, what is stated will require for one to see it for themselves in order to have a greater clarity on this subject.

I think in most cases we are not likely to know which, if any, of the people in our lives were important associations in the pre-existence. However, I would guess that as it applies to soul mates, that this could be the case. A soul mate could simply be someone that we were very close to previously and when we run into them here things just proceed smoothly. They could even be a person we previously agreed to marry when we met them in mortal existence.

Or you know, they could be a fiction like Spencer W. Kimball said. I think the concept of soul mates is a touch dangerous, it leads people to believe there is one person out there for which maintain a loving relationship with will require no effort. Or they will bind themselves to an idea that there must be this certain special (fictional) feeling (and I'm not talking love), some magical tingle that will inform them they are 'the one' or that there will be no fears or worries and if there are then they must not be their soul mate and to discard a possible future with a viable people with whom they could be in a loving, happy and successful relationship with.

I married someone I met whilst he was on his mission. We married four weeks after his return. We have been married now for 19 years with two children and have a very strong marriage. So yes, I believe that people can meet their eternal companions on their mission.

Everything fell into place for us. I knew him from almost the beginning of his mission, our personalities just clicked and we became friends. We lost touch but he then returned close to the area at the last of his mission. At the end of his mission we just knew we were meant to be together and it all flowed from there. He fulfilled an honorable mission and was released accordingly at the end. I do believe from our experiences together that we are meant to be together. I still say that after all these years and after all the hormones have died down.:lol:

I am a believer in if things are meant to be, then it will work out.

Or it could be factual.

If you find the idea that there could exist a person out there with whom you have an exceptionally strong bond, or are intended to marry, to be dangerous - that's up to you. I don't find either dangerous. of themselves. Any situation, any concept, can be taken to extreme and become something that is unhealthy and dangerous. That doesn't make the idea dangerous, it just means that we should be warned against extremism.

Depending on how you define a soul mate, I offer that they exist. My definition being a person with whom you have a high level of compatibility. That when you are joined it seems to be a very natural and logical fit for both.

No magical tingle involved. No special feeling other than "this seems very right." It doesn't require that any fear or worry over not having found a soul mate - it's just a bonus when you do.

Depending on how you define a soul mate, I offer that they exist. My definition being a person with whom you have a high level of compatibility. That when you are joined it seems to be a very natural and logical fit for both.

I don't disagree with your personal definition, but I think that there are more than one person who could fit that bill for each of us. The very concept of a "soul mate" is there is only one. President Kimball's counsel was to caution against getting into the "only one" mindset, when there very well are likely many possible options that fit your definition.

They have. . . what?

:confused:

Senior moment. I had to look back to see why I posted that comment.

Originally Posted by RanMan

It is very possible for a man and a woman to have known each other in the pre-existence and be given the chance to meet and marry in the mortal world.

Your last statement. There instances where two may have met prior to this earth and then meet again in mortality. Rare as it may seem, but it does happen.

I think in most cases we are not likely to know which, if any, of the people in our lives were important associations in the pre-existence. However, I would guess that as it applies to soul mates, that this could be the case. A soul mate could simply be someone that we were very close to previously and when we run into them here things just proceed smoothly. They could even be a person we previously agreed to marry when we met them in mortal existence. :)

Place to start is the knowledge of your own children pre-mortal status. ;)

How do you feel, when the person you are sealed to is complete opposite of you but told, this is the person to be sealed too?

Or it could be factual.

No offense, but I'm going to take Spencer W. Kimball's statements on the possible mechanizations of the preexistence over yours.

The standard concept of a soul mate is the one person with which you are compatible, for whom you are destined to wed, the person with whom you can truly be happy. The standard concept of a soul mate is an extreme. The idea that you are more compatible with some than others, what you seem to be calling a soul mate, is a non-starter.

Edited by Dravin
Removed Snark.

I think in most cases we are not likely to know which, if any, of the people in our lives were important associations in the pre-existence. However, I would guess that as it applies to soul mates, that this could be the case. A soul mate could simply be someone that we were very close to previously and when we run into them here things just proceed smoothly. They could even be a person we previously agreed to marry when we met them in mortal existence.

Let me see if I understand you correctly. Soul mates exist because we meet someone and things just "proceed smoothly" or we've made an agreement in the pre-mortal life with someone. Is that what you are saying?

So, if 2 people have a perfect relationship without any problems, concerns, arguments, etc., then they are soul mates. I would like to see a show of hands from those who are in a relationship (and it must be a significant one of over 1 year) who has not had any issues with their significant other or had to work diligently/strenuously for their relationship. Anyone?

Or, we made an agreement with someone we don't even remember. Didn't we all make agreements with Heavenly Father? How do you explain that some people don't live up to them? Or that my "soul mate" was born in 1852 while I was born in the 20th century? Be careful, if you say that the Lord will make it possible that we will be born in the same time frame and within reasonable circumstances to meet, then you are describing predestination--God sets the course for events to happen or not happen with or without our choice.

When it comes down to it, not only does logic scream in the face of "soul mates", but the voice of the Lord's prophet holds more weight than any modern western cultural idea. Reminds me of a thread I started a while ago that got sidetracked by a tangent.

No offense, but I'm going to take Spencer W. Kimball's statements on the possible mechanizations of the preexistence over yours.

The standard concept of a soul mate is the one person with which you are compatible, for whom you are destined to wed, the person with whom you can truly be happy. The standard concept of a soul mate is an extreme. The idea that you are more compatible with some than others, what you seem to be calling a soul mate, is a non-starter and quite frankly a "duh" statement.

I concur with President Kimball's comment for the masses [the church as a whole]. Only in rare cases this does happen.

Same line of quotations here. President Kimball once stated, [paraphasing] "...it is rare but a few Bishop have the authority to remove the burden, but may have the authority to remove the sin..." This also can be found in his book, 'Miracle of Forgiveness.' What a great man - Spencer Kimball. So much insight...

I don't disagree with your personal definition, but I think that there are more than one person who could fit that bill for each of us. The very concept of a "soul mate" is there is only one. President Kimball's counsel was to caution against getting into the "only one" mindset, when there very well are likely many possible options that fit your definition.

I guess I just haven't heard a soul mate described as "only one." I agree that there are many good matches and as previously stated by the Prophet, any good man and good woman can make a marriage work.

However, I still stick with the view that there can be one to whom you made arrangements with before coming to Earth. That could possibly make them the "best" option that will be available.

Your last statement. There instances where two may have met prior to this earth and then meet again in mortality. Rare as it may seem, but it does happen.

Not merely met, but knew each other in the pre-existence and arranged to be married in mortal life. This does happen.

Place to start is the knowledge of your own children pre-mortal status. ;)

Ok. I don't know my children's pre-mortal status, but I do have some knowledge of my own and the relationship I had with my parents. And that is what I am basing my statements on in regards to this discussion.

How do you feel, when the person you are sealed to is complete opposite of you but told, this is the person to be sealed too?

My wife is very opposite of myself. We do have the Church in common and similar family backgrounds. Personality wise, we are opposite though. In my case, I feel that this she is my soul mate. Her strengths compliment mine. As a single unit, we are much stronger than seperately. We benefit from these differences.

Ok. I don't know my children's pre-mortal status, but I do have some knowledge of my own and the relationship I had with my parents. And that is what I am basing my statements on in regards to this discussion.

Understandable with the parents...I am saying, YOU CAN KNOW. Do you hold the priesthood? This is the method of knowing.

My wife is very opposite of myself. We do have the Church in common and similar family backgrounds. Personality wise, we are opposite though. In my case, I feel that this she is my soul mate. Her strengths compliment mine. As a single unit, we are much stronger than seperately. We benefit from these differences.

Are you so opposite to the point, it bothers you daily? ^_^

[soul Mate] Drama being played out here: "Heavenly Mother, I don't know the reasoning behind this marriage but WHY HER?" :lol:

Or - you discovered through genealogy work, you are related by being 5th cousins from both mother side of the family. Coincident? Maybe! It begins to diminish noting the amount of people in this world in bringing two people together so they rejoin each other.

Edited by Hemidakota

Let me see if I understand you correctly. Soul mates exist because we meet someone and things just "proceed smoothly" or we've made an agreement in the pre-mortal life with someone. Is that what you are saying?

Well, soul mates would exist because they exist, or would not exist because there are none. However, as I understand a soul mate, it would be an ideal match between a man and woman. If this was discovered during the pre-existence then it would probably result in an agreement between them in the pre-mortal life.

That is what I'm saying.

So, if 2 people have a perfect relationship without any problems, concerns, arguments, etc., then they are soul mates. I would like to see a show of hands from those who are in a relationship (and it must be a significant one of over 1 year) who has not had any issues with their significant other or had to work diligently/strenuously for their relationship. Anyone?

Since man is not perfect, there is no such thing as a perfect relationship. We have flaws and they will impact every aspect of our life. So this is not anything I've attempted to indicate.

Just because two people are ideally suited to one another doesn't mean that there will never be difficulties. It just means it will be so very worth it to work it out. Which is also true for couples that do not fall into what I consider to be soul mates.

Or, we made an agreement with someone we don't even remember. Didn't we all make agreements with Heavenly Father? How do you explain that some people don't live up to them? Or that my "soul mate" was born in 1852 while I was born in the 20th century? Be careful, if you say that the Lord will make it possible that we will be born in the same time frame and within reasonable circumstances to meet, then you are describing predestination--God sets the course for events to happen or not happen with or without our choice.

Do you really need me to explain the principle of agency to you? I have said nothing about circumnavigating free choice.

And as far as an agreement being made, I think you stack the deck for your example of being born in seperate centuries. You leave out the possibility that we may have known when we would be sent to earth before making these agreements or even that Heavenly Father because of His love for us, would be willing to work with us on making it possible.

Your statement about God and when He sends a person down to Earth being a matter of predestination is wrong. Predestination means something will happen. Setting up circumstances so that something can happen does not force us into any particular action. Otherwise Fore-Ordination would be a violation of the same principle. And this stance ignores all of the input we have had to the contrary. Do you not believe the prophets when they say that this, or that, generation was held back to be sent to Earth at this time? How is that any different? Does that magically mean everyone who is sent here will succeed in their mission - thereby bypassing free will? I've heard it described that Joseph Smith was sent to Earth at the time he was so he could fulfill the mission he'd been given to restore the gospel. Did that violate his free will?

Anyone can come up with scenarios to question any concept. If you want to find a reason to reject it - please don't bother. Just reject it.

When it comes down to it, not only does logic scream in the face of "soul mates", but the voice of the Lord's prophet holds more weight than any modern western cultural idea. Reminds me of a thread I started a while ago that got sidetracked by a tangent.

I don't base my arguments on western cultural ideas. I base it on revelation.