If the Bishop and one counselor are not on the stand

martybess

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If no member of the bishopric were present, the HPG leader would preside. I've personally never seen this, but this is what my SP told me.

I don't think a deacon would ever preside over a ward since they do not hold the Melchizedek priesthood. The member of the HC would preside in that case, however unlikely.

I was in that position once -- as 2nd Counselor in the Bishopric -- when the Bishop and 1st Counselor were away. The ward was crawling with temple presidents, former stake presidents, and high counsellors, as well as many ex-Bishopric.

I was told about 3 times afterwards I should've had the High Priest Group leader up there with me so there was more than one person listening for correct wording of the Sacrament prayer. I think they even suggested the EQ president be up there as well.

Perhaps MOE should pull out his handbook and tell him if I was getting good information at the time from these men of experience who chastised me after the meeting.

It was already answered....

AFter 54 posts, hasn't this been answered by now?

Not definitively, actually. There have been many answers, but they are all based on personal interpretation. The only universally conclusive correct answer is "whomever the bishop or stake president appoints in his stead."

Quote:

Originally Posted by mormonmusic

I was in that position once -- as 2nd Counselor in the Bishopric -- when the Bishop and 1st Counselor were away. The ward was crawling with temple presidents, former stake presidents, and high counsellors, as well as many ex-Bishopric.

I was told about 3 times afterwards I should've had the High Priest Group leader up there with me so there was more than one person listening for correct wording of the Sacrament prayer. I think they even suggested the EQ president be up there as well.

Perhaps MOE should pull out his handbook and tell him if I was getting good information at the time from these men of experience who chastised me after the meeting.

It was already answered....

Technically....only the presiding authority can ask the sacrament prayer to be repeated. Even if a counselor questions it, the presiding authority is the only one who can have it repeated.

• 1 year later...

Here is the handbook answer:

18.2 Ward Meetings

The bishop oversees ward meetings. He presides at these meetings unless a member of the stake presidency, an Area Seventy, or a General Authority attends. His counselors may conduct ward meetings and may preside if he is absent. Presiding authorities and visiting high councilors should be invited to sit on the stand. High councilors do not preside when attending ward meetings.

If the bishop and his counselors are all absent, the stake president designates who presides at sacrament meeting. Normally he designates the high priests group leader, but he could authorize another priesthood holder instead.

Hopefully this clears up any confusion.