Canning with a Vacuum Sealer

Raven21633

I tried to do a search on this before I posted, but I don't think the search engine is working for me. :(

I have a Tilia Vacuum Sealer which I have used for about 10 years and LOVE, especially the Mason jar sealer.

A couple of day's ago I was watching a video about how to use a #10 can sealer. You put your dry goods in, drop in an o2 absorber, put the lid on and roll the seams shut. Poof, now you have something that will last for years.

I began wondering if I couldn't do the same with Mason jars and a vacuum sealer?

How long would dry-goods last with an o2 absorber and vacuum sealed?

The reasons for this are:

1. We have no LDS cannery anywhere close to where we live, in fact, I don't believe there is one in our state.

2. Buying up #10 cans for staple items like flour, oats, pasta etc. is rather expensive when we can get them cheaper at the local grocer.

3. Using up #10 cans can be a challenge, especially if it's something that will not last more than a few weeks.

So I would like to store long-term, but in smaller quantities, and from goods that are readily available locally.

I guess the biggest enemy of anything I sealed would be light but stored in a dark closet that shouldn't really be a problem should it?

• 3 months later...

Another question about vac-sealing.

Do you need O² absorbers when using a vacuum sealer?

I've seen a couple of discussions on this but can't find them now. I think the general concensus was that no, adding O² absorbers AND vac-sealing is redundant, as your sucking all the oxygen out anyway, but it would seem to me that adding absorbers would ensure total coverage as it would absorb any resididual oxygen left after the vacuum sealing process.

Also, how long does home-canned vacuum sealed flour last? I've got some about a year old now and wondering should I toss it? or will it last 35 years like the #10 cans?

I use the vacuum seal for my jars all the time. I put the oxygen absorber in it also. I've read that if you put the jars in a dark, cool place that it will last the same as the cans. The only thing with the jars is that you have to check from time to time to see if the lid is still sealed.

My jars have always held the seal except the ones with powdery contents. I bought some seasonings in bulk and some of those jars come unsealed from time to time. Everything else is fine.

When I open a #10 can, I always seal what's left over in a jar with an oxygen absorber. I love my food saver jar vacuum sealer. It's great.

I've been having fun dehydrating peaches and vegetables and I use jars to store it.

Wow! I've just realized how much money I'm saving just by canning my own flour.

I've been looking at white flour in #10 cans, and I thought it might not be a bad idea to just buy big cans of flour and have them around instead of bothering to can my own, but then I asked the one really big question... just how much product is actually in those big cans?

My answer.... 2 batches. (or 4 home-baked loaves).

My recipe for flour calls for 5 to 6 cups of flour total. I mix in the first ~ five cups (depending on humidity) and work in as much as needed of the rest on the board. But I still need to have 6 cups on hand.

According to the web page, a #10 can will hold ~64 3Tbl servings. 64 x 3 = 192 Tbl/can

1 Tbl = ~½ oz. 192/2 = 96 oz.

1 Cup = ~8 oz. 96 oz. / 8 oz. = 12 Cups!

12 Cups of flour / 6 cups per batch of dough = 2 batches of dough.

That's what I get out of a single 5 lb bag of bread flour from the store.

One more addendum to this thread, I found a site that lists the storage life of most of the items I was curious about.

I was worried about keeping home-canned flour (with O2 absorbers) for more than a year, but this say's they'll last up to 5 years.

https://www.usaemergencysupply.com/information_center/storage_life_of_foods.htm

I also discovered why it is suggested to store wheat instead of flour.

The shell of the wheat kernel helps preserve the inner kernel. Remove the shell and the kernel will last about 5 years if sealed with proper O2 absorbers, but if you store the kernels whole with the proper O2 absorbers, the wheat will last about 35+ years!

Boy! Talk about reducing the shelf-life! ha ha.

Edited by Raven21633
I accidently clicked edit.

Vacuum sealing in mason jars is great. I do it myself. Especially for things that are not available to be caned in #10 cans, and/or, after I open a #10 can, I use the vacuum jars to store the remainder of the product. There are advantages and disadvantages. The biggest disadvantage is that they are breakable. I suggest that you make some type of restraining system, such as a simple board across the front of the shelf to keep them from falling off the shelf. (Most important in earth quake country). Also try ½ gallon mason jars.

Some misconceptions are that vacuum sealing removes the oxygen. It does not. Vacuum sealing reduces the amount of air in the jar. The remaining air is still 78% nitrogen, 21% oxygen, (the remaining approx 1% is comprises of Argon, CO2, Neon, Helium, Krypton, and Xenon).

Most O2 absorbers are made of iron filings that attract the O2 and moisture and combine them to make rust, which encapsulates the O2 and the moisture. When combining vacuum sealing and an O2 absorber, the O2 absorber does not “work” as hard and if, after opening a vacuum sealed jar, the O2 absorber is still pliable it can be resealed in the jar for short term use. You can see that if the O2 is removed, you have created a nitrogen pack for your foods.

When you have purchased your food in bulk, either from a supplier or from the cannery, it is possible that it may contain bugs or the eggs of bugs (that are so small we can’t even see them). When using the O2 absorber, and removing the oxygen, it is still possible for the eggs to hatch and then die off, so that when you open a can you might see a bug or two (not harmful)

I have read, but can not confirm that if you take your #10 cans and place them in the freezer for 48 hours it will freeze and “explode” the eggs or otherwise destroy them while leaving the can & contents intact. (I wouldn’t do it with glass jars). I can not do this totally when I get home but accomplish it over a period of weeks. It seems logical and I freeze flour, milk, pasta, potato flakes and other powdery things.

I have not done it with wheat. I should probably do a test and see if the wheat grains explode when frozen.

We had been having a bad moth problem in our pantry. I read about the insect egg's and freezing them so I started doing that to the dry bagged cat and dog food before putting them in the pantry. While we still have an occasional moth I would guess that 95% of the moths are gone. We had always kept the small amount of bagged flour that we had to make gravy in the freezer, I now will start putting everything from grain in there first.

Thanks CD :)

I buy store-brand flour and portion it into quart mason jars (one 5 pound bag will fill a little over 3 quart sized mason jars).

I read that about freezing your flour somewhere too about a year ago so I take one of my Foodsaver bags and place my whole flour bag (unopened) inside just to keep any moisture in the freezer from getting to the flour, and freeze it for 48 hours. I don't vac the bag, I just seal it because at this point I'm only concerned about moisture getting into the flour.

I've never seen bugs so I don't know if it works or not, but like I said, I've never seen any bugs hatching out after a year of storage.

I only started doing this last fall though, so I only have 1 year's experience with this :D

• 1 month later...

hi I use mason jars and sealer all the time. I buy 50 lb bag flour (honeyvillegrain) and 1/2 I put in mylar bags and the other half in the jars. If you can get a good seal, I don't use the absorber. If you don't or can't seal the jar, I just put a 100 cc absorber in the jar. I also put a paper towel over the flour BEFORE using the sealing machine so no flour gets sucked into your machine. with the absorbers the buggies can't live so I don't freeze my flour or grains/beans.