Church history books?

JThimm88

Being a convert to the church, I don't necessarily know as much about church history as someone who has been a member their entire life might. In that case, I was wondering if anyone might be able to recommend any good, and hopefully easy to understand, books on church history?

The first person to suggest The Work and The Glory will get the full wrath of the bovine and her tongue.

How about "The Work and the Glory"? :cool:

Seriously though, its a historical novel and isn't bad. The author ends each chapter by stating what is real and what is fiction

Seriously though, its a historical novel and isn't bad. The author ends each chapter by stating what is real and what is fiction

I've actually seen the movies... does that count? :rolleyes:

My mother-in-law gave me the books at one point, but they were huuuuge... looked so daunting!

Being a convert to the church, I don't necessarily know as much about church history as someone who has been a member their entire life might. In that case, I was wondering if anyone might be able to recommend any good, and hopefully easy to understand, books on church history?

Elder B.H. Roberts of the Seventies, was tasked to gather up all the journals and writings of the church past to create church history. It is a six-volume set called the Comprehension 'History of the Church.'

LDS Books

You want a fast and easy read with a broad scope and sufficient depth, a great starter book is Latter Days: An Insiders Guide to Mormonism by Coke Newell, St. Martin Griffin, 250 pages.

"This is an astonishing story told incredibly well. Coke Newell has helped lift the Latter-day Saints into the forefront of Christian discourse and relevance." Stephen Covey (7 Habits of Highly Effective People.

"Among the most intimate and impressive tellings of this story I have ever read." Richard Paul Evans (author of #1 New York Times bestseller: The Christmas Box)

You can get it cheap and fast online.

'

Just be careful with this series though if wanting to learn facts about Mormon History. It's a fictional series based on some historical facts.

You want a fast and easy read with a broad scope and sufficient depth, a great starter book is Latter Days: An Insiders Guide to Mormonism by Coke Newell, St. Martin Griffin, 250 pages.

"This is an astonishing story told incredibly well. Coke Newell has helped lift the Latter-day Saints into the forefront of Christian discourse and relevance." Stephen Covey (7 Habits of Highly Effective People.

"Among the most intimate and impressive tellings of this story I have ever read." Richard Paul Evans (author of #1 New York Times bestseller: The Christmas Box)

You can get it cheap and fast online.

I was also going to recommend Latter Days.

Elder B.H. Roberts of the Seventies, was tasked to gather up all the journals and writings of the church past to create church history. It is a six-volume set called the Comprehension 'History of the Church.'

LDS Books

Agreed. Read this set on my mission. However, be warned, it is LONG (7 large volumes) and it reads like a diary. It's not an easy thing to get through in that sense.

Is that your opinion ttribe? :)

M.

Lol! I suppose there is some irony in my statement. The point I was trying to make is that there appears to be an "agenda" being served by much of what Signature does, and which they do not acknowledge. Namely, they tend to lean towards a rather negative view in their analysis of Church history. This becomes especially problematic insomuch as the study of any history requires the interpretation of events and, oftentimes, "filling in the blanks" where documentation can't.

You could be daring and give Signature Books a try.

Signature Books

M.

Maureen, are there any specific books here that could be recommended?

Speaking of specific books, I would like to recommend a new one: Come, Let Us Adore Him by Denver C. Snuffer, Mill Creek Press, Salt Lake City. This is not about the Church, but rather the ministry of Jesus.

:)

No Man Knows My Pastries: The Secret (Not Sacred) Recipes of Sister Enid Christensen

ROGER B. SALAZAR and MICHAEL G. WIGHTMAN

Paperback. 127 Pages. / 1-56085-028-0 / $8.95

Posted Image“A Marvelous Work with Wonder Bread,” “Jesus-Fed-the-Multitudes Tuna Helper,” and “I Knead Thee Every Hour Rolls” are among the special heirloom recipes reluctantly shared by Sister Christensen in No Man Knows My Pastries. This faux cook book chronicles the special love affair Mormons have with lowbrow eating and provides easy, step-by-step directions for preparation of the likes of bologna mock chicken wings.

Sister Christensen illustrates her favorite culinary hints with photographs of herself with her buns in the kitchen and of Brother Christensen at his TV tray wolfing down her delectable delights. Her ingenious “Jell-O-Matrix” will help readers match flavors and ingredients with appropriate party themes; her “Mauve Wedding Punch” is guaranteed to match bridesmaids’ dresses; and kids will “massacre” her “Mountain Meadows Muffins.” From “In-Breads” to “Just Desserts,” everyone can savor the self-identified “kreme” of Utah cuisine.

“I’ve been mobbed for a recipe after more than one pot luck,” Sister Christensen admits in her preface. It “makes me sad to think there are brethren and sisters who have not discovered the joy of diced Spam casserole.” Out of duty to the betterment of ward dinners everywhere, she was persuaded to go into print. “So, sisters,” she concludes, “get out your aprons and let’s get cooking.”

------------------------

While not exactly history, this one could provide the gluten.

Maureen, are there any specific books here that could be recommended?...

The books that I have that I can recommend are:

The Mormon Hierarchy: Origins of Power and The Mormon Hierarchy: Extensions of Power by D. Michael Quinn

"Wild Bill" Hickman and the Mormon Frontier by Hope A. Hilton

In Sacred Lonliness: The Plural Wives of Joseph Smith by Todd Compton

The books I don't have but would like are:

An Abundant Life: The Memoirs of Hugh B. Brown, Edwin B. Frimage, Editor

Inside the Mind of Joseph Smith: Psychobiography and the Book of Mormon by Robert D. Anderson

Salamander: The Story of the Mormon Forgery Murders by Linda Sillitoe and Allen Roberts, George J. Thorckmorton, Forensic Analysis

Four Zinas: A Story of Mothers and Daughters on the Mormon Frontier by Martha Sontag Bradley and Mary Brown Firmage Woodward

M.

Edited by Maureen

'

Just be careful with this series though if wanting to learn facts about Mormon History. It's a fictional series based on some historical facts.

In all honesty, I don't plan on reading the books, even for enjoyment, and especially not in regards to the history of the church, as they're even found in the fiction section of bookstores. Any book I'd be reading on the subject would definitely have to be in the non-fiction section. :)