How Wide The Divide?

prisonchaplain

I've finally finished it--and it was an eye-opener. Mormons and evangelicals who want to understand the other system better, and perhaps your own as well, would do well to read this book. Its nearly 200 pages are accessible, yet dense with content. I plan to reread it with a highlighter! Perhaps most useful for us at this board, is that the Mormon and Evangelical writers here are professors and friends. Thus, they model interfaith conversation that is intelligent, uncompromising, and yet respectful, and built out of mutual friendship.

For my complete review, see the following:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/083081991...glance&n=283155

By the way, if you find the review helpful, give me a vote. Also, if you find the book worthwhile, recommend it, and cast some votes at the url I gave you...increased traffic will discreetly inform site visitors that this book is generating interest.

Originally posted by prisonchaplain@Jan 6 2006, 10:20 PM

I've finally finished it--and it was an eye-opener.  Mormons and evangelicals who want to understand the other system better, and perhaps your own as well, would do well to read this book.  Its nearly 200 pages are accessible, yet dense with content.  I plan to reread it with a highlighter!  Perhaps most useful for us at this board, is that the Mormon and Evangelical writers here are professors and friends.  Thus, they model interfaith conversation that is intelligent, uncompromising, and yet respectful, and built out of mutual friendship.

For my complete review, see the following:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/083081991...glance&n=283155

By the way, if you find the review helpful, give me a vote.  Also, if you find the book worthwhile, recommend it, and cast some votes at the url I gave you...increased traffic will discreetly inform site visitors that this book is generating interest.

I agree.

It's a great book. I've reviewed it for this site too but I think that was before all the posts were wiped out. I think both parties write well and relate well to one another. I keep a copy handy by my desk - as you can probably tell from a number of my posts.

I followed your link and read some of the reviews at Amazon. There was one that I noticed that is a constant criticism I hear from "Christians" about Mormons who engage in conversations with Evangelicals, namely that Mormons are not honest about what they believe or are hiding their beliefs or watering them down... in other words, says the critic, "Believe what I tell you that you believe or you are a liar." Fortunately this book is free from that kind of nonsense.

Originally posted by Snow@Jan 8 2006, 02:47 PM

Twas one that I noticed that is a constant criticism I hear from "Christians" about Mormons who engage in conversations with Evangelicals, namely that Mormons are not honest about what they believe or are hiding their beliefs or watering them down... in other words, says the critic, "Believe what I tell you that you believe or you are a liar." Fortunately this book is free from that kind of nonsense.

There are three causes for such accusations. #1. Lack of trust. Many evangelicals and Mormons do not trust each other. We believe the worst of each other. So, when you're nice you're buttering me up. When you're mean you're showing your true stripes.

#2. As Blomberg admits, much evangelical apologetics material is simply out of date, or of poor quality to begin with. Yet, most evangelical laypeople do not have the training or knowledge to discern this reality.

#3. The language barrier is subtle but huge. Mormons and evangelicals share a similar vocabulary, but often attach different meanings to words. Additionally, Mormon and evangelicals have vastly different assumptions about the nature of God, creation, and the plan of salvation. So, when we speak to each other, or read each other's writings there's often a disconnect. We know what it's suppose to mean (using our own theological lenses), but we sense it's not the same. Quite often it isn't. Then we wonder if we're being intentionally deceived, or what is going on. Again, the answer is different meanings for certain theological words, and different assumptions about the grand scheme.

The solution is time and patience. Robinson and Blomberg can write as they do because they've learned each other's languages, theological assumptions, and, to a lesser extent, histories. Yet, even with this knowledge, I sensed the two occasionally struggled to full understand each other. However, if we're to "love one another," then struggle we must.

• 2 years later...

Wow. The book is sold at Deseret, at Christianbooks.com, and at Amazon. So, LDS, evangelicals, and the secular market all see merit. If it was all love and hugs, there would have been nothing to feel those 200 pages with. But, sadly, for some, contention feels safer.