D&C Question

Landy77

I guess my question is how come they are not added to the D&C

I'm assuming what you mean is why aren't the revelations that prophets such as President Hinckley or Thomas S. Monson, or men who have been prophets after the revelations of D&C were put together, in the D&C?

I have the same question, if that is the case. I'm not sure that the posters above understood that, as they handed you the declarations, which they're correct to share those as they have been added (a.k.a. they're not Joseph's revelations), but you're probably wondering why recent revelations haven't been added?

I kind of wondered the same thing, not so much why it hasn't been added but why it hasn't been written and distributed in a book. If we are all suppose to follow the prophets word it's a little hard to know about any changes or additions when you are new to the church or like me reactivated after many, many years. I do know that we are told that The ensign magazine is considered modern day scripture because it has the teachings of the currents prophets in them monthly. My husband and I were just discussing this very topic and he wanted know were he could get a list of all the new guidelines since the D&C. We were discussing whether or not energy drinks go against the teachings of the church. I said yes because we have been advised by the Prophets to not drink them, he wanted to see it in black and white. I'm sure I could go dig through past ensigns and find exactly what and when and which prophet said it. Now correct me if I am wrong but when Joseph Smith translated the BofM and did the D&C wasn't there a portion of sealed plates left to be opened at a later time? Maybe it's coming.

Edited by Baycitygirl

Even at the time the D&C was compiled, not every revelation the Church leaders received made it into that book. And some of what's in the D&C is a very watered-down version of the original revelatory experience (OD-2 being an example; compare it to Arrington's (second-hand) account of the experience in his Adventures of a Church Historian).

Just because the Church hasn't canonized any revelations lately, doesn't mean it isn't receiving them. It just means that the GAs haven't seen fit to submit those revelations verbatim to the Church at large--perhaps because a) they are mostly repeats of stuff that is already canonized, b) the Church isn't righteous enough to receive them, or c) the Church is so righteous that it's already (generally speaking) living the principles embodied in those revelations.

Edited by Just_A_Guy

There are different types of Revelation. Probably more then I even think of. The Type of Revelation generally found in the D & C is more about Restoration. Either Restoring Knowledge lost, or correcting what is wrong. Today we don't need this type of revelation. We have the church on the earth, and we have generation(s) of people living the Gospel. The official declarations were actually more a change in revelation, thus the reason why they are in the D&C.

If there was change to the Church doctrine, or new Knoweledge came, this would be put in the D&C.

Another type of revelation is more the day to day things with the church. This is not really about Doctrine, but about procedures. Really they deal with how the church is run. If every revelation that came to EVERY church leader was put down in a book, there would never be a time to ever publish it. To me these kinds of revelations are like how Pres. Hinckley decided to start building smaller temples. Honestly that’s how temples were built back in the day. Why nobody else thought of this, is why it had to come From God.

Another type of revelation isn't really revelation in the full sense, but more of a Reminder. This is what we get at church, and at General Conference. Most of the time you don't hear anything new, at least not new doctrine. You just hear the doctrine in a different light, or explained a different way. The point of this is really to keep you on the straight path, or even more to help you have the spirit more, so you can get your own revelation on how to get back to Heavenly Father.

Its more the gospel spurs the revelation for each of us.

The proclamation on the Family is a good example of this. No real new doctrine, just simple and plan of what we should be doing.

Really now days we live more by this, found in the D&C:

D&C 58:26

For behold, it is not meet that I should command in all things; for he that is compelled in all things, the same is a slothful and not a wise servant; wherefore he receiveth no reward.

Now correct me if I am wrong but when Joseph Smith translated the BofM and did the D&C wasn't there a portion of sealed plates left to be opened at a later time? Maybe it's coming.

Joseph Smith translated the Book of Mormon. Most of the D&C was a revelation.

The book of Mormon does have a sealed portion (actually most of the plates where sealed). Its actually an account of what the Brother of Jared saw. There will be a day when we get it. But we first have to prove we can use the Book of Mormon (an probably the D&C) first before more well come.

Edited by tubaloth

Here is a quote from the explanation introduction found in the beginning of D&C:

"The Doctrine and Covenants is a collection of divine revelations and inspired declarations given for the establishment and regulation of the kingdom of God on the earth in the last days....However, the Doctrine and Covenants is unique because it is not a translation of an ancient document, but is of modern origin and was given of God through his chosen prophets for the restoration of his holy work and the establishment of the kingdom of God on the earth in these days."

That explanation makes me think that the D&C is primarily for the restoration of the Lord's Kingdom on earth. When we look at the 2 Declarations included, these also discuss more of the restoration of knowledge or authority. I'm not sure if we've had anything since that time that is a restoration of something....mainly, the revelations we've gotten from the prophets since that time is simply clarification of revealed knowledge. I'm thinking now of the Proclamation to World on families....nothing necessarily new in that, but just a more succinct explanation. I will admit I've wondered if that will make it's way into the canonized D&C eventually.

Can anyone tell me why the last D&C was almost one hundred years ago? There has been no revelations handed down since then?

New movements, especially new religious movement are almost always founded by charismatic, dynamic, visionary leaders. After the first couple generations, authority moves from the charismatic / visionary to the institutional / administrative.

We can't even live up to the commandments of the scriptures we've been given. We can't even home/visit teach as a church at better than a 35% clip, and thus we can't adequately administer to the sick/afflicted in our own culture alone. Who are we to ask for additions to the canon?

Are we the Gentiles of 3 Ne 21:22? Or are we the Gentiles of the eight verses that precede it?

It is an elementary principle that prerequisites precede the advanced courses of any discipline. And we are talking about a discipline here, aren't we?

So... disciples. Seriously take the fundamentals into your heart. Study what we have like a buddhist monk. Obey the commandments as if Jesus lives in your closet and you have to face up to him after work every day (it's the truth anyway). Take the sacrament as if you're Jonah, and the chapel is the whale. Administer in your calling as if all your relationships depend on it, and fast for MANY days (but probably not consecutively). Fast like Alma the younger and all the other badasses of scripture who eventually didn't even need scriptures cuz they got to the point to where they were spittin' scripture like mad game on the fly whenever they opened their mouths. That's where your "open canon" really exists for the purpose of expansion. In your very soul.

Saturation leads to crystallization. And it is crystals that can actually do something interesting with light.

Honestly haven't read all the answers, but my view on it is that Joseph smith has the bulk of the revelations because he needed to restore the church's doctrine. I kind of look at it as Moses and Leviticus and Deuteronomy, Moses restored Israel and as such received a ton of 'law' information. His Priesthood handbook, while in contrast the subsequent prophets did not receive such things, but the old testament is mainly history and not law. The same happened with Jesus when he came and restored/reformed the church. He taught the New law, but the rest of the NT is mainly letters clarifying policy and church business. Like so JS restored the Church from apostasy, received the necessary law and revelation, but since then there has been little need to receive revelation of law in the same quantity, but only occasional clarification and rare additional revelation.

All in all I see the church leaders receiving revelation but not "lay down law" type that Joseph smith needed because we have the law, rather it would be more like the Pauline epistles.

I kind of wondered the same thing, not so much why it hasn't been added but why it hasn't been written and distributed in a book. If we are all suppose to follow the prophets word it's a little hard to know about any changes or additions when you are new to the church or like me reactivated after many, many years. I do know that we are told that The ensign magazine is considered modern day scripture because it has the teachings of the currents prophets in them monthly. My husband and I were just discussing this very topic and he wanted know were he could get a list of all the new guidelines since the D&C. We were discussing whether or not energy drinks go against the teachings of the church. I said yes because we have been advised by the Prophets to not drink them, he wanted to see it in black and white. I'm sure I could go dig through past ensigns and find exactly what and when and which prophet said it. Now correct me if I am wrong but when Joseph Smith translated the BofM and did the D&C wasn't there a portion of sealed plates left to be opened at a later time? Maybe it's coming.

Sister, look it up in ENSIGN December 2008 issue. I was more than exceedingly happy upon seeing the article in my copy. A lot of members including some full time missionaries have expressed disgust whenever I advise them against consuming popular cola drinks (the topic in the ENSIGN is about energy drink but colas and other common beverages were included),now I have something solid to show them. You can also look for it in the Doctrine and Covenants Student Manual (for Institute Class) 89:9--"Are Other Drinks Forbidden by the Word of Wisdom?" Actually, I was just reminded by my friend here, while we are reading your post, that I do have a copy of the December 2008 issue of the ENSIGN. Good thing I found it!:lol:

Oh and by the way, yes, there is a sealed portion in the gold plates and they will be opened at a latter time. When? We don't know.

Edited by anim82r

Sister, look it up in ENSIGN December 2008 issue. I was more than exceedingly happy upon seeing the article in my copy. A lot of members including some full time missionaries have expressed disgust whenever I advise them against consuming popular cola drinks (the topic in the ENSIGN is about energy drink but colas and other common beverages were included),now I have something solid to show them. You can also look for it in the Doctrine and Covenants Student Manual (for Institute Class) 89:9--"Are Other Drinks Forbidden by the Word of Wisdom?" Actually, I was just reminded by my friend here, while we are reading your post, that I do have a copy of the December 2008 issue of the ENSIGN. Good thing I found it!:lol:

Oh and by the way, yes, there is a sealed portion in the gold plates and they will be opened at a latter time. When? We don't know.

Perhaps you didn't notice that the article you are referencing was written by no one in a position to make binding doctrinal statements. The author is a family physician who consults with the Missionary Medical Department.

I did enough research on this to draw a simple conclusion:

1] The young man is among us now that will have the same ‘SEERSHIP’ ability and be allowed to use that key that has not been seen since Joseph’s day. He will be a type Moses and Joseph Smith, rolled into one. His discernment must be on the order of Solomon of old as wisdom of the old patriarchs. One thing though, he will move quickly through callings, following the same path that President Monson walked in his church callings. This calling was pre-ordained for him and was done prior to this earth.

2] The plates itself are located nearby where the New Zion will be built. Along with all Prophet Moroni carried forth from Mesoamerica to North America.

3] The sealed plates will come forth when all telestial beings are removed. This translated work and published knowledge, is only for those who are either living celestial or terrestrial laws. I put it in this content, reasoning in using Joseph statement about the sealed portion will be unburied and translated during the time when the Saints it begin to build the city in Jackson county. If that is case, this will happen after the world have completed its return to the Lord’s hand again.

Does that make sense?