So what do u all think of this mess, where in cause of BP Oil

Roseslipper

--------------------

News Alert: Effort to contain Gulf oil stalls with stuck saw

10:04 AM EDT Wednesday, June 2, 2010

--------------------

SCHRIEVER, La. — Coast Guard Adm. Thad Allen is saying that a saw has become stuck as it was cutting through a pipe on a busted well, stalling the latest attempt to contain the Gulf oil gusher.

Allen said Wednesday the goal is to free the saw and finish the cut later in the day. This is the second major cut in the effort to contain — not plug — the nation's worst spill.

Allen says the first cut with giant shears was successful overnight.

The best chance at plugging the leak involves a relief well that is at least two months from completion.

Story will be updated with new developments.

For more information, visit washingtonpost.com:

washingtonpost.com - nation, world, technology and Washington area news and headlines

Can we plug the leak first... please???? Sigh.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is due to the depth [5200 feet down].

--------------------

News Alert: BP cuts pipe off lower marine riser package

10:28 AM EDT Thursday, June 3, 2010

--------------------

Crews successfully cut oil pipe a mile below the sea and will attempt to cap it and pump crude oil to the surface in latest attempt to repair massive oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico, a U.S. Coast Guard official says.

President Obama will return to the Gulf Coast again Friday to inspect the damage and response efforts.

washingtonpost.com - nation, world, technology and Washington area news and headlines

It is due to the depth [5200 feet down].

--------------------

News Alert: BP cuts pipe off lower marine riser package

10:28 AM EDT Thursday, June 3, 2010

--------------------

Crews successfully cut oil pipe a mile below the sea and will attempt to cap it and pump crude oil to the surface in latest attempt to repair massive oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico, a U.S. Coast Guard official says.

President Obama will return to the Gulf Coast again Friday to inspect the damage and response efforts.

Yes. That's why let's concentrate our resources on that first before we divert resources to run/fight criminal investigations.

It will require some special underwater demo equipment. There are a handful recovery companies and the naval underwater recovery crew could help if the President warrants it. Apparently, he didn’t. Why not?

I would first not be blaming BP. The oil belongs to BP and not the rig. Anyone doing this is in for a legal defamation suit [i am not talking about you in particular]. This includes the US Government. It would not be the first for the government being hauled into court based on this type of malicious jabbering. Even Arizona is now looking on taking the federal government into court over the borders issue and they have every right to do so. Simply put, the rig is not own by BP or the rig’s maintenance/inspection is kept up. It is part of the lease in removing seabed oil for BP. It is already stated in the beginning when a news service did its homework, the rig is leased by a well known company and crew, currently operating this seaborne oil rig for BP. It is also government responsibility, who 'supposedly', inspected these rigs for safety and ensuring maintenance records are accounted for. Hmm…

Let's look closer at these culprits first. However, BP, being the one with real cash, doing what it can in not loosing revenue and saving the environment.

Edited by Hemidakota

--------------------

News Alert: Drilling ban extended to shallow water rigs

01:43 PM EDT Thursday, June 3, 2010

--------------------

The Minerals Management Service has stopped issuing permits for new oil and gas drilling in the Gulf of Mexico regardless of water depth, effectively extending President Obama's previously announced suspension of permits for deepwater drilling into the shallow waters.

I've been following the video feeds and reading the reports that come out of the gulf.... i'm at a loss for words. The environmental impacts are already enormous, but when you stop and consider that MOST of the oil is still out in the water floating around, the future impact is most likely even more severe....

I'm really sad :(

Why hasn't Obama sent the navy in?

What exactly is the Navy supposed to do? I ask this in sincerity, I'm not trying to be snarky. National guardsmen have been doing some stuff on the coasts with barriers supposed to trap oil and the like but I don't see how stationing the USS Enterprise in the middle of the oil spill is going to help anything, and while the Navy has some incredibly skilled people I'm not sure they bring expertise to this particular situation. The people who know about these kinda of situations work for oil companies not the US Navy.

Edited by Dravin

What exactly is the Navy supposed to do? I ask this in sincerity, I'm not trying to be snarky. National guardsmen have been doing some stuff on the coasts with barriers supposed to trap oil and the like but I don't see how stationing the USS Enterprise in the middle of the oil spill is going to help anything, and while the Navy has some incredibly skilled people I'm not sure they bring expertise to this particular situation. The people who know about these kinda of situations work for oil companies not the US Navy.

Yup; I don't think the Navy even has subs that can go that deep. Not since Woods Hole retired Alvin back in the mid-nineties.

Now, if the Russkies offered the Mir subs and the Navy rejected them--I just can't fathom (pardon the pun) that one.

Sorry, that was such a bad pun I had to laugh. :)

Seriously though, what could a submarine do even if it could dive that deep? Shoot a torpedo at it? Slice it up with its props? Land on top of it? Seems like the little robotic arms and such the ROVs have are much more useful.

We need the Nautilus.... Google claims that 20,000 leagues is 364,566,929 feet.... since it only needs to go down 4500 or so feet, I think we're set!

Seriously though, what could a submarine do even if it could dive that deep? Shoot a torpedo at it? Slice it up with its props? Land on top of it? Seems like the little robotic arms and such the ROVs have are much more useful.

Smaller subs like the Russian Mirs will have manipulator arms that are pretty useful and can exert a lot more force than an ROV could.

Frankly, I'm surprised that BP has been able to do as much as they've done with ROVs.

Frankly, I'm surprised that BP has been able to do as much as they've done with ROVs.

I'm with you on that one- watching them work on the video feeds is nothing short of amazing. Any idea if the cameras are stereoscopic, or do the operators need to always guess distances?

Smaller subs like the Russian Mirs will have manipulator arms

Brings a new meaning to the term 'arms race'

Ya got us, TrulyKiwi. We Yanks knew this was going to happen. In fact, we orchestrated the whole thing.

But don't go looking for a reason--we just like to mess with y'all's heads. ;)

Huh??? I don't think it has anything to do with you Just a Gay, or Americans but have a look for yourself, why'd they do that?

Huh??? I don't think it has anything to do with you Just a Gay, or Americans but have a look for yourself, why'd they do that?

Why would a professional investment firm sell stock when it was at a 90-day high? Not too difficult to guess.

But if you need another theory: maybe they believed--as this market analyst did the day before the blast--that a government crackdown on financial firms trading oil futures could cause the bottom to fall out of oil prices.