So what do u all think of this mess, where in cause of BP Oil

Roseslipper

It seems it will hold but this is what I am talking about this individual - I think he needs to go back and be a Senator vice being a president for more experience in running a country.

--------------------

News Alert: Obama orders halt to operations at all 33 deep-water rigs in the Gulf

01:19 PM EDT Thursday, May 27, 2010

--------------------

Obama announces a halt to drilling operations at all 33 deep-water rigs in the Gulf of Mexico for 6 months or until a presidential commission completes its work. Some of the rigs are already drilling and will have to stop. Others were preparing to drill and will have to stop those preparations until the commission finishes.

For more information, visit washingtonpost.com:

washingtonpost.com - nation, world, technology and Washington area news and headlines

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems it will hold but this is what I am talking about this individual - I think he needs to go back and be a Senator vice being a president for more experience in running a country.

--------------------

News Alert: Obama orders halt to operations at all 33 deep-water rigs in the Gulf

01:19 PM EDT Thursday, May 27, 2010

--------------------

Hemi, what about spilling hundreds of millions of gallon of oil in some other body of water not adjacent to the United States, for a change?

Still leaking into the ocean. BP has acted like they know nothing about stopping a leak this deep under the ocean.

What's funny is that when summer comes gas prices always go up. Oil companies make record after record profits. Now they can jack the gas prices up and blame the oil leak. Different reason, same result - Americans getting hit unfairly by high prices.

Talk about an arrogant company.

Hemi, what about spilling hundreds of millions of gallon of oil in some other body of water not adjacent to the United States, for a change?

We simply don't receive allot of the worlds news thanks to our wonderful controlled media.

But one thing is assure here, oil is a renewal energy source. :D

Still leaking into the ocean. BP has acted like they know nothing about stopping a leak this deep under the ocean.

What's funny is that when summer comes gas prices always go up. Oil companies make record after record profits. Now they can jack the gas prices up and blame the oil leak. Different reason, same result - Americans getting hit unfairly by high prices.

Talk about an arrogant company.

It is not just one oil corporation but day traders, future speculators that created this pure greed. The day of reckoning is coming though.

If we looked at our current gasoline pricing, it is still 60-percent over valued.

You should try living in the UK. Right now, 1 US gallon of gas costs $6.58 after you do all the relevant conversions. I can hardly wait for BP to pass the fine on to the consumers in more expensive fuel, and everyone else raise prices as well.. Gotta love price fixing oil companies.

they ought to make a suction system placed over the opening, and pump up both water and oil into tanks.. and invite anyone who wants it to bring tankers. And t hen it can either be hauled off and seperated or have systems onboard that can seperate it.

Do you have any actual evidence of price-fixing, beyond the laws of supply and demand in action?

There is no supply and demand model being used in this market. That was quite clear back in 03 and 04. If it was, I would paying no more than 1.70 dollar per gallon; using California overpricing act.

Now, take a good look at the EIA site and pull-up the internal and eternal oil output database since the 70s. Noticed anything in that database that looks like lesser demand in the last five years and it keeping it artificially higher? Pump less, import less, and refine less is the key for today’s market. No different from our ill-famous DeBeers Diamond pricing strategy.

Thanks to the overall lack of demand, we have curbed almost 3-million barrels of oil per day now. However, it is not shown at the pump or a price per barrel. Future trading is the culprit here and the government doesn’t want to stop this nonsense. But I welcome in returning to the ‘Supply and Demand’ model. :)

Example of future trading; ‘…when I SPIT, the market will sale more energy stocks. ‘

That's unfair, JAG. While we know you work for the oil companies and you probably get sick of these accusations, you know that Hemi doesn't have any actual evidence. ;) If he had proof, he would either be lying in a ditch somewhere or people would be burning oil execs alive.

All he has is what everyone has - Anecdotal evidence. Anecdotal evidence that makes everyone suspect price fixing.

Do you have any actual evidence of price-fixing, beyond the laws of supply and demand in action?

That's unfair, JAG. While we know you work for the oil companies and you probably get sick of these accusations, you know that Hemi doesn't have any actual evidence. ;) If he had proof, he would either be lying in a ditch somewhere or people would be burning oil execs alive.

All he has is what everyone has - Anecdotal evidence. Anecdotal evidence that makes everyone suspect price fixing.

My comments weren't addressed to Hemidakota. I do agree with him that the futures market probably drives a good bit of the upward pressure on oil prices. But the fundamental assumption behind rising oil futures prices is that our oil resources are dwindling--a perception stoked more by environmentalists and "green technology" companies than it is by the oil companies themselves.

The domestic oil production chart is interesting (I can't find similar foreign data on the EIA's website at the moment), but lowered production may just as easily be a factor of either 1) onerous restrictions on new US oil-producing enterprises, or 2) the fact that, like many other goods, oil can be produced more cheaply outside of the country than inside of the country due to labor or other conditions.

I haven't seen that argument, at least not lately.

One other thing worth pointing out is that Big Oil's marginal profit is actually pretty modest. Their revenue comes from selling staggering quantities of their product, not because the product itself is very profitable per unit sold.

A barrel of oil, IIRC, is 55 gallons. If the oil industry, on average, cleared only one dollar in profit per barrel (current market price: about $70, or 1.4% profit), you're still looking at $6.6 billion in profit for the oil companies annually.

So what do u thinkof this mess where in cause of BP Oil?? I think its a crying shame, and criminal I hope they go to jail. Geesh I didnt think I had all this meanness in me, but look what happened all for geed $. 11 people lost their lives, many people will be out of work, all the fish etc...and beaches will be destroyed for yrs. Plus people trying to clean it up will get sick. And who knows how many other people will get sick because of this???? I beleive many will. And will it effect our drinking and bathing water?? humm

I will compare this to the shuttle launch disaster a few years back – I believe there are similarities. Granted I am an engineer but I have been involved in many engineering disasters over many years and this is almost always (with very few exceptions) what happens.

1. An engineer creates the specifications for the task.

2. The specifications are reviewed by management and given a budget analysis.

3. The specifications are determined to be “over budget” and sent back to engineering.

4. Steps 1, 2 and 3 are repeated until budget constraints are met.

5. The Cognoscente Engineer (engineer in charge) objects and warns of problems.

6. Management overrides the cognoscente engineer and takes a risk planning on a big bonus.

7. Sometimes the Cognoscente Engineer quits or is replaced by a more cooperative engineer.

8. At some point something very bad and very expensive happens.

9. Management initiates a “cover your butt” process and someone or something to blame is considered.

10. Several “fixes” are tried in order of lowest cost to most expensive.

11. When fixes fail the original cognoscente or capable engineer is notified for a solution.

12. Not wanting the labiality (blame) they decline – reminding management it was their error that is responsible.

13. Management begins searching for some engineer that can both cover up management involvement and put an end to the pr problems. Also some hope of solving the problem.

14. An engineer finely initiates a solution.

15. Management finds an escape goat.

16. Somebody with little or no actual involvement get their life and carrier ruined.

17. The world is happy and expresses contempt for the “sacrificial lamb”. Management does their best to make sure that the sacrificial lamb is the original cognoscente engineer as well as any management that ever supported that engineer.

18. In the follow up the management collects bonuses for solving the problem and reaffirms how great they are to everybody.

In this case management is both the management of BP and USA government.

The Traveler

News Alert: Federal government launches criminal probe of gulf oil spill

04:04 PM EDT Tuesday, June 1, 2010

--------------------

The federal government has launched a criminal probe into the massive oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico, U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder said Tuesday.

Federal agencies, including the FBI, are participating in the probe, Holder told reporters after meeting with state and federal prosecutors in New Orleans. "If we find evidence of illegal behavior, we will be forceful in our response," he said.

washingtonpost.com - nation, world, technology and Washington area news and headlines

--------------------

News Alert: Effort to contain Gulf oil stalls with stuck saw

10:04 AM EDT Wednesday, June 2, 2010

--------------------

SCHRIEVER, La. — Coast Guard Adm. Thad Allen is saying that a saw has become stuck as it was cutting through a pipe on a busted well, stalling the latest attempt to contain the Gulf oil gusher.

Allen said Wednesday the goal is to free the saw and finish the cut later in the day. This is the second major cut in the effort to contain — not plug — the nation's worst spill.

Allen says the first cut with giant shears was successful overnight.

The best chance at plugging the leak involves a relief well that is at least two months from completion.

Story will be updated with new developments.

News Alert: Federal government launches criminal probe of gulf oil spill

04:04 PM EDT Tuesday, June 1, 2010

--------------------

The federal government has launched a criminal probe into the massive oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico, U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder said Tuesday.

Federal agencies, including the FBI, are participating in the probe, Holder told reporters after meeting with state and federal prosecutors in New Orleans. "If we find evidence of illegal behavior, we will be forceful in our response," he said.

Wonderful - we now know that the sacrificial lamb will be ruined for sure and that most efforts will be diverted from solution to make sure your butt is covered by everyone inside BP and especially inside the government to avoid lpersonal egal hassles.

The Traveler

Adding a thought: while attending BYU, me and some friends stole a wagon wheel used as a trophy between BYU and Utah State. We had planned to bring the wheel to the game - we stole the wheel to demonstrate how inept Utah State's at protecting the wheel really were. Well the administrations of the schools were unhappy and threatened to have the FBI investigate and make sure the thieves served time behind bars. What this convinced us is that we were going to have to destroy the wheel and make sure no one ever found out who we were.

Since the wheel did not show up at the game (as we had planned) the administration of the schools then pleaded that the wheel be returned and if it was returned soon no questions would be asked. Within a couple of hours the wheel showed up inside the Wilkinson Center.

Edited by Traveler
add a thought