Charcter and personality of Satan

Javajot

I am trying to find a reference that was made as to the personality of Satan. I can't remember exactly where I heard it - whether it was in Sunday school or during conference - but I remember the general feel of the quote and some of the points.

Here is what I can remember:

He is an expert at his craft and is always improving. He never sleeps, never rests and is always learning new and better ways to tempt and destroy. He knows your weaknesses and attacks you there.

Thats all I can remember. The Thing that stands out the most to me in this particular quote was how he never rests or sleeps.

Does anyone know who said this and where I can find the quote? I have tried searching everywhere. Google - no results. LDS.org - nothing. On these forums - nothing. Any help would be appreciated!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am trying to find a reference that was made as to the personality of Satan. I can't remember exactly where I heard it - whether it was in Sunday school or during conference - but I remember the general feel of the quote and some of the points.

He is an expert at his craft and is always improving. He never sleeps, never rests and is always learning new and better ways to tempt and destroy. He knows your weaknesses and attacks you there.

Thats all I can remember. The Thing that stands out the most to me in this particular quote was how he never rests or sleeps.

Does anyone know who said this and where I can find the quote? I have tried searching everywhere. Google - no results. LDS.org - nothing. On these forums - nothing. Any help would be appreciated!

Try LDS.org again going to the search gospel library - use "Satan sleep"

The Traveler

Guest mormonmusic

Try searching the text of Paradise Lost by John Milton. Not Church doctrine, but I remember studying it in university and it had a lot about the character of Satan in it -- perhaps someone quoted from that.

^^^^

No luck

from my search:

6.Autn:reference - Magazine_ffe1c1de5cfeb010VgnVCM1000004d82620a____

Earthquake Warning Eduardo Ayala

Satan knows this, and he has a plan to degrade human beings and destroy the souls of men. See D&C 10:23, 25.) You already know that Satan doesn’t sleep, that he is continually seeking to shake up our lives with the equivalent of spiritual earthquakes (see 1 Pet. 5:8).

Gospel Library > Magazines > New Era > July 1993

37.Autn:reference - Magazine_70d31c90483eb010VgnVCM1000004d82620a____

Finding Peace Thomas S. Monson

If ye break faith with us who die We shall not sleep, though poppies grow In Flanders fields. 2 Are we doomed to repeat the mistakes of the past? In our ears there may sound the sophistry of Satan as he whispers, “You cannot save the world; your small efforts are meaningless.

Gospel Library > Magazines > Liahona > March 2004

Millet often use that phrase...did you by chance watch BYU channel (discussion on the Book of Mormon series)?

What a painful reality it is that Satan never sleeps! At this period of Book of Mormon history righteousness is allowed to have a foothold for only five years before wickedness is given an organized thrust through the bands of Gadianton; the hordes of hell are unleashed again upon the Nephites and Lamanites. The chief judge and his son are murdered (verses 15, 19) by the secret combinations; the government is taken over by the wicked; both Nephites and Lamanites join hands with demons in human form to spread death and desolation; and the secret oaths and covenants, and signs of old, those silent and subtle means of communication had by the ungodly from the days of the first Master Mahan (see Moses 5:31), are revealed and spread among the people. Doctrinal Commentary on the Book of Mormon, vol. 3, by Robert L. Millet, Joseph Fielding McConkie

Elder Harold B. Lee: "Every soul today that is not hearkening unto the . . . inspired counsel that comes from the [Lord's] leaders is being deceived by the power of Satan, and they are gradually coming to be in his power. . . . Satan never goes on vacation. He never sleeps" (Children's Friend, June 1949, 254-55).

James E. Faust said: "It is not good practice to become intrigued by Satan and his mysteries. No good can come from getting close to evil. Like playing with fire, it is too easy to get burned: “The knowledge of sin tempteth to its commission.”2 The only safe course is to keep well distanced from him and any of his wicked activities or nefarious practices. The mischief of devil worship, sorcery, witchcraft, voodooism, casting spells, black magic, and all other forms of demonism should always be avoided. "

All we need to know that he is, now, continuously evil. I have no desire to learn any more about his personality or abilities. I am not trying to discourage you from understanding who he is, just be careful. The desire to know more about evil is in some way an invitation to let that mode of thinking enter one's thoughts. ... like playing with fire.

He is an expert at his craft and is always improving. He never sleeps, never rests and is always learning new and better ways to tempt and destroy.

I don't know about about the quote but I'd be interested in knowing even a couple of ways that that crafty ole devil tempts.

Can anyone mention a few?

:)

... and seriously, I wonder if anyone can tell me how Satan tempts.

Person after person says that he does but I'd like to know HOW...

He knows what are Spirit was like, which is our Basic personality. Hes also seen us grow up and hes watched us develop into who we are now so he pretty much knows everythiing about us. So he usesdifferent ways to tempt us, He could go the more direct approach and Directly whisper to us urging us to do something wrong, He tricks us saying into believing that something wrong is good. He could even convince us to do something Good, then make us not like it. Really the possibilites are endless because the knowledge that he has about us is endless. I would think that the way he tempts us is different for everyone just like the Holy Ghost talking to someone is different. If its any consulation though he cant know our thoughts and our intentions unless we say it outloud. Thats why I pray in silent during personal prayers

:)

... and seriously, I wonder if anyone can tell me how Satan tempts.

Person after person says that he does but I'd like to know HOW...

I take it you are talking about mechanisms not tactics? I must confess I don't know, much like I don't know the mechanism by which the Holy Ghost influences us. Interestingly there are moments where I've thought at the time or even shortly after, "That's the spirit.", like when I received a confirmation of the truthfulness of the Book of Mormon, but I haven't similarly had moments where I've had the same level of surety concerning, "That was Satan tempting me."

Snow, my understanding is your position is that we don't need Satan to tempt us to get ourselves in trouble, a position I agree with. Does your position extend to the point of feeling Satan doesn't tempt us?

Edited by Dravin

He knows what are Spirit was like, which is our Basic personality. Hes also seen us grow up and hes watched us develop into who we are now so he pretty much knows everythiing about us. So he usesdifferent ways to tempt us, He could go the more direct approach and Directly whisper to us urging us to do something wrong, He tricks us saying into believing that something wrong is good. He could even convince us to do something Good, then make us not like it. Really the possibilites are endless because the knowledge that he has about us is endless. I would think that the way he tempts us is different for everyone just like the Holy Ghost talking to someone is different. If its any consulation though he cant know our thoughts and our intentions unless we say it outloud. Thats why I pray in silent during personal prayers

It is an illusion to think that Satan has been keeping track of us since our beginnings. I also don't think he is privy to the inner workings of our spirits. That would in some way give more, or at least just as much, power to Satan as to God. And Satan cares not a bit about anyone.

He knows what are Spirit was like, which is our Basic personality. Hes also seen us grow up and hes watched us develop into who we are now so he pretty much knows everythiing about us.

1. There's 6.7 billion people on earth. How did the devil get time to watch me for even one second, let alone watch me enough to know everything about me?

2. Satan, not having a physical body, has no eyes and no ears; regardless of whether he had the time, how did he see me?

So he usesdifferent ways to tempt us, He could go the more direct approach and Directly whisper to us urging us to do something wrong,

Not having any vocal cords, how does he whisper?

He tricks us saying into believing that something wrong is good.

I've never met, seen, heard or smelled the devil. How could he trick me?

He could even convince us to do something Good, then make us not like it. Really the possibilites are endless because the knowledge that he has about us is endless. I would think that the way he tempts us is different for everyone just like the Holy Ghost talking to someone is different. If its any consulation though he cant know our thoughts and our intentions unless we say it outloud. Thats why I pray in silent during personal prayers

HOW could he convince me? I don't even listen to my mother. Why would I pay attention to someone I can't see or hear?

I take it you are talking about mechanisms not tactics? I must confess I don't know, much like I don't know the mechanism by which the Holy Ghost influences us. Interestingly there are moments where I've thought at the time or even shortly after, "That's the spirit.", like when I received a confirmation of the truthfulness of the Book of Mormon, but I haven't similarly had moments where I've had the same level of surety concerning, "That was Satan tempting me."

That's right. I'll accept, as a matter of faith, a belief in an omnipotent God. But to believe in a magical, invisible creature who wants me to smoke cigarettes - that's another matter.

Snow, my understanding is your position is that we don't need Satan to tempt us to get ourselves in trouble, a position I agree with. Does your position extend to the point of feeling Satan doesn't tempt us?

Who knows if he tempts us but I personally find it to be a totally unhelpful and unnecessary belief. I like to look at the SI Swimsuit edition, not because of a magical invisible demon, but because I like pretty girls. Not believing in Ole Scratch doesn't make me any less saved.

1. There's 6.7 billion people on earth. How did the devil get time to watch me for even one second, let alone watch me enough to know everything about me?

2. Satan, not having a physical body, has no eyes and no ears; regardless of whether he had the time, how did he see me?

Not having any vocal cords, how does he whisper?

I've never met, seen, heard or smelled the devil. How could he trick me?

HOW could he convince me? I don't even listen to my mother. Why would I pay attention to someone I can't see or hear?

Rather than being a sarcastic individual, why not share your knowledge of Satan as you know it?

Methinks your rotten personality on these threads is a defense mechanism for ignorance.

BTW...snow...For a cat who according to you can't do bupkis, how was he able to tempt Christ?

It is an illusion to think that Satan has been keeping track of us since our beginnings. I also don't think he is privy to the inner workings of our spirits. That would in some way give more, or at least just as much, power to Satan as to God. And Satan cares not a bit about anyone.

I take it from your post, you've not taken out your Endowments?

In the ceremony Lucifer is address and we learn much from it.

But to believe in a magical, invisible creature who wants me to smoke cigarettes - that's another matter.

Do you consider references to Satan/Lucifer in the scriptures to be allegorical? Representing base human nature or what have you?

For the record I take it on faith that Satan/Lucifer is an extent being who rebelled in the premortal life and tempts us [though to what extent I don't know] but I'm less critical of scriptures and other dogma than you. This isn't a rebuttal (i. e. Well, yeah! I believe this!) but just to be perfectly clear of where I am coming from.

Who knows if he tempts us but I personally find it to be a totally unhelpful and unnecessary belief. I like to look at the SI Swimsuit edition, not because of a magical invisible demon, but because I like pretty girls. Not believing in Ole Scratch doesn't make me any less saved.

The Articles of Faith mention faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, nothing about faith in Lucifer. *shrug* And I agree that over attribution of temptation to Lucifer isn't particularly helpful. So I'm not about to impugn your faithfulness as a LDS or your exultation over the matter. Can't speak for others though considering some of the folks on the board it won't be long before somebody throws 2 Nephi 28:22 at you and calls you names. You're a big boy though, I'm sure you'll be able to handle it. :D

Edited by Dravin