Best LDS dating sites?

bl8tant

I'm currently attending a family ward, because that's where my sons go and I have a calling in YM. I haven't started investigating our local single adult wards, though I'm sure they're fine and all.

I'm curious about which LDS-themed dating sites y'all have used and what you thought, pro and con, about them. Which ones are worth the cost and hassle, and which ones aren't?

If you sign up with eHarmony, if you wait a little bit between joining the site and paying so that you can use all the services, they will give you a discount incentive, 3 months for the price of one. $60 to use it for one month compared to $20 a month for 3 months. The offer cycles and repeats every so often.

Guest mirancs8

I've heard some really good things about eHarmony. One of the single Bro. in my ward recently started using it and he has nothing but good things to say about it. You can state your denomination preference as well so that helps. I haven't heard about any LDS specific ones but I don't think you could go wrong with eHarmony. It's all the rage with the singles I know in my ward... which are few :lol:

Good luck!

ldsplanet i'm a member of, and eharmony...whatever you do...i HIGHLY reccomend full background checks

I'm uncertain on this.

A background check, I guess would be okay. They don't want to date someone who's a criminal or the like.

But if I found out that someone launched an investigation in to me? I'd politely but firmly end the relationship. That sort of paranoia has no place. Lots of people have dated before the age of background checks and that worked out pretty well.

i suggest going to some conferences rather than putting all your eggs in the online basket.

I don't know your age, but there will be a Midsingles (age 28-45) conference in Indianapolis in October. And Kirtland Ohio will host a singles (age 30-death) conference over Labor Day weekend.

There are also lots of conferences in the west. If you are on Facebook, I can get you hooked up with some pages that announces them. They are pretty good (although I admit some of them are better for a spiritual uplift rather than actually meeting someone).

I don't know your age, but there will be a Midsingles (age 28-45) conference in Indianapolis in October. And Kirtland Ohio will host a singles (age 30-death) conference over Labor Day weekend.

There are also lots of conferences in the west. If you are on Facebook, I can get you hooked up with some pages that announces them. They are pretty good (although I admit some of them are better for a spiritual uplift rather than actually meeting someone).

Thanks! I'm on Facebook, so I might yet take you up on that because I'm out West.

I'm by no means ready to start dating again; even if I were I have another few months before my divorce becomes final. However, when I do start, I will probably mix both online and offline efforts, like I do with almost everything else except for shopping.

Thanks! I'm on Facebook, so I might yet take you up on that because I'm out West.

I'm by no means ready to start dating again; even if I were I have another few months before my divorce becomes final. However, when I do start, I will probably mix both online and offline efforts, like I do with almost everything else except for shopping.

Just a suggestion, go ahead and join these FB groups. Although you do need to wait until your divorce is final to attend, you might find a fireside or conference that will interest you simply for the speaker or theme. Just because you mingle with single women doesn't mean you have to ask any of them on dates. When you are ready to actually date, then you can view the events a little differently.

$60 to use it for one month compared to $20 a month for 3 months

That doesn't sound like a good deal if I have to pay $60 for one month.

Edited by pam

Just a suggestion, go ahead and join these FB groups. Although you do need to wait until your divorce is final to attend, you might find a fireside or conference that will interest you simply for the speaker or theme. Just because you mingle with single women doesn't mean you have to ask any of them on dates. When you are ready to actually date, then you can view the events a little differently.

My STBX and I haven't told everyone about our pending divorce, so I'm not ready to out myself on Facebook just yet-- but you'll be hearing from me once we do.

My STBX and I haven't told everyone about our pending divorce, so I'm not ready to out myself on Facebook just yet-- but you'll be hearing from me once we do.

Ahh, yeah, probably not the best way for people to find out--through your FB groups.

yeah, after the last silly goose i met on ldsplanet...running background checks now....she was 100% full of poop

Considering that you are country fed, you have the boots to handle that 100% full of poop. Remember, I know where you're from, boy-o! :P

Ahh, yeah, probably not the best way for people to find out--through your FB groups.

Facebook is a tough place because it lumps everyone together: my coworkers (some are friends, some are just... coworkers), acquaintances and friends from church, family members, and so on all fall into one big pile. I've been telling individual people when I think it's appropriate, so many of my FB friends already know, but I expect it'll be a shock to the rest!

Facebook is a tough place because it lumps everyone together: my coworkers (some are friends, some are just... coworkers), acquaintances and friends from church, family members, and so on all fall into one big pile. I've been telling individual people when I think it's appropriate, so many of my FB friends already know, but I expect it'll be a shock to the rest!

You could always set up separate accounts. Mr. Bl8tant Coworker. Mr. Bl8tant Church. Mr. Bl8tant Family. Of course, then you would be spending all day on your FB accounts just trying to update them and remember who you told what to whom. :D

i think there is a filter now, when you make a post you can pick and choose who will and won't see it in their updates. if ppl respond just to that then i think it stays private. but once you start the precedence of posting there others may not realize they are special and out ya.

You can choose to suppress some kinds of updates, and you can set things so only your friends can see your updates (as opposed to the default "friends of friends" settings).

TBH the main reason I haven't just outed myself is out of courtesy to my STBX. She asked for the divorce, she acknowledges that it's because of her issues, and she's afraid of how people will treat her once word gets out. I've tried to respect her wishes but some days that's easier than others :)

• 1 month later...

I tried LDS planet and had a bad experience three times. One turned out to be a nigerian scam artist. (cute photos though), another was a non-mormon who pressured me a lot about getting into a relationship after talking to him twice and one guy actually got angry with me on the chat because I wouldn't just hand him my phone number after talking to him for ten minutes.

A man who says he's a therapist exchanged emails with me and we chatted through the chat program but he was so negative and toxic, when he gave me his number and asked me for mine, I said I'd think about it and then deleted my account.

I'd rather go to a singles ward somewhere and meet someone in person.

ETA: OH and one guy was demanding full body shots instead of my profile picture I had and directed me to his photos of him laying out on some rocks in a speedo showing off his muscles. I was really turned off by the lack of modesty and the pressure to show him a "body" shot. Like I said, I'll meet them in person, rather.

Guest mirancs8

I tried LDS planet and had a bad experience three times. One turned out to be a nigerian scam artist. (cute photos though), another was a non-mormon who pressured me a lot about getting into a relationship after talking to him twice and one guy actually got angry with me on the chat because I wouldn't just hand him my phone number after talking to him for ten minutes.

A man who says he's a therapist exchanged emails with me and we chatted through the chat program but he was so negative and toxic, when he gave me his number and asked me for mine, I said I'd think about it and then deleted my account.

I'd rather go to a singles ward somewhere and meet someone in person.

ETA: OH and one guy was demanding full body shots instead of my profile picture I had and directed me to his photos of him laying out on some rocks in a speedo showing off his muscles. I was really turned off by the lack of modesty and the pressure to show him a "body" shot. Like I said, I'll meet them in person, rather.

Ow my that all sounds so bad. One of the guys at my ward met his 2nd wife on LDS Planet. I asked him what made him go on a dating site he said because he is so shy it was really hard for him to meet women in person. It was nice to chat a while (email, phone and such) before actually deciding to go on a date. They are very sweet together... I think a perfect match. I've heard a number of people talk about eharmony being very good. I heard really bad things about match.com too. Lots of nigerian scamming on that one.

Yes those requests for full body shots when you see him laying there half buck naked... yeah ah no thank you. If I need to post a shot like that of yourself on your profile I wouldn't even waste my time. After being married for so many years those types of pictures don't do anything for me except confirm that it is masking a more obvious issue with that person who posted it...

Ow my that all sounds so bad. One of the guys at my ward met his 2nd wife on LDS Planet. I asked him what made him go on a dating site he said because he is so shy it was really hard for him to meet women in person. It was nice to chat a while (email, phone and such) before actually deciding to go on a date. They are very sweet together... I think a perfect match. I've heard a number of people talk about eharmony being very good. I heard really bad things about match.com too. Lots of nigerian scamming on that one.

Yes those requests for full body shots when you see him laying there half buck naked... yeah ah no thank you. If I need to post a shot like that of yourself on your profile I wouldn't even waste my time. After being married for so many years those types of pictures don't do anything for me except confirm that it is masking a more obvious issue with that person who posted it...

I actually didn't realize that it was a dating site when I first joined. I thought it was like for us to get to know people of all ages and both genders to make friends and maybe date. But it is strictly dating. I didn't even have it for a month before I left.

I agree, men and women who post questionable photos aren't looking for a righteous mate. Some of the women had very suggestive photos as well. It's just not what I want in my life.

• 1 month later...

First, I don't like the misnomer "Online Dating". What is that? How does one "date" online? I have never been able to figure that out. But, I have found various sites that facilitate meeting and getting to know someone initially, then if all is right, a real date can be planned.

Here are three I have tried out.

eHarmony Matches are delivered a few at a time on a daily basis.

Positives:

- It does allow for you to specify to deliver only LDS matches.

- It provides for easy initial communication. They call it Guided Communication.

- There are a lot of LDS on there (at least in Utah).

- The site provides the opportunity for a person to put a fair amount of information in their profile.

- Matches are sorted into categories - New, Communicating, Archived, and Closed to help manage the matches.

- A personality profile can be completed.

- A service called "Secure Call" is offered where you can speak on the phone without revealing your phone number.

Negatives:

- Recommend status is not a requisite piece of information. It is hard to discern at times how faithful of an LDS member's profile is being delivered.

- Guided Communication is a bit burdensome at times - if you jump right to email, you can't go back and finish the questions in Guided Communication.

- I am wholly unimpressed by the functioning of the website. The idea of matching and delivery of matches is nice, but the process of implementing it could use some serious improvement.

- Cost. It is quite spendy.

- The management of matches in the various categories is not very user friendly.

- No IM or chat capabilities.

Bottom line - there are a lot of quality people in eHarmony, and the theory seems solid for finding compatible individuals. If the website was more user friendly, I'd be more inclined to recommend it. It is the ideal site for those that are concerned about online privacy, or unsure how to start up communication. Be prepared to pay a lot though. You are paying for a unique matching process, and clearly not for website functionality.

LDSplanet.com Open list of all members on the site.

Positives:

- High number of LDS (at least in Utah).

- Reasonable search features to narrow down the list of available profiles.

- Users are prompted to specify their church attendance level and recommend status. Searches can filter for these parameters.

- Price is reasonable.

- You can limit the age ranges that can view your profile.

Negatives:

- Website has some strange quirks - every once in a while it will start sending emails to an individual that you are typing a message to, and deliver to them 5 incomplete messages.

- Emails via the system are limited in length, and if you type up a message longer than the undefined limit, the system will simply truncate your message after you send it.

- The IM function is very annoying as it forces itself on top of all other windows.

- Aside from adding an individual to your "favorites" folder, there is no way to categorize or sort individuals. There is a "block" feature whereby you can hide profiles, however, I have found that the block feature is limited in the number of users it will hold. You cannot permanently hide individuals whose profile you have reviewed, and are not interested in.

- The site is frequently used by scammers.

- You cannot limit the geography or other parameters that can view your profile.

Bottom line - LDSplanet is a free-for-all that is a reasonable way to meet other LDS individuals. Being a free-for-all, there is a lot of "junk" on there. Nigerian scammers and other email harvesters are frequently encountered. I hear from ladies frequently that a surprising proportion of the men are not what they say they are - either they are not LDS, or they are anything but temple-worthy. As a guy, I haven't had the same issues.

LDSmingle.com Open list of all members on the site.

Positives:

- Good search features to narrow down the list of available profiles.

- Users are prompted to specify their church attendance level and recommend status. Searches can filter for these parameters.

- Profiles can contain a lot of information if completely filled out. Very informative, and not so restrictive as the other two sites.

- A free color code personality test is offered making it easy to get a feel for a person's personality type. It is based on the Hartman personality types.

- The site includes both "hide" and "block" features to allow you to hide profiles from your searches, or block an individual so they cannot see your profile.

- The site appears to be much more closely monitored by administrators and often scammers are removed before they can even be reported.

- Lowest price of the three sites.

- Profiles can quickly and easily be marked with yes, maybe, and no in regards to your own interest.

- Good email system that functions much like real email and keeps a threaded history.

- IM function works well.

Negatives:

- So far it does not appear to have the same user base as the other sites.

- I have not found settings yet that allow you to limit what ages or regions can see your profile.

- Some website functionality is a little quirky. Save searches may bring up a different saved search other than was clicked on.

Bottom line best value and best functionality in an open listing contact-making site.

• 3 weeks later...

I know you're looking for LDS dating sites but definitely stay away from Cupid.com, Match.com and I've heard not so good things about Zoosk.com. Having said that, sometimes you meet the most genuine and caring people in the most unexpected places.. I met my husband in a local Utah chat room and we've been happily married now for three years.