"Soul" = spirit and spirit + body = "soul"

I agree.

Good analogy, but what about when God says: "Let there be light"?

My belief is that this cannot be done without having been mortal. It is a marvelous example of One who knows everything, doing something in *faith*.

Yup. It's what made God worthy of worship, according to the ancients.

HiJolly

You talking about the spiritual creation as recorded in Abraham 4:3, Or the physical creation as recorded in Moses 2:3?

Because I think that Elohim is the guy doing the talking in Abraham, whereas Jehovah was the guy in Moses.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You talking about the spiritual creation as recorded in Abraham 4:3, Or the physical creation as recorded in Moses 2:3?

Because I think that Elohim is the guy doing the talking in Abraham, whereas Jehovah was the guy in Moses.

I was referring to Genesis.

HiJolly

Good analogy, but what about when God says: "Let there be light"?

My belief is that this cannot be done without having been mortal. It is a marvelous example of One who knows everything, doing something in *faith*.

So let me get this straight...

You believe that Jehovah had previously been mortal?

Or do you think that Elohim is the speaker in Genesis 1:3?

Or is Jehovah doing the devine investiture of authority thing?

Edited by mikbone

lol, good questions.

I don't know. I suspect that God is God because he choses to be God. He still has the ability to sin or err but he does not because he has been previously conditioned against so doing and he knows better.

I think that God is not messy because he has learned ultimate control of his surroundings.

I anticipate that when we recieve our resurrected celestialized bodies that there will be quite the break-in learning process.

I have thought about this view too, but then it seems like we would have been like robots before this life. That we had no 'personality' or agency before this life. As if we did what we did because that is who we were and we really had no control over it. Whereas with the body, because it is "messy" we can vary in our actions, we can be random and off the pre-programed response. Makes it sound like we are "Data" on Star-Trek, looking for "human qualities." ... I've always had the belief that who we really are is the composition of the spirit and that what we learn through the body becomes part of our spiritual nature, exampled by when people are in the spirit prison they will still have earthly cravings. I don't think we really need a body to have those cravings or to comprehend those cravings. I think the spirit is capable of understanding "human qualities" well enough, and especially after it has experienced it here.

Hugh B. Brown was stated in General Conference,

The Church teaches that when God created man in his own image, he did not divest himself of that image. He is still in human form and is possessed of sanctified and perfected human qualities, which we all admire. All through the holy scriptures, the Father and the Son are seen to be separate and distinct personages. We affirm the doctrine of the ancient scripture and of the prophets that asserts that man was created in the image of God and that God possessed such human qualities as consciousness, will, love, mercy, justice. In other words he is an exalted, perfected, and glorified Being. CR 1969 April, p.51

I personally believe it is all about witnessing our beloved FATHER, who’s demonstrated before us as a perfected human being. Why should we even bother otherwise, if that was not the sole purpose of coming here just for a body, in not being like GOD? How could anyone, not desire to take on a mortal body and through trials and fire of life, wait with anticipation for a glorified resurrected body like GOD?

Additional comments;

John R. Winder, Anthon H. Lund - God Himself is an exalted man, perfected, enthroned, and supreme. By His almighty power He organized the earth, and all that it contains, from spirit and element, which exist co-eternally with Himself. ("The Origin of Man," IE1909Nov:81) TLDP:221

James E. Talmage - [W]e know that both the Father and the Son are in form and stature perfect men; each of them possesses a tangible body, infinitely pure and perfect and attended by transcendent glory, nevertheless a body of flesh and bones. AF:38

President Brigham Young - Our Father in heaven is a personage of tabernacle, just as much as I am who stand before you to-day, and he has all the parts and passions of a perfect man, and his body is composed of flesh and bones, but not of blood. (To Sunday School children in Tabernacle, July 24, 1877, JD19:64) TLDP:221

Joseph Smith - The Father has a body of flesh and bones as tangible as man's; the Son also; but the Holy Ghost has not a body of flesh and bones, but is a personage of Spirit. Were it not so, the Holy Ghost could not dwell in us. . . . (Revelation received April 2, 1830) D&C 130:22

Stephen L. Richards - When Joseph came out of the grove, he had no need to argue for a theory-he knew the facts. God is in form like a man. He has a voice. He speaks. He is considerate and kind. His Son is a like but distinct person. He is obedient to the Father and the mediator between God and man. The presumption of God as a mere essence or principle of power and force in the universe was for all time exploded. The testimony is direct and positive and irrefutable. Many have not believed, but no one has ever had the knowledge to disprove it. (Where is Wisdom?, p. 31) TLDP:221-22

So let me get this straight...

You believe that Jehovah had previously been mortal?

Or do you think that Elohim is the speaker in Genesis 1:3?

Or is Jehovah doing the devine investiture of authority thing?

Hmmm.... So many questions...

(1)No; The Hebrew says "Elohim" for 'God'. (2)So, yes; and lastly, (3)maybe.

But really, I'm not sure the author was distinguishing between God Elohim and God Jehovah at that point. I do think the Father got the ball rolling, then Jehovah entered in and then eventually we had a part to play as well, but only after a bit.

HiJolly

Hugh B. Brown was stated in General Conference,

The Church teaches that when God created man in his own image, he did not divest himself of that image. He is still in human form and is possessed of sanctified and perfected human qualities, which we all admire. All through the holy scriptures, the Father and the Son are seen to be separate and distinct personages. We affirm the doctrine of the ancient scripture and of the prophets that asserts that man was created in the image of God and that God possessed such human qualities as consciousness, will, love, mercy, justice. In other words he is an exalted, perfected, and glorified Being. CR 1969 April, p.51

I personally believe it is all about witnessing our beloved FATHER, who’s demonstrated before us as a perfected human being. Why should we even bother otherwise, if that was not the sole purpose of coming here just for a body, in not being like GOD? How could anyone, not desire to take on a mortal body and through trials and fire of life, wait with anticipation for a glorified resurrected body like GOD?

Yes, like I said before we want a body because God has one and that is the extent of our understanding about it. I know not why save God told me it is good.

... this has got to be one of the biggest aspects of the gospel that we know the least about.

While reading one of Joseph Smith's sermons, 'Temple Stand', 13 August 1843, it states something here about our generation will have the knowledge of spirit ranking. Precusor to this, the writer was Willard Richards, in relation to the death of Judge Higby;

What consolation have we what power what reason to expect one thing more than another in eternity

Hebrews 12 ch 22 & 22 v You You have come to an innumerable company of angels to the general assembly and church of the first born And for have were they brought thus far—I answer you that they came to these personages to learn of the things of God and to hear revealed through them the order and glory of the kingdoms of God.

I would ask again Is there a word on record that was revealed by those angels and spirits if there is where is it to be found found

Again I enquire what is the order and organization of the Spirits of the just made perfect Let me tell you brethren That which is to be revealed which was kept his from the foundation of the world will be revealed to sucklings and babes. (Words of Joseph Smith by Joseph Smith, Andrew F. Ehat, Lyndon W. Cook, p.238)

In the notes from the book, it states to see D&C 128:18. See Matthew 11:25; 21:16; and, Luke 10:21 as compared with Matthew 13:35.

Is it our day, when this knowledge shall come forth to this generation of what was hidden?

Edited by Hemidakota