One true religion

I have somewhat of a problem with the "one true church of God" statement that many people use in their testimonies. I mean, I understand the sentiment, and the scriptural references. But I just wish it was more embraced the good works of other religions.

Please no, testimonies have a hard enough time staying focused as it is on Fast Sunday, last thing we need is a bunch of people getting up and going off on a tangent about the local Catholic Charity. :eek:

I have somewhat of a problem with the "one true church of God" statement that many people use in their testimonies.

I do too, I think its a stupid statement that people repeat over and over without thought - its habit rather than conviction in most case IMHO.

I have somewhat of a problem with the "one true church of God" statement that many people use in their testimonies. I mean, I understand the sentiment, and the scriptural references. But I just wish it was more embraced the good works of other religions.

It is true, there is but one theology [GOSPEL of CHRIST] that is actually is of the Savior. As Nephi stated, there are but two churches, one that belongs to GOD and the other that belongs to Babylon. What this means, only the few in the world belongs to Savior, the rest falls under Lucifer dominion [this means everyone that is not part of the fold]. There is no way around this vision in being so blunt. Either you are sealed by GOD and part of his fold, or you belong to the other.

But like you, I embrace anyone in this world, who desires the best for mankind, whether they believe in GOD, the church, Gospel of Christ, or not.

When we say the only true church we have to remember that it isn't the only church with truth, nor we don't all the truth. The phrase is more qualitative then quantitative. I think we can all get into the rut of the Jews of Christs time or the Christians of Joseph Smiths time and start closing down our minds saying that we HAVE the truth and no longer need to look for it; God has already spoken, why would he need to speak again.

I think that much of what we accept as true as a community is not even true, there are a lot of assumptions and misconceptions (not official doctrine) widely believed which are not true. When one says that this is the "Only True Church" I tend to interpretor it as "the canonized doctrines are pure" not that we have all truth, or that others don't have truth.

I tend to interpretor it as "the canonized doctrines are pure" not that we have all truth, or that others don't have truth.

Indeed, if one believes we are the only Church with any sort of truth whatsoever I think they are gravely misinformed.

When we say the only true church we have to remember that it isn't the only church with truth, nor we don't all the truth. The phrase is more qualitative then quantitative. I think we can all get into the rut of the Jews of Christs time or the Christians of Joseph Smiths time and start closing down our minds saying that we HAVE the truth and no longer need to look for it; God has already spoken, why would he need to speak again.

I think that much of what we accept as true as a community is not even true, there are a lot of assumptions and misconceptions (not official doctrine) widely believed which are not true. When one says that this is the "Only True Church" I tend to interpretor it as "the canonized doctrines are pure" not that we have all truth, or that others don't have truth.

Sorry, His church has the necessary truths for you to enter into GOD's throne and being part of the eternal family in being with the Savior for eternality. There is no other religious practice that can help you to receive this final calling of mortal life. GOD is not of GOD of confusion. Having all truths are not given to His own unless they reach PRERFECT DAY as in the case of the Savior taught in D&C 93.

As I stated before, I love truly love them who helps people towards GOD. They have forms of truth but they are not eternal saving truths.

Guest mormonmusic
Posted (edited) · Hidden
Hidden

But doesn't the D&C Section 1 say this?

" 30 And also those to whom these commandments were given, might have apower to lay the foundation of this bchurch, and to bring it forth out of obscurity and out of darkness, the only true and living church upon the face of the whole earth, with which I, the Lord, am well pleased, speaking unto the church collectively and not individually— "

Pretty clear this is the only true and living Church on the earth from our own scriptures, Also, the first Vision recounts that Heavenly Father said Joseph should not join any of the other Churches for they were "all wrong".

Personally, I like the interpretation that other Churches have a lot of good in them, but the statement they are "all wrong" sort of bothers me -- especially when it's so hard to figure out which Church is true. I can see why parts of the Christian world get upset at that statement.

One thing that helped me reconcile this is a comment someone made once -- that there are different Churches because people are at so many different levels of commitment.

I think the LDS Church requires a higher level of time and money commitment than just about any other Church I know of. However, if it was the only one out there, where do people with only fledgling commitment go for spiritual nourishment? Many should shrink away immediately from it.

There is a lot of choice where they can still feel the Spirit, learn to do good, get along with other people in Christlike ways, and learn the truths that are common to their Church and ours (and there are a lot, in spite of the LDS divergence from other churches). They can also learn about the divinity of Christ and his atonement. All these things are good things that prepared me to receive the gospel when I was first exposed to it as an adult. I grew up in one such Church -- and it was there I got the spiritual foundation that led me to eventually accept the gospel.

Edited by mormonmusic

There is much truth and goodness in many religions around the world. But to paraphrase Gordon B. Hinckley, we wish to add to the truth the others have already found. This IS Christ's Church, He heads this church. No other church has a living Prophet who receives direction and revelation for the world than this one. We don't say these things to brag, we say these things in gratitude for the blessings we receive in our lives as a result of these truths.

Personally, I'm happy to see people going to ANY church, even if it's not mine.

How does the 'one true chruch' mantra jive with early church history? I'm thinking specifically about the RLDS church when they were initially 'reorganized' by Joseph Smith III.

Personally, I like the interpretation that other Churches have a lot of good in them, but the statement they are "all wrong" sort of bothers me -- especially when it's so hard to figure out which Church is true.

Depends how you read they are all wrong.

1) They are completely and utterly wrong, they contain no truth or rightness.

2) They, meaning all of them (the LDS Church wasn't established yet), are wrong as they lack priesthood authority, misunderstand the Godhead and so on but this does not mean they utterly lack truth (which would be a weird position considering they are at least accept the Bible is the Word of God [though perhaps go to far with beliefs of inerrancy] and that Jesus is the Christ and other bits of doctrine we agree with and consider true)*.

Yes I understand why it's offensive, but I think we can agree that take #1 is much more offensive than take #2. Say what you will but we've got some rather unique doctrines and if we're right that means in some cases they are just flat out wrong (and of course visa versa) so declaring them all wrong doesn't bother me, at least in the #2 sense.

* For instance I've felt the spirit confirm truth at a Catholic Mass, it was pretty much limited to confirming that Jesus is the Christ but it was there.

Edit: Note I've tangented a fair bit, I'm mostly responding to feeling uncomfortable with the statement that they are all wrong.

Edited by Dravin

Guest mormonmusic

I too believe in the one true universal, or small-c catholic, church. Most of the creeds have that phrase. So, indeed it is old and repeated. :-)

What is a "small-c catholic church" prisonchaplain? I've never head the term. Of course I know what the capital C catholic Church is, but not the small-c version.

There is no salvation in believing any false doctrine, particularly a false or unwise view about the Godhead or any of its members. Eternal Life is reserved for those who know God and the one whom he sent to work out the infinite and eternal atonement. True and saving worship is found only among those who know the truth about God and the Godhead and who understand the true relationship men should have with each member of that Eternal Presidency.

It follows that the devil would rather spread false doctrine about God and the Godhead, and induce false feelings with reference to any one of them that almost any other thing he could do. The creeds of Christendom illustrate perfectly what Lucifer wants so- called Christian people to believe about deity, in order to be damned.

These creeds codify what Jeremiah calls the lies about God. They say he is unknown, uncreated, and incomprehensible. They say he is a spirit without body, parts or passions. They say he is everywhere and nowhere in particular present. That he fills the immensity of space and yet dwells in the hearts of men, and that he is an immaterial, incorporeal nothingness. They say he is one-God- in-three and three-Gods-in-one who neither hears, nor sees, nor speaks. Some even say he is dead, which he might as well be if their descriptions identify his being.

These concepts summarize the chief and greatest herracy of Christendom. Truly the most grievous and evil herracy ever imposed on an erring and wayward Christianity is their creedal concept about God and the Godhead! But none of this troubles us very much. God has revealed himself to us in this day even as he did to the prophets of old. We know thereby, that he a personal being in whose image man was made. We know that he has a body of flesh and bones as tangible as man's. That he is a resurrected, glorified, and perfected being; and that he lives in the family unit. We know that we are his spirit children; that he endowed us with the divine gift of agency; and that he ordained the laws whereby we might advance and progress and become like him. -Elder Bruce R McConkie

I am a bit cynical regarding other faiths. Even though there are some very decent people/Christians of other faiths and many are very well intentioned, their teachings often lead to a very skewed understanding of who we are in relation to God and how salvation comes in the grand design of things.

Edited by bytor2112

How does the 'one true chruch' mantra jive with early church history? I'm thinking specifically about the RLDS church when they were initially 'reorganized' by Joseph Smith III.

Well, doctrinally, the CoC and the LDS Church have evolved on very different paths; I don't think one who believes in absolute truth could really say that they're both right.

But I suppose it ultimately winds up with whether you believe both churches retain the proper priesthood authority.

The LDS position is that they don't--that Joseph Smith specifically gave the "keys to the kingdom" to the core group of men who led the bulk of the church to Utah following his death.

One time I was working an online math problem.. the correct answer was something along the lines of [ x= (-4, 1) ]. My answer was [ x= (-4,1) ] and it was graded incorrect. I forgot to tap space.

Sometimes what makes someone wrong isn't a game breaker. There are many people in the world who will receive the fullness of glory even though they lived and died outside of the LDS Church. There's enough of those people that it will make all of the lifetime LDS members that ever lived look like a dot on the map.

This is an interesting thread but I am a little confused here. Is there a concept of "Absolute Truth" in the LDS beliefs that you adhere to? I see conflicting answers here but it seems clear from the scriptures that there is a singular path to salvation. Did not Jesus say, "I am the way, the truth, and the light. No one comes to the Father but by me"? Saying that there are multiple ways of salvation is just heresy IMHO. I know it sounds exclusive and not politically correct but Jesus said it, not me :)

There is no salvation in believing any false doctrine, particularly a false or unwise view about the Godhead or any of its members. Eternal Life is reserved for those who know God and the one whom he sent to work out the infinite and eternal atonement.

They say the same about us. ;)

Regardless- It wasn't my intent to imply that salvation can be found at any church, but rather I would prefer people to attend a church rather than not attend ANY church. Personally, I think that the belief in something bigger than ourselves and accountability to someone other than our fellow man tends to make for better people... what happens in the afterlife is another matter.

This is an interesting thread but I am a little confused here. Is there a concept of "Absolute Truth" in the LDS beliefs that you adhere to? I see conflicting answers here but it seems clear from the scriptures that there is a singular path to salvation. Did not Jesus say, "I am the way, the truth, and the light. No one comes to the Father but by me"? Saying that there are multiple ways of salvation is just heresy IMHO. I know it sounds exclusive and not politically correct but Jesus said it, not me :)

Perhaps the road to exalation is narrow, but the paths to the other heavenly kingdoms is broad?

Perhaps the road to exalation is narrow, but the paths to the other heavenly kingdoms is broad?

"other heavenly kingdoms"??? What is this??? Dualism? From what I read in the scriptures, "broad is the way that leads to destruction." I'm seeking absolute truth here, not some PC crap (no offense, just trying to be honest).

"other heavenly kingdoms"??? What is this??? Dualism? From what I read in the scriptures, "broad is the way that leads to destruction." I'm seeking absolute truth here, not some PC crap (no offense, just trying to be honest).

I'm fairly sure PC is framing his response in regards to LDS Theology and thus is referring to the Terrestial and Telestial Kingdoms.

Choseph, my quip was directed more at the LDS here, who believe there are three heavenly kingdoms, with only the highest one offering exaltation and the continual presence of the Father. What I was after was a serious answer...is the way to the 2nd and 3rd heavenly kingdoms broad, with many lanes, while the way to the Celestial Kingdom is narrow, with covenantal requirements, etc.?

As for my own view, I believe there is one heavenly kingdom, though with many houses to be sure. The one narrow way to it is through Jesus. Further, Jesus did indicate that many who claim to follow him really do not.