Would Jesus feel welcome in our ward/church?

I want to believe he would. My congregation, in particular, is very diverse, loving and unpretentious. On the other hand, would some people outright offend him? Quite likely? Would many say things they might regret? Probably. Would I be one of those stumbling over my words and action? . . .

Simply put...no. There is a law set already after Joseph's vision [came later] how He comes and go among the people of this world. However, one can hear His voice but still not see Him in person until that day of the Second Coming. This will change for those who are called but not baptized yet; receiving the gospel ordinance.

Being blunt with this statement, this was stated to Joseph Smith and given as revelatory answer in the D&C. I didn't understand it until later in my conversion, why this is so for any person desire to be with Christ but could hear the voice but not see Him in person without the ordinance of the Gospel.

In the case of Joseph Smith, he was unique and restorational prophet. It was a requirement as those who are same caliber of past. All others, will not have this opportunity until after the fact - receiving the gospel ordinance and temple covenants.

He'd be welcomed, I think depending on if he felt welcome would depend on who he sat by. I know that Bishop would most likely say hello and welcome him. Of course I'm in a smallish singles ward so strangers are noticed more easily and fellowshipped. I think generally speaking the larger the ward the greater the chance he'd slip through the cracks. As far as if he'd be offended, it depends on his attitude towards certain things that I don't know 100%. For instance the Bishop and as a consequence the ward is fairly jovial (though we are appropriately solemn during the Sacrament) and the Bishop is fond of saying, "We are in the blessings business, he who has the most wins." I'm not sure if he'd be offended by that statement or not.

Now if he showed up during Fast Sunday then he might be offended at what some people call a testimony of him.

Hemi it was a hypothetical so the doctrine of it is kinda moot.

He'd be welcomed, I think depending on if he felt welcome would depend on who he say by. I know that Bishop would most likely say hallo and welcome him. Of course I'm in a smallish singles ward so strangers are noticed more easily and fellowshipped. I think generally speaking the larger the ward the greater the chance he'd slip through the cracks.

As far as if he'd be offended, it depends on his attitude towards certain things that I don't know 100%. For instance the Bishop and as a consequence the ward is fairly jovial (though we are appropriately solemn during the Sacrament) and the Bishop is fond of saying, "We are in the blessings business, he who has the most wins." I'm not sure if he'd be offended by that statement or not.

Now if he showed up during Fast Sunday then he might be offended at what some people call a testimony of him.

I was referring to non-members of the church.

Even, in the case of our own wards, you may hear His voice, still not seen Him for the masses. It would take for a person who is closer to the Spirit in having his/her eyes open to see even angels attending the members of the ward.

However, the Savior has appeared in many temples and one in particular was Kirtland, where it was written at least eight times He did appear in and around the temple grounds.

I don't think you can truly be offended by someone you perfectly love, because you understand who they are and why they do it. Jesus was not offended by Judas or the Thieves, I doubt he would be offended by anything we did. He may be sad.

Every church/ward has those who do come to feast on the words of Christ, but every church also has those that do. I think Christ would be pleased that both kinds were in the church.

I love the question its a good one to think while taking communion.

I'd change that other statement to: "He who GIVES the most... wins." A little more towards service than "hoarding" blessings.

But that's just me.

Well the other part of the time he's explaining how we get those blessings, a large part of which is service. I can understand where you are coming from hearing it in isolation though. There is a part of me that kinda cringes at the whole winning thing, it kinda suggests a competition in my mind (admittedly I could be weird) and this life is a cooperative effort but Christ is forgiving and understands the motivation. Which is why I'm not sure if he'd object or not.

Edited by Dravin

Matthew 25:

34 Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: 35 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:

36 Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.

37 Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?

38 When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?

39 Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?

40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

Guest mormonmusic

I don't think he'd care too much if He felt welcome. He'd be there to strengthen the feeble knees and try to help the people who were not yet Christlike.

I don't think he'd care too much if He felt welcome. He'd be there to strengthen the feeble knees and try to help the people who were not yet Christlike.

I think he's care inasmuch as his people should be making the least of these they're brotheren feel welcome and loved. I don't see him objecting because he's personally hurt that nobody gave him attention and petulant but objecting because his people should be doing more than they are.

Edited by Dravin

I want to believe he would. My congregation, in particular, is very diverse, loving and unpretentious. On the other hand, would some people outright offend him? Quite likely? Would many say things they might regret? Probably. Would I be one of those stumbling over my words and action? . . .

I first wonder - who if anyone would recognize him. And if he introduced himself without fanfair who would even believe it was him.

The Traveler

That's how I feel too.

I think that question is like asking if you feel welcome in your own home. That may be different than asking if you are welcomed when you arrive home. But why wouldn't He feel welcome in His own home. The only way He wouldn't is if it really isn't His home. So .... I hope that wasn't a tricky way of asking LDS whether they believe the ward house is Jesus' home or not. I think we would feel stronger about it if it were asked about our Temples of course but also we feel that our wards and our ward buildings are for Christ' gospel and therefore it is His, it belongs to Him and we belong to Him. We would hope that He would feel as welcome and 'at home' as any older brother would walking into his own home.

I don't think Jesus would walk into our ward cracking a whip and angry.

Would it be ironic if He showed up in a two piece suite and shaven? :)

I don't think it is possible to suppress glory. Changing his appearance only wouldn't mask his glory. This is why when people from our existence meet God they have to be transfigured or brought up to him in some way, God isn't brought down so we can see him. .... even though I believe you were just saying that for humor (clarifying that for the silent reader).

I was referring to non-members of the church.

That was probably my fault. I used the term "our" and then mentioned church / ward...so it could be taken either way. I meant for it to go both ways, and perhaps for each poster to answer for their own setting...but your answer also brings out good points. Sometimes unintended interpretations are the most interesting...;)

Even though you are spot on, I still want him to feel welcomed by me. There are times when that is not my focus though, and there lies the problem.

I first wonder - who if anyone would recognize him. And if he introduced himself without fanfair who would even believe it was him.

The Traveler

We would or wouldn't based upon his will. After the resurrection there were those who failed to recognize them until he opened their spiritual eyes. Then again, repeatedly in John's revelation of Jesus we read, "Let him who has ears to hear, hear ..."

I would imagine that if he were to agree to shower and wear 21st Century dress clothes, he could attend the ward with no untoward incidence. Even better if he were to get a crew cut, shave, be willing to be part of the choir and play men's basketball.

Guest mormonmusic

Even though you are spot on, I still want him to feel welcomed by me. There are times when that is not my focus though, and there lies the problem.

I agree that his selflessness doesn't exonerate us from being welcoming to him. It's for our own good to be that way -- an outward expression of our faith and respect for him and His atonement, and for who He is.

We would or wouldn't based upon his will. After the resurrection there were those who failed to recognize them until he opened their spiritual eyes. Then again, repeatedly in John's revelation of Jesus we read, "Let him who has ears to hear, hear ..."

The vast majority of scriptural experts and those that were looking for him did not recognize him in his day. He was popular among the "common" variety Jews for a while but then he was flat out rejected by almost all the Jewish clergy that felt he was too much a contradiction of the law "scriptures".

Even Jesus seems to indicate that 50% of those that are waiting for him in the last days are going to "miss", be unprepared and ready. I kind of like the attitude of the apostles at the last supper when told of his betrayal asked "L-rd is it I".

The Traveler

He'd be welcomed, I think depending on if he felt welcome would depend on who he sat by. I know that Bishop would most likely say hello and welcome him. Of course I'm in a smallish singles ward so strangers are noticed more easily and fellowshipped. I think generally speaking the larger the ward the greater the chance he'd slip through the cracks. As far as if he'd be offended, it depends on his attitude towards certain things that I don't know 100%. For instance the Bishop and as a consequence the ward is fairly jovial (though we are appropriately solemn during the Sacrament) and the Bishop is fond of saying, "We are in the blessings business, he who has the most wins." I'm not sure if he'd be offended by that statement or not.

Correct me if I'm wrong but was it Brigham Young who said, "He who is offended when it is not intended is a fool. He that is offended when it is intended is more foolish."? I don't think I hit that as verbatimly as I should but I think it kind of sounded like that.:D

My guess is if Brigham Young possessed that kind of philosophy when in fact he himself admitted, "If there is anyone in this room who has the shortest temper that would be me." I don't think Jesus Christ would be in any way offended. Then again maybe there is something else you have in mind about Jesus being offended. You may be right.^_^