Comics

Guest The_Doctor

What is your favorite comic publisher?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite comic publisher?

Easy answer: Superman and Batman do not fight such cool villains as Spiderman and the Fantastic Four. They aren't as "real" as Marvel characters. Superman should have remained dead when they killed him a decade ago.....

Finally, they don't have Stan Lee.

Nuff said.

To tell the truth I pretty much exclusively read webcomics. So most of the comics I follow are not published by one of the big names, however a few of them have been taken up by darkhorse. Most are published by little known publishers or self published. Most of the comics keep their archives online so I usually just follow them online and only purchase the books if I really like the comic and want a physical copy. Many of my favorite webcomics are not even published yet, so I just read them online.

I have followed different webcomics at different times. At minimum I generally follow about 4 to 5 webcomics at a time, but depending on the webcomics I have gotten up to about 20 at a time. I think my current list has something between 10 to 15 webcomics that I check at the very least weekly.

Guest The_Doctor

Easy answer: Superman and Batman do not fight such cool villains as Spiderman and the Fantastic Four. They aren't as "real" as Marvel characters. Superman should have remained dead when they killed him a decade ago.....

I agree that Superman is lame, but DC does have some other neat heroes. Marvel hasn't come up with anything like the Green Lantern for one. Not that I'm saying Marvel is bad, after all they did make the Toxic Avengers.

Tough call. The villains in regular Marvel aren't nearly as cool as the villains in DC, but the heroes in Marvel are much cooler.

"Scott Summers! Come with me! Trust me! I have your best interests in mind!"

"Great! What's your name?"

"MR. SINISTER!"

"Uh... Yeah. I don't think I'm going with you."

"CRAP! What gave me away?"

"I am the leader of a nation and I appeal to the UN to help defend me from mine aggressors!"

"And your name is..."

"Dr. Doom - Leader of Latveria!"

"Okay. You're the villain. Captain America? You can punch him in the face if you want."

"I'm a sovereign leader on my own soil! Don't you guys stop people like him from invading foreign soil?"

"Not against people whose names involve 'Doom' 'Apocalypse', permutations of death like 'Thanos' or anything that, in your name, tells us you're evil. It's in our charter."

At least DCs villains are called things like 'The Joker' and 'Lex Luthor'. You don't automatically know they're evil.

• 8 months later...

Answer the poll above and explain why. (I'm not sure if this is the best place to post a thread about comics, but you read them. :P )

I like old marvel and the old DC stuff... don't care about all the recent junk tho (it's mostly depressing.. altho a couple of recent spiderman incarnations are good.)

My current comic favorites are Battle angel alita, samurai X/kenshin, and Nausicaa of the valley of the wind. On this side of the ocean it's probably spiderman.

Why do I like these? they all revolve around repentance and personal growth. (except for maybe nausicaa, which revolves around a messianic character)

I don't pretty much care who the publishers are. I have my favorite characters from each one of them. Okay, maybe not each and every one... coz, you know, I don't read much comics.

My favorite of favorites comic series is Gambit - and he's a Marvel. So, if I have to pick just one, I'll have to go with Marvel.

Did you know they killed off the Human Torch, Johnny Storm, and that Spidey is going to join the Fantastic Three?

I heard that one was going to be killed. bad move, snuffing cpt america was bad enough... if you wrap a hero up why can't you wrap him up like Bilbo, or the Twins like in the dragonlance series? >.<

Come on.. its ok to break the Hero/Jesus cycle in story telling once in awhile.

I agree that Superman is lame, but DC does have some other neat heroes. Marvel hasn't come up with anything like the Green Lantern for one. Not that I'm saying Marvel is bad, after all they did make the Toxic Avengers.

Kyle Rynor GL or Hal Jordan as GL? I like Kyle when he was the lone GL, after Hal went bananas an killed of the other GLs

As a boy I was a huge fan of Rom Spaceknight, Spider-Man, The X-Men, The Mighty Thor, Alpha Flight and The Incredible Hulk. What I liked about comics was that they would often quote or reference classic novels which I would then purchase and read. Thanks to reading comics as a boy, my tastes evolved to the point that I began reading Bantam and Penguin classic novels.

• 3 months later...
Guest The_Doctor

Kyle Rynor GL or Hal Jordan as GL? I like Kyle when he was the lone GL, after Hal went bananas an killed of the other GLs

In general I'm a fan of any of the Green Lanterns from Earth, but that's mostly because they get the most character development.

Well, I went with Marvel because that is the series I've read the most from and it has my all-time favorite- Spiderman. I do like Batman from DC though and think that they do a better job of making their villains more "dark". Then, of course, I really enjoy some manga's too- Japanese comics- my favorite being the one for Full Metal Alchemist. And there are a couple online comics I enjoy- Lackadaisy and Looking for Group.

Well, I went with Marvel because that is the series I've read the most from and it has my all-time favorite- Spiderman. I do like Batman from DC though and think that they do a better job of making their villains more "dark". Then, of course, I really enjoy some manga's too- Japanese comics- my favorite being the one for Full Metal Alchemist. And there are a couple online comics I enjoy- Lackadaisy and Looking for Group.

:lol:

FOR PONY!!!

I"d really highly suggest nausicaa of the valley of the wind manga.

Also the first 4 volumes of megatokyo online comic are pretty fun.

Another LFG lover! Hurray! :D

Have you read the most recent pages? I'm trying to figure out what's going on with Richard... How is he not "dead"? Any ideas?

actually i havent been on the site for about 3 weeks now lol i'l have to go update myself

>.>

<.<

I'll get back on that lol

Richard's antics are funny, but I think the answers to what he is and were his powers come from are all going to be tied by to his town and that family grave he protected

Agreed. I've just become very curious as in the more recent pages, Cale accidently rips his mask off and says "He's not dead". We don't get to see what he saw... and then, in another frame, you see Richard sitting with the bunny applying a white cream to his peach skin, apparently to make himself appear undead. So... how does he manage to keep having his limbs torn off and holes shot through him and surviving if he is not undead? It definitely has to be connected to that town and the grave... afterall, he even said it was the source of his power... I just can't piece together any good theories for what exactly the connection would be if he isn't undead. I'm excited to see the rest of the plot play out, so I can find out. :)

I almost think he is a Dorian Grey type... With the family grave being the source of his immortality/power. At least it would explain what we have seen so far.

With the undead being an act so people don't look farther for a source of power