Is all Sin Equal ? A lier and murderer equal ?

lizzy12

yes, no ?

What scrips are reffering to this?

The real evil is not the sin but allowance of the sin and refusal to repent. And thus it is that we can be caught by evil in making allowance for lesser sins and carefully led by Satan into captivity and hell.

The Traveler

Having the ability to repent and the knowledge to do so, in refusing, is no different than being Cain. I agree with Traveler.

Even David sake, fortunate for him, David did not receive the fullness of the Priesthood. David did seek repentance to his last dying breath over the death of a captain and friend. The worst case for this brother, he only looses half of his glory.

No matter the circumstances, except for those who entered in the last covenant, namely - Sealing in having one’s Calling and Election made sure, commit any murder or apostatized against the Lord/Holy Ghost, there will be no forgiveness for this type, but others can inherit a measure of glory like David of old.

Few References:

These things are an abomination in the sight of the Lord; yea, most abominable above all sins save it be the shedding of innocent blood or denying the Holy Ghost. —Alma 39:5

[savior stated] ... Out of the heart of men, proceed evil thoughts, adulteries, fornications, murders, Thefts, covetousness, wickedness, deceit, lasciviousness, an evil eye, blasphemy, pride, foolishness: All these evil things come from within, and defile the man. (Mark 7:21-23.)

[Alma to his son] Know ye not, my son, that these things are an abomination in the sight of the Lord; yea, most abominable above all sins save it be the shedding of innocent blood or denying the Holy Ghost? (Al. 39:5.)

[savior rating adultery close to premeditated murder] "And again, I command thee that thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's wife; nor seek thy neighbor's life." (D&C 19:25.)

[Thoughts of adultery are on the same level as the actual event according to the Savior] "Ye have heard that it "as said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery: But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart." (Matt. 5:27-28.)

[Deceit or a liar] Since truthfulness is an attribute that is perfected in Deity, it follows that God is a Being who cannot lie. (D. & C. 62:6; Enos 6; 3 Ne. 27:18; Ether 3:12; Titus 1:2; Heb. 6:18.) Similarly, "the Spirit speaketh the truth and lieth not." (Jac. 4:13.) Lucifer, on the other hand, "was a liar from the beginning" (D. & C. 93:25), "is the father of all lies" (2 Ne. 2:18; 9:9; Ether 8:25; John 8:44), and entices men to become liars. (2 Ne. 28:8.) But men are commanded by the Lord not to lie (D. & C. 10:25-28; 42:21; 3 Ne. 26:32; Col. 3:9), for liars "shall be thrust down to hell" (2 Ne. 9:34), shall suffer the second death (D. & C. 63:17; Rev. 21:8), and receive a final inheritance in the telestial kingdom. (D. & C. 76:103.) In Nephite times liars were also punished by the civil law (Alma 1:17), and there are some civil and criminal proceedings today based on deceit and fraud. (D. & C. 42:8.) Elder Bruce R. McConkie

ENSIGN

Sin and Suffering

in Dallin H. Oaks, Ensign, 1992, July

LDS.org - Ensign Article - Sin and Suffering Skip to Content Skip ...Savior came to redeem men “ from their sins because of repentance” and upon the “conditions...

"Thy Sins Are Forgiven"

in Gerald E. Melchin, Ensign, 1995, Jan.

LDS.org - Ensign Article - “Thy Sins Are Forgiven” Skip to Content Skip to Navigation... our God in prayer, knowing that our sins are put far away from us, no ...

Sins and Mistakes

in Dallin H. Oaks, Ensign, 1996, Oct.

LDS.org - Ensign Article - Sins and Mistakes Skip to Content Skip...than “to sin.” I believe that in these scriptures sin and transgression mean the same thing....

Overcoming the Stench of Sin

in Spencer V. Jones, Ensign, 2003, May

... Ensign Article - Overcoming the Stench of Sin Skip to Content Skip to Navigation Search...Son, Jesus Christ, to atone for our sins (see Alma 22:14 )....

The Lord Offers Everyone a Way Back from Sin

in Robert D. Hales, Ensign, 1976, Nov.

...Ensign Article -

The Visiting Teacher: “More Sorrow for Sin”

in , Ensign, 1995, Aug.

... - Ensign Article - “More Sorrow for Sin” Skip to Content Skip to Navigation Search..., we not only forsake our sins but we also turn to Jesus Christ,...

The Sin of Achan

in Christopher J. Morgan, Ensign, 2002, Apr.

LDS.org - Ensign Article - The Sin of Achan Skip to Content Skip to Navigation...="LDS.org - Ensign Article - The Sin of Achan"

“I Will Remember Your Sins No More”

in Boyd K. Packer, Ensign, 2006, May

...Ensign Article - “I Will Remember Your Sins No More” Skip to Content Skip...» May “I Will Remember Your Sins No More” President Boyd K....

Edited by Hemidakota

Clearly some sins are worse than others.

If one looks at the consequences of any particular sin, one can rate them.

Obviously taking a life has serious consquences.

And adultery, with its capacity to destroy sacred marraige, and possibly give rise to bastardy outside of a normal family life is not a good way to go either.

Apparently some sins offended Jesus more than others.

But whoso shall offend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea. Matt. 18:6

And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear you, when ye depart thence, shake off the dust under your feet for a testimony against them. Verily I say unto you, It shall be more tolerable for Sodom and Gomorrha in the day of judgment, than for that city. Mark 6:11

I had a friend who often said, "Sure, sin is sin just as an apple is an apple, but some apples are bigger than other apples."