Hebrews 9:27

lizzy12

Without accepting the Book of Mormon as scripture, you can't (at least not that I'm aware of). The phrasing of the New Testament verse certainly makes it sound like judgment follows immediately after death. The LDS religion, however, has an additional assumption that the Book of Mormon is scripture equal in authority to the Bible, and that contemporary prophets exist to clarify doctrine. It is with the Book of Mormon and contemporary revelation that we justify our belief that judgment follows the Resurrection.

From the Bible--you probably can't.

From the Book of Mormon - read Alma, chapter 40.

There is a sort of "intermediate judgment" that occurs when we die, that determines whether we're (temporarily) consigned to Paradise or spirit prison. But it is not equal to the great and last judgment that takes place at the time of the resurrection (see Alma 40:15, 21).

You may run into some confusion here with your friend, if he isn't a Mormon, because I think most Christians teach that when you die, you lose consciousness until the resurrection. So under conventional Christian theology there's no need for an intermediate judgment--you don't go to any sort of heaven/hell (or paradise/prison) until after the final resurrection.

Reference Search: Hebrews 9:27

My friend and me were debating the Plan of Salvation and he referenced

27 And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:

Along with Judgment comes the time when ppl can except the Gospel right ?

but how can i argue that reasonably?

Here is the same question that was asked to Joseph Smith and here was his reply;

But not to occupy to much space, we will give the remainder, and make but one comment upon the whole.

John 17:4, 1, 4. "I have glorified thee on the earth: I have finished the work which thou gavest me to do. And now I am no more in the world, but, Father, keep, through thine own name, those whom thou hast given me, that they may be one, as we are. Father, I will that those also, whom thou hast given me, be with me where I am; that they may behold my glory, which thou hast given me: for thou lovest me before the foundation of the world." Acts 3:20, 1. "And he shall send Jesus Christ, which before was preached unto you: whom the heaven must receive until the time of restitution of all things, which God hath spoken by the mouth of all his holy prophets since the world began." Heb. 1:3,5. Also, 4:14.—6:20.—9:27,28.

"Who, being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high: For unto which of the angels said he at any time, Thou art my Son, this day have I begotten thee? And again, I will be to him a Father, and he shall be to me a Son! Seeing then that we have a great High Priest, that is passed into the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our profession.—Whither the forerunner is for us entered, even Jesus, made an high priest forever, after the order of Melchisedec. And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment; So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many: and unto them that look for him shall be appear the second time, without sin, unto salvation."

The times of restitution, spoken of in Acts, the reader will notice is to be applied to the very persons to whom it was spoken, for at the time their sins were to be blotted out. On the remainder we merely say. Christ was seen 40 days after his resurrection. See Acts 1:3. 10, 40, 41. Him God raised up the third day, and showed him openly; not to all the people, but unto witnesses chosen before of God, even to us who did eat and drink with him, after he rose from the dead.—The query is, did the apostles see him, or does the historian tell an untruth? 1 Cor. 15 commence with the 3rd and end with the 8th—we quote the 6th here. "After that (his resurrection) he was seen of above five hundred brethren at once!" Paul was personally knowing to this fact.

This "friend of truth" would have us believe that Messiah is not to come till the final judgment—this is a subject so plainly written in the bible that we deem it unnecessary to add any thing on it. Messenger and Advocate, vol. 1

I don't see a conflict here. We teach that we only die once. This scripture says nothing about people being able to accept the gospel after they die. It just says they die once. I can only thin of Lazarus who died twice.

the bible is very silent on what happens before and after this life.

There is a reference in the new testament where Christ wen to prerach to the souls in prison, and one where paul is using baptism for the dead as a support argument for resurrection... and thats about it for direct info on people getting the gospel after they die

and the reference is correct. The catch with that reference is that it does not give any time reference and does not sasy that the judegement is the only thing that comes after death.

CHeck these references

John 5

24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into ccondemnation; but is passed from ddeath unto elife.

25 Verily, verily, I say unto you, The hour is coming, and now is, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God: and they that hear shall live.

26 For as the Father hath life in himself; so hath he given to the Son to have life in himself;

1 peter 3

18 For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:

19 By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison;

20 Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.

1 peter 4

5 Who shall give account to him that is ready to judge the quick and the dead.

6 For for this cause was the gospel preached also to them that are dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit.