Prop 8 film out in June 2010

astral

The website says at first he wanted to focus on gay teens in Utah and suicide in Mormon Utah. He said he wanted to deal with how gay teens are kicked out of their homes.

Does that really happen on a large scale in Utah?

I suppose it must happen. I have known of LDS parents who have kicked out teens for not going to church.

Whew! I'm glad my rules don't include forcing someone to participate in an organization s/he doesn't believe to be true.

On a related note, the Church was just fined for improper disclosure of their contributions toward the Prop 8 campaign.

California agency OKs LDS Church Prop 8 fine - Salt Lake Tribune

It was for "in-kind" contributions, including staff time spent on the campaign. Yikes.

Yes, children should follow the rules. But kicking your children out because they don't want to go to services?

Not because they don't want to, but because they act in direct rebellion of house rules. They can still attend services (thus fulfilling the rules) without wanting to or even caring. Thoughts, desires, and emotions cannot be forced and should not be dictated. For children, their actions can and often should be dictated by parents.

Not because they don't want to, but because they act in direct rebellion of house rules. They can still attend services (thus fulfilling the rules) without wanting to or even caring. Thoughts, desires, and emotions cannot be forced and should not be dictated. For children, their actions can and often should be dictated by parents.

Depending on the age though this can damage the chances of them ever coming out of the rebellion on the side the parents want. Is it really worth forcing a child or teen to go ot church knowing all your doing is forcing them further away? Isn't that kinda diminishing returns?

I don't force my son to participate in YM (he's 14). He enjoyed Scouts, and enjoys Sunday meetings for the most part. I don't force him to go for a number of reasons:

The quality of the program is spotty. He's not going to go just to run around the building with the YM, playing grabass (or football, or frisbee, or basketball - he doesn't even like sports) week after week. We have a new YM pres who, I hope, will help the boys organize activities that -gasp- support the aims of the Aaronic priesthood.

He doesn't connect with the other boys. If the program focused on what they have in common, say, the Gospel, I think more connections would happen.

And last of all, if I desire for him to remain true to the Gospel, I'd better not make him hate church. So for now, he goes to the things that have meaning for him, and skips the stuff that doesn't.

And if he needed to skip it all, he's still welcome to live here. I need someone to fix the computer, don't I? ;)

Personally I have never understood the principle of forcing someone who doesn't believe in God or has no firm testimony and desire to go to church not sure what the point is, I want my children to make it I expect them too, but to me force was Satan's plan. I try to follow Lehi's example on this he seemed to manage to love Laman and Lemuel no matter what they threw at him, they were never rejected.

This is about teenagers. Until they are of age, I go by the "You live in my house, you follow my rules" philosophy. What they do when they turn 18 is up to them.

Whew! I'm glad my rules don't include forcing someone to participate in an organization s/he doesn't believe to be true.

On a related note, the Church was just fined for improper disclosure of their contributions toward the Prop 8 campaign.

California agency OKs LDS Church Prop 8 fine - Salt Lake Tribune

It was for "in-kind" contributions, including staff time spent on the campaign. Yikes.

THis is just wrong. The Church never forced anyone to donate time. People have a right to volunteer for campaigns. Isn't that what representative democracy is all about?

THis is just wrong. The Church never forced anyone to donate time. People have a right to volunteer for campaigns. Isn't that what representative democracy is all about?

Lol i think the comment nancy made about forcing was directed at forcing teens to go to church when they don't want to or don't believe because the parents say it's a rule.

It will be interesting to see the reaction this documentary draws from viewers. Remember the jeers the movie September Dawn drew from being so heavy handed in its treatment of the history of the Mountain Meadows incident?

One could make a documentary of Mr. Rogers and make him out to be a demon. I am sure the makers of this film have an ax to grind against the Church.

No dear. Read again. Church employees evidently worked for the campaign while on the clock. Members doing volunteer work is not subject to reporting regulations.

No dear. Read again. Church employees evidently worked for the campaign while on the clock. Members doing volunteer work is not subject to reporting regulations.

Oh, did not catch that. In that event then I suppose a law might have been broken. We have lots of lawyers that are LDS so it is too bad they were not advising the Church on the laws.

I supported Prop 8 and had some discussions with the miss on this. Her contention was that if you stick your hand in a hornet's nest you will get stung. Maybe the Church should have put gloves on first.

We have lots of lawyers that are LDS so it is too bad they were not advising the Church on the laws.

The church employs lawyers. It believe was just a mixup with the paperwork (I don't think they deliberately deceived the agencies to which they report - I sure hope not). That said, I was under the impression that the church itself didn't donate to the Prop 8 cause but only encouraged its members to do so. Sure, the Church didn't donate cash, but it did pay its employees while they worked for the cause.

I think it's distasteful to turn a religious organization into a PAC. Let us preach our values, let us cry repentance, let us invite people to Christ. Let's NOT get involved in politics.

I think it's distasteful to turn a religious organization into a PAC. Let us preach our values, let us cry repentance, let us invite people to Christ. Let's NOT get involved in politics.

Yes, let's use our 'knowledge of how to get things done' for the fulfillment of the Church's mission objectives!