A discussion of Heaven and our view of heaven

Traveler

I thought it might be interesting to explain what we may envision as Heaven. So I will start with some thoughts.

I do not believe that we will live in structures likes houses – I seen no necessity for such things. I envision heaven as social – where we know even each other’s thoughts and that someone that is untruthful will find extremely difficult and embarrassing to be around those that are honest.

The Traveler

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe there will be homes, families, and we'll be busy. We're not going to floating around with nothing to do. Our job in the highest degree of the Celestial Glory will be to create and mulitply. I do not see anyone popping in and out causing chaos like Q. LOL

Q is my idea of Satan

Guest mormonmusic
Hidden

You guys better stop or I might not want to be there anymore :) Constant work, no privacy, my thoughts being everybody else's busniness. Yikes!

I don't think that people in heaven will be untruthful, as the OP stated. Only because when we're in heaven, in the CK, we're perfected beings, are we not? Perfected would include only being truthful, I imagine. I see nothing wrong existing in heaven, as it defeats the purpose of what we're doing in trying to get there -- we're trying to perfect ourselves. :)

As for houses, I'm not sure that I think they'll be there or not. Maybe they will be, or maybe they won't. I think they won't be because once we're all in heaven, we're all basically one big eternal family, right? At least in the CK? We're already God's spirit children, and as the family continues to be a unit in the CK, I would imagine we'd all be more than happy to be around each other, and put issues such as privacy aside. Plus, my husband wonders if sex will be the same in the CK as it is here on earth? Even in marriages, sex tends to be more driven by lust, though of course it is still driven by love. But isn't it in our human nature, and thus our tainted one, to want sex sometimes? We're not always doing it to procreate, which I've always thought was the main purpose of it. Anyway, the hubby thinks that sex will be different, something maybe not seen so much as taboo, considering when we're in the CK we'll all have the same higher purpose that we've been blessed with while others in other glories of heaven have not -- to create.

But at the same time, we have no idea what sex will be like in heaven. So, who knows, maybe we will need a little bit of privacy?

Which means I'm also not sure how I feel about knowing everyone's thoughts. We might know them, or we might not. But something tells me, particularly when thinking of the council in heaven, that not everyone knew of Lucifer's plans, so why would we necessarily know everyone elses in the next life?

I do imagine that in heaven we'll be busy with our families, creating them, nurturing one another in the glory of the Lord; I often imagine my husband and I with our children, even the ones we've lost here on this earth (well, at this point, only one through miscarriage... hopefully no more), running around and playing, simply being joyful, without many, if any, cares "in the world," so to say -- we simply won't have the stresses and pressures of this world on our shoulders in heaven. We'll actually be able to spend our time with one another, versus here on earth, where with our fast-paced lives, sometimes it's easy to overlook our family members. I imagine heaven will leave us all feeling very relaxed, elated, and even give us an exalted glow. :)

Edited by JThimm88

I find it interesting that the concept of privacy is seen amongst some as undesirable, almost a fallen concept. The Savior sought privacy when he went deeper into the Garden to speak to his father. I suppose one could say he still had to deal with the limitations of a mortal body. The Lord shares things with us that are meant for us only, not to be spread around to everyone we encounter, in that sense I attach privacy to the sacred so attaching the concept of privacy to the profane seems strange to me. God very much keeps things private but I suppose I can see the merit of the argument that in the confines of the Celestial Kingdom at least there will be no need.

I suppose ultimately there simply isn't enough information to know either way. *shrug*

I thought it might be interesting to explain what we may envision as Heaven. So I will start with some thoughts.

I do not believe that we will live in structures likes houses – I seen no necessity for such things. I envision heaven as social – where we know even each other’s thoughts and that someone that is untruthful will find extremely difficult and embarrassing to be around those that are honest.

The Traveler

Why would you think someone would be untruthful?

Even in marriages, sex tends to be more driven by lust, though of course it is still driven by love. But isn't it in our human nature, and thus our tainted one, to want sex sometimes? We're not always doing it to procreate, which I've always thought was the main purpose of it.

Most marriages on the earth are telestial marriages and thus selfishness abounds. Even being sealed in the temple is no guarantee our marriage will last. The Holy Spirit of promise must seal the covenants we have made. This comes thru faithfulness and obedience to the LORD's commandments and striving to have charity.

Physical intimacy in marriage is not just for procreation according to the teachings of the prophets.

Elder Holland has taught:

"It is in that act of ultimate physical intimacy we most nearly fulfill the commandment of the Lord given to Adam and Eve, living symbols for all married couples, when he invited them to cleave unto one another only, and thus become 'one flesh' (Genesis 2:24)". (Of Souls, Symbols, and Sacraments by Jeffrey R. Holland)

I think there's going to be some form of "the collective" as in star trek. We will have personal thoughts but we will be able to tune into the collective anytime. One common cause but personal satisfaction in helping in the cause. Hmmm kinda like the sacred trees in Avitar. I'm my own tree, I give shade, shelter etc to those who depend on me but my roots will be connected to all the other trees in the forest. I will do what is good for my spot in the forest but the cause itself will be the welfare of all that live in forest and on the planet.

There will be cities and houses but made out of what and look like what I don't have a clue. Probably what meets our fancy. I like the house superman had at the north pole. All crystal looking, remember? Fields with perfect flowers covering the entire field and they sing perfect songs, what ever I want to make it like that's what it will be. It will be different if I go to someone else's heaven because it will be what they want it to be. There will be different degree's of heaven and I will be in God's heavens until I become a God in the highest and have progressed and learned how to make my own heaven, along with learning everything else. LOL It will take a long, long time but what is time to God? No sleep, no work because what we consider work will be joyful to do. Ok I better stop. lol

No sleep, no work because what we consider work will be joyful to do.

So many people have jobs they don't like in this life and therefore view work as a punishment. I have employment I enjoy most of the time. We should pray and ask the LORD to help us find joy in the work we do.

Most marriages on the earth are telestial marriages and thus selfishness abounds. Even being sealed in the temple is no guarantee our marriage will last. The Holy Spirit of promise must seal the covenants we have made. This comes thru faithfulness and obedience to the LORD's commandments and striving to have charity.

Physical intimacy in marriage is not just for procreation according to the teachings of the prophets.

Elder Holland has taught:

"It is in that act of ultimate physical intimacy we most nearly fulfill the commandment of the Lord given to Adam and Eve, living symbols for all married couples, when he invited them to cleave unto one another only, and thus become 'one flesh' (Genesis 2:24)". (Of Souls, Symbols, and Sacraments by Jeffrey R. Holland)

I wasn't saying that intimacy is simply for creating. Hence my saying it's probably the "main" purpose, not "the only" one. ;) I couldn't agree more that intimacy is used to bring husbands and wives closer (and keep in mind, in a good and healthy marriage, how else can two individuals be brought closer together than at the birth of their child -- their creation, made through that intimacy? I think it's the closest we'll know on this earth to how it feels to be like Heavenly Father and see something so pure that we've created).

And I also wasn't stating in any way that temple marriages mean you're guaranteed to last; I know plenty of individuals even in their mid-twenties who already have failed temple marriages, sadly.

In regards to intimacy, I was saying that on this earth, just as you view most marriages to be of selfish abounds, we can't escape the selfishness for intimacy with our spouse at times in our marriages either. I simply think it will be driven of a different nature when we're in the celestial kingdom, one purpose being that we will be able to use our intimacy for procreation just as we would here in this life. :)

Edited by JThimm88

Q acted as a catalyst for Jon Luc Piccard's realization that humanity had the potential for progression and was on that pathway. The Traveler whose race's own progression was on its way to Q status, acted as a direct instrument in helping Wesley Chrusher take a step in humanity's progress.

So many people have jobs they don't like in this life and therefore view work as a punishment. I have employment I enjoy most of the time. We should pray and ask the LORD to help us find joy in the work we do.

"..... doing work is a pleasure, a joy beyond measure, a duty of goodness and light."

President Brigham Young spoke to the Saints of his day. “There is a great work for the Saints to do,” he said. “Progress, and improve upon and make beautiful everything around you. Cultivate the earth, and cultivate your minds. Build cities, adorn your habitations, make gardens, orchards, and vineyards, and render the earth so pleasant that when you look upon your labors you may do so with pleasure, and that angels may delight to come and visit your beautiful locations. In the mean time continually seek to adorn your minds with all the graces of the Spirit of Christ.” Brigham Young, Deseret News, Aug. 8, 1860, 177.

Sounds like lots of work but think about the times when you have been the happiest and most often then not it has to do with some sort of thing where you were involved in making something better. A child, or person, a job, a calling, a lawn or yard, a hand sown dress etc. We feel really good when we help create beauty. Beauty in ourselves, others and in things. It's in us already, yes it's work but we will have a joy beyond measure doing it.

The Traveler

I do believe, we will live in mansions, castles, or what ever you like as a design for a building. Anyone that I have met who seen the across the veil, including past journals, all described societies with cities and vast arrays of buildings, cohabitant with families or friends.

Even Professor Nibley, told of his encountered of being allowed to walk to a library within a city by his ministering spirit.

I do believe, we will live in mansions, castles, or what ever you like as a design for a building. Anyone that I have met who seen the across the veil, including past journals, all described societies with cities and vast arrays of buildings, cohabitant with families or friends.

Even Professor Nibley, told of his encountered of being allowed to walk to a library within a city by his ministering spirit.

I've never had the opportunity to read of such experiences, thus this question: who is Professor Nibley? :confused:

Can the mind even comprehend what heaven would be like without buildings? I can't. Where would you be if not somewhere? And would this somewhere be a somewhere because it had a landscape with buildings? It has to be. Otherwise we would be a God that dwells everywhere but nowhere, can dwell in my heart but fill the universe. To be in a heaven without buildings is just not comprehendable. Where would we be then, in the middle of a big field? Or mountain? Maybe on a body of water?

Can the mind even comprehend what heaven would be like without buildings? I can't. Where would you be if not somewhere? And would this somewhere be a somewhere because it had a landscape with buildings? It has to be. Otherwise we would be a God that dwells everywhere but nowhere, can dwell in my heart but fill the universe. To be in a heaven without buildings is just not comprehendable. Where would we be then, in the middle of a big field? Or mountain? Maybe on a body of water?

I'd never really thought of buildings before (even in my upbringing which was non-LDS, mansions in heaven were still discussed -- you'd think that might've struck a chord with me, but alas, it didn't!), but now in understanding the eternal family unit can see the necessity for them. Maybe not so much because we'll need buildings as an issue of privacy (as I've written about before, I'm not sure that we'll need it or not?), but definitely because we'll still have our families in heaven and will need a place to continue living with them. :)

Anyway, in my non-LDS upbringing, and still to this day, I've always imagined heaven to be full of nature -- green grass, beautiful sunny skies (or rainier days if that's what someone prefers, lol), clear rivers of water, a lot of tall trees and flowers... :)

The Book of Mormon describes it as a beautiful place with rivers, hills, trees, and homes (be glad to give references). I think heaven will be much like the beautiful places of this earth, but on a much more grand scale. The physical is patterned after the spiritual.