A discussion of Heaven and our view of heaven

Traveler

Those are beautiful ideas but I don't think you will need to use so many adjectives that suggest you will need to rest or recover from something, like "hard day", "refreshing", "rest". I am curious why you think it will be such a tiring place or even the idea that one day might be different from the next, easy day, hard day, etc. That also seemingly suggests you believe there will be a "day" and "night". (And if one day is like a thousand there, you would be gone from your wife a long time.)

Because that is my idea of heaven. It brings me joy to work and to rest. Even God rested after creating the world.

I don't have this notion in my mind that we will be floating angelic figures on a polished floor forever, connected to the "collective". We will have our eternal inheritance in the mansions of the Lord, and our lives and relationships will be much like it is here. It will be work, and at times it will be hard and even heart wrenching, as we see our children stray from the light. Enoch was so puzzled that the Lord would weep, causing him to ask: "How is it that thou canst weep, seeing thou art holy, and from all eternity to all eternity?" (Moses 7:29).

Exalted beings will have a sense of humor, and be quite personable, with a full range of emotions. Why would we stop being who we are and turn into robots just because we are exalted?

It doesn't matter to me how long a day is in the eternities, and it doesn't change one bit what I think of when I think of heaven. However long a days is, or if I just decide to come home early, in any case, I will be firing up the Sauna. Got it? :)

Then shall they be gods, because they have no end; therefore shall they be from everlasting to everlasting, because they continue; then shall they be above all, because all things are subject unto them. Then shall they be gods, because they have all power, and the angels are subject unto them. (D&C 132:20)

I think under those conditions, I can have whatever kind of heaven I want.

Regards,

Vanhin

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We may not NEED to eat but I believe we will still enjoy eating. We may not NEED food but I still think we will enjoy gardening. Artists will continue to paint, architects will still design houses (which will be still be built), potters will still throw clay on a wheel. All in my own opinion of course.

At least in the Celestial Kingdom, I don't think anyone will have any kind of label based on a skill set like "Artist" or "Architect" or "Potter". What skill would any one person have that another in the celestial kingdom doesn't have? In this life to some is given 5 to some 2 and others 1 talent. In the end, though, if we are diligent and faithful servants we will receive all. If we are really given "all" that God has then there would also be no difference in talents or abilities or likes or dislikes amongst those that have been given all.

There is danger, at least in my mind, to desire a world in which people have different skill sets because that is like saying you like the kingdom where one star differs from another. ... just a thought. Some people even dislike the idea of being the same as everyone around them, they enjoy being unique and different. And, if that is what they learn to like in this world, I suppose there is a place prepared for them. I don't think we will automatically be the same, we may be at different stages of our development towards that goal and in that way be different but the goal of all those that make it into the Celestial Kingdom is to be like God in every aspect, from personality to appearance, to have His image in our countenance. Unless, one doesn't really think that we will have "all" that God has.

Because that is my idea of heaven. It brings me joy to work and to rest. Even God rested after creating the world.

I don't have this notion in my mind that we will be floating angelic figures on a polished floor forever, connected to the "collective". We will have our eternal inheritance in the mansions of the Lord, and our lives and relationships will be much like it is here. It will be work, and at times it will be hard and even heart wrenching, as we see our children stray from the light. Enoch was so puzzled that the Lord would weep, causing him to ask: "How is it that thou canst weep, seeing thou art holy, and from all eternity to all eternity?" (Moses 7:29).

Exalted beings will have a sense of humor, and be quite personable, with a full range of emotions. Why would we stop being who we are and turn into robots just because we are exalted?

It doesn't matter to me how long a day is in the eternities, and it doesn't change one bit what I think of when I think of heaven. However long a days is, or if I just decide to come home early, in any case, I will be firing up the Sauna. Got it? :)

Then shall they be gods, because they have no end; therefore shall they be from everlasting to everlasting, because they continue; then shall they be above all, because all things are subject unto them. Then shall they be gods, because they have all power, and the angels are subject unto them. (D&C 132:20)

I think under those conditions, I can have whatever kind of heaven I want.

Regards,

Vanhin

You can have whatever heaven you want and you will, I have no doubt of that and it will make you happy forever. That is God's plan to bring eternal happiness to everyone and I am sure Vanhin you are well on your way to that. I didn't mean to say anything less than that.

The bigger picture though, in this life is to work out our salvation. Now, is the time to decide what we want. And I think in making that decision we look towards Christ and the gospel to show us the way that brings the most happiness because we can't really know what that is like by seeing it through worldly eyes.

If one really wants to be like God then there would be no consideration to your future fatigue: Isaiah 40:28-31; "Hast thou not known? hast thou not heard, that the everlasting God, the Lord, the Creator of the ends of the earth, fainteth not, neither is weary? there is no searching of his understanding.

29 He giveth power to the faint; and to them that have no might he increaseth strength.

30 Even the youths shall faint and be weary, and the young men shall utterly fall:

31 But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint."

You can have whatever heaven you want and you will, I have no doubt of that and it will make you happy forever. That is God's plan to bring eternal happiness to everyone and I am sure Vanhin you are well on your way to that. I didn't mean to say anything less than that.

The bigger picture though, in this life is to work out our salvation. Now, is the time to decide what we want. And I think in making that decision we look towards Christ and the gospel to show us the way that brings the most happiness because we can't really know what that is like by seeing it through worldly eyes.

If one really wants to be like God then there would be no consideration to your future fatigue: Isaiah 40:28-31; "Hast thou not known? hast thou not heard, that the everlasting God, the Lord, the Creator of the ends of the earth, fainteth not, neither is weary? there is no searching of his understanding.

29 He giveth power to the faint; and to them that have no might he increaseth strength.

30 Even the youths shall faint and be weary, and the young men shall utterly fall:

31 But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint."

Nonetheless, both faith and hard work are eternal principles, and the same volume of scripture that you pulled the Isaiah quote from, teaches that God does rest...

And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made. And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made. (Genesis 2:2-3)

God does hard work, and he rests. Why does he need to rest, I don't know, and it's not relevant to my idea of heaven, and my desire come home and rest after day of hard Celestial work (oh and to fire up the Sauna and do a little sweat bathing).

Now that's heaven...

Regards,

Vanhin

Nonetheless, both faith and hard work are eternal principles, and the same volume of scripture that you pulled the Isaiah quote from, teaches that God does rest...

And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made. And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made. (Genesis 2:2-3)

God does hard work, and he rests. Why does he need to rest, I don't know, and it's not relevant to my idea of heaven, and my desire come home and rest after day of hard Celestial work (oh and to fire up the Sauna and do a little sweat bathing).

Now that's heaven...

Regards,

Vanhin

My point, which I feel bad that you want to defend so much, is that the bliss that comes from "resting" in this life will not be the same there because we will not get "tired". I obviously interpret that scripture different from you, I don't think God stopped working on the seventh day. I think He rested from those specific labors and then probably focused on other "labors" such as strengthening family ties, making plans for the next world or what have you. To rest from our labors on the seventh day is instruction for this world. What day is not a day of "worship" in the next life? If anything we will "rest" every day.

I'm not trying to say that you couldn't spend time in a sauna if you wanted to, I don't know that.

Does God need to rest? He probably needs time to prepare and create spiritually. I don't think I would go so far as to say that He needs physical rest due to weariness or fatigue as you are implying. In the next life, I don't think there will be physical weariness or fatigue, so the relaxing benefits that come from being in a sauna will also be different and kind of a useless activity. (Seminarysnoozer = dream smasher, :lol:)

At least in the Celestial Kingdom, I don't think anyone will have any kind of label based on a skill set like "Artist" or "Architect" or "Potter". What skill would any one person have that another in the celestial kingdom doesn't have? In this life to some is given 5 to some 2 and others 1 talent. In the end, though, if we are diligent and faithful servants we will receive all. If we are really given "all" that God has then there would also be no difference in talents or abilities or likes or dislikes amongst those that have been given all.

There is danger, at least in my mind, to desire a world in which people have different skill sets because that is like saying you like the kingdom where one star differs from another. ... just a thought. Some people even dislike the idea of being the same as everyone around them, they enjoy being unique and different. And, if that is what they learn to like in this world, I suppose there is a place prepared for them. I don't think we will automatically be the same, we may be at different stages of our development towards that goal and in that way be different but the goal of all those that make it into the Celestial Kingdom is to be like God in every aspect, from personality to appearance, to have His image in our countenance. Unless, one doesn't really think that we will have "all" that God has.

When I garden I'm a gardener, when I paint I'm a painter when I write I'm an author. Just because I can do more than one thing doesn't take anything from each individual thing. It's not the labels I am saying will continue but the work.

My point, which I feel bad that you want to defend so much, is that the bliss that comes from "resting" in this life will not be the same there because we will not get "tired". I obviously interpret that scripture different from you, I don't think God stopped working on the seventh day. I think He rested from those specific labors and then probably focused on other "labors" such as strengthening family ties, making plans for the next world or what have you. To rest from our labors on the seventh day is instruction for this world. What day is not a day of "worship" in the next life? If anything we will "rest" every day.

I'm not trying to say that you couldn't spend time in a sauna if you wanted to, I don't know that.

Does God need to rest? He probably needs time to prepare and create spiritually. I don't think I would go so far as to say that He needs physical rest due to weariness or fatigue as you are implying. In the next life, I don't think there will be physical weariness or fatigue, so the relaxing benefits that come from being in a sauna will also be different and kind of a useless activity. (Seminarysnoozer = dream smasher, :lol:)

I didn't imply anything about physical weariness or fatigue. I only implied things that bring me joy. Like hard (godly) work, resting, family, Finland, and sauna.

We weary God with our sins every day (Mal. 2:17), and I'm sure He appreciates a little R&R with his family, and Sauna with walls made of great Urim and Thummims, so that he can keep up with the comings and goings of eternity. That's what I'm talking about.

Heaven...

Regards,

Vanhin

I didn't imply anything about physical weariness or fatigue. I only implied things that bring me joy. Like hard (godly) work, resting, family, Finland, and sauna.

We weary God with our sins every day (Mal. 2:17), and I'm sure He appreciates a little R&R with his family, and Sauna with walls made of great Urim and Thummims, so that he can keep up with the comings and goings of eternity. That's what I'm talking about.

Heaven...

Regards,

Vanhin

Okay, sorry, guess "refreshing" means something different to you.

When I garden I'm a gardener, when I paint I'm a painter when I write I'm an author. Just because I can do more than one thing doesn't take anything from each individual thing. It's not the labels I am saying will continue but the work.

I agree with the work part ... just don't think we will use terms like "gardener" "painter" "architect" etc. any more than you would call yourself an "eater" because you eat, or a "shirt wearer" because you wear a shirt.

I could be mistaken; I have yet to see anything currently on this earth which resembles the Celestial glory, whether it is human or lesser forms of life. The last individual that was a celestial being was murdered by His own people. The only case I could see, portals to the celestial realms would be any temple. Anything else I do consider living, resides in a telestial state. Neither, I can fathom this Sun or any of the solar habitation could receive any direct light from GOD and live at this point.

Regards to the Book of Abraham, even our telestial Sun receives or borrows it light from medium vice directly from either Kolob, first world next to GOD or GOD HIMSELF. There is a notable reduction of physical light being seen if there is mediums between us and the celestial glory.

But if the earth fell from the presence of GOD, as stated by the brethren since Joseph time, the earth when in its paradiscal glory [Garden of Eden] resided next to Kolob. We do know, both Adam and Eve lived in a terrestrial state [see the D&C]. It goes reason, if our earth is not in either both the terrestrial or celestial state; what we are now observing is of a telestial order. Right?

I would suggest that there are things in this world that are Celestial as well as things that are not. (see D&C 132)

The Traveler