Modest Wedding Dresses

I've been looking at wedding dresses lately (for fun...no prospects at the moment) and am just want to be able to share my findings with any future brides...and also have anyone share their finds with me for the day I am seriously looking for a modest wedding dress!

I'm fairly picky in what I want for my dress (I may end up making it?). I want to wear my dress in the temple for the sealing without having to put in fabric inserts. For those of you that don't know, here's the guidelines for Temple Wedding Dresses: (This from the June 1997 New Era, p. 72)

• Each dress should be white. Many things in the temple are symbolic, and white brings to mind purity, virtue, and cleanliness of body, mind, and heart. Some fabrics may look white until you put them next to a sheet of typing paper. If you are in doubt about a fabric for your dress, try the paper test or take a swatch of the fabric you plan to use to the temple for appraisal before buying or making your dress.

• Brides should wear dresses that are modest, with a high neckline and long skirt. Temple workers will ask a bride to wear a dickey, or fabric insert, if her dress shows the shoulder or collarbone.

• Long sleeves are required. Because some current styles of gowns have short sleeves, special sleeve extensions are available at temples throughout the world. However, you may wish to add your own extension from fabric that would look good with your dress.

• Sheer fabrics must be lined. Camisoles and sleeve liners may be worn under a dress that has sheer areas or see-through lace panels. Brides who wish to use their dresses later for temple sessions, however, must have a permanent lining put in.

• A train must be removable or designed in such a way that it can be fastened into a bustle during the temple ceremonies.

• New styles of wedding dresses with long, slim skirts have recently been brought to the temple. These often have a long slit up the side or back of the skirt, extending above the knee. Because such a style is not appropriate for temple use, workers will provide the bride with a long slip or back apron to fill the gap. A bride may wish to furnish her own modest filler instead.

• Dresses should be free of elaborate ornamentation and kept in harmony with the simple and sacred nature of the temple ceremony. Also, each temple has a selection of lovely wedding dresses that a bride may use for the temple portion of the day’s events.—Margaret Richards, former matron, Jordan River Temple

One of the best sites I've found so far is...

Eternity Bridal

They are a retailer, so they sell to lots of different store across the USA and Canada.

Where did you get your wedding dress? Or where have you looked that have modest ones??

Edited by oldfashionedgirl

I actually didn't buy a wedding dress. I bought a temple dress however, and wore that for the sealing, and then changed into my reception wedding dress (the one pictured on my profile). My reception dress was made from scratch by a seamstress -- there was a dress I wore in high school, but I'm a convert -- the dress I wore was to my senior prom and was lilac colored and strapless, but I wanted to get married in that dress, or so I thought at 18 years old. 2 years later after I'd joined the church and waited a year to get sealed to my hubby (a lifelong church member), I got my wedding dress made to look similar to the one I'd loved so much in high school, but of course it was pure white, and had some sleeve to it. :)

One website I had looked at before I decided to have mine made was Latter Day Bride.

Of course, I've had friends who have worn their sealing dresses to the reception. Or, they've worn inserts underneath their wedding dresses that might not be long sleeved to make them so during the sealing.

EDIT: For what it's worth, it just makes more sense to get sealed in your temple dress anyway. It fits all of the requirements, after all. Also it's simply important to have, and nobody cares about your dress during the sealing. But have fun with the one you get for pictures/reception if you so please! :)

Edited by JThimm88
typo/addition

I also bought a Temple Dress and I still love it, its allowed me to wear an extra pretty dress to the temple ever since. I just dressed it up for the civil ceremony (required in the UK) and you could do the same for any photos, I put a gold shawl and wore a pretty headband with it. Mine was the melody, I did however change the buttons

Women::Temple Dresses - White Elegance - Makers of LDS Temple Clothes, Temple Dresses, Pioneer Costumes and more

I bought my dress from one of the LDS-oriented modest gown websites, but I don't remember which one. My neckline was squared off, and was definitely low enough to show my collarbone (which will show when you wear anything other than a turtleneck), and it had short sleeves. I was asked to wear a little white bolero jacket with the dress, to cover my arms during the sealing, but that was it. As you get closer to a wedding, you may consider contacting the temple matron at your nearest temple to ask her about the collarbone thing, because I've never heard of that. Even my regular temple dress exposes my collarbone, and I bought that from a church distribution center.

i think the collarbone thing is unique to certain temples. if they have issues with girls pushing the limit all the time they can make the rules more strict to eliminate the problem. what i was told anyway. if i recall correctly my dress came just below my collarbone.

i had my dress made. if you keep it simple it's really not all that expensive. i went and looked at patterns. found one i liked that was very close to what i wanted. then i talked to the seamstress about the modifications i needed to make it work for the temple without needing extra clothing from them (that was something i really wanted). the seamstress was great and was able to easily make the modifications.

• Each dress should be white. Many things in the temple are symbolic, and white brings to mind purity, virtue, and cleanliness of body, mind, and heart. Some fabrics may look white until you put them next to a sheet of typing paper. If you are in doubt about a fabric for your dress, try the paper test or take a swatch of the fabric you plan to use to the temple for appraisal before buying or making your dress.

awesome list, thanks for sharing. the only thing i wanted to add/say is to check with your temple about the color of your dress. my cousin got married in the cardston alberta temple 2 years ago and she wore a cream colored dress (she has dark skin and the cream suited her skin tone much better than white). i know a lot of guests were shocked that a cream dress was 'allowed', but it was.

Thanks so much for all of your advice! I think that it's great that there are actually options out there for soon-to-be lds brides.

I think that the temple dress idea is a good one too! Just get an extra nice one, then dress it up a little. And those dresses are usually around $150 for a super nice one.

I've toyed with the idea of making one(er...having my aunt make one). That's always a great idea because you get EXACTLY what you want in a dress.

David's Bridal makes a few boleros that would make a sleeveless dress modest:

David's Bridal | Accessories | Wraps, Gloves & Sashes | Bridal

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I need to start looking for a temple dress, though I might just rent one for that. My wedding reception dress is very modest, but short-sleeved.

My wedding dress had short sleeves. The temple had long-sleeved sweaters and boleros that I could borrow, or they also suggested a white t-shirt underneath. If your dress is long enough and otherwise completely modest, you can still wear it in the temple, just with something over the top.

My wedding dress had short sleeves. The temple had long-sleeved sweaters and boleros that I could borrow, or they also suggested a white t-shirt underneath. If your dress is long enough and otherwise completely modest, you can still wear it in the temple, just with something over the top.

I think I might look for something cute and long and white to slip underneath, then.

Finding an otherwise modest dress was easy for me. The designer was Mormon. In fact, I found out last week that all the immodest dresses at her shop were made by other designers.

• 2 weeks later...

that's awesome to hear, backroads :)

here's where i just ordered my temple dress from! they have some really nice things. distribution has some nice temple dresses as well. latter-day bride too, in addition to Dressed in White and White Elegance. i also came across some super-pretty bolero jackets too. i have a lot of things saved still, so PM me and let me know if you're interested in them.

Modest Wedding Dresses - ETERNITY Gowns: Sophisticated Dresses and Gowns Designed with Modesty in Mind for Weddings, Prom, Shabbos, Quinceanera, Pageants, Muslim Events, LDS Temple, etc.

*temple dresses are under the "sacred" tab*

(i got EB025)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
Guest tammi6523
Hidden

Check out this website for OZ brides Dresses: Wedding dress selection

They have bridesmaids dresses, accessories and other tools to use in planning. If you can't find something you like that's modest enough you might be able to add something to a less modest dress depending on the style or you could wear a cute little cropped jacket over it.

• 5 months later...