Catholic Forum

Has anybody here been to the Catholic forum? (catholic.com, I believe)

I happened upon it after reading an old post from here that mentioned it. I was amazed at the number of Mormon threads in the non-Catholic section of the forum.

It seems like the Catholics in there really like to bash the Mormons...

I just took a glance and couldn't stomach it. It makes me appreciate this site more - that we don't have that kind of negativity to any church in this forum. I love how Prison Chaplain is one of my favorite posters in here, Dr T and the Kabbalist another.

I truly believe that most people are in their churches because that's where they truly think they can get closer to our Heavenly Father. It is not for the lack of trying to do what is right before God - it is truly their best effort at what they understand is the truth.

It makes me sad to see Christians cruelly calling another group non-Christians just because they don't belong to ___ church, when such cruel words and actions are completely contrary to what one would think a Christian would utter.

I would like to use this thread to THANK everyone here, especially the moderators, for a wonderful forum where all Christians of all faiths are made to feel welcome.

Has anybody here been to the Catholic forum? (catholic.com, I believe)

I happened upon it after reading an old post from here that mentioned it. I was amazed at the number of Mormon threads in the non-Catholic section of the forum.

It seems like the Catholics in there really like to bash the Mormons...

I just took a glance and couldn't stomach it. It makes me appreciate this site more - that we don't have that kind of negativity to any church in this forum. I love how Prison Chaplain is one of my favorite posters in here, Dr T and the Kabbalist another.

I truly believe that most people are in their churches because that's where they truly think they can get closer to our Heavenly Father. It is not for the lack of trying to do what is right before God - it is truly their best effort at what they understand is the truth.

It makes me sad to see Christians cruelly calling another group non-Christians just because they don't belong to ___ church, when such cruel words and actions are completely contrary to what one would think a Christian would utter.

I would like to use this thread to THANK everyone here, especially the moderators, for a wonderful forum where all Christians of all faiths are made to feel welcome.

The three top words that are associated with Mormons

1- Family

2- Polygamy

3- Cult

I have found that most apologists are not so concerned about defending their religion as tearing down others. I am interested in learning about other religions and I do not trust most of the Apologetic sites out there because they are so biased and derogatory. There is truth in them for sure, but sifting truth from legend, myth and half truths is an arduous and impossible task without seeking out opposing view points.

Especially for growing "alternative" religions there is a lot of opposing literature (Mormons, Jehovah Witness etc.) because Christianity, Catholicism in particular, is shrinking in numbers in part because of these growing religions. Their attempts at "apologetics" are often to bring back wandering eyes, encouraging propaganda within their church.

The LDS church is not exempt from this, it is there. It is on this forum, it's everywhere. What do we say about others and their beliefs? Are we scared to see what it is like on the other side? Why? Because we are afraid what you might find? We need not be scared or insecure.

-------

Check out my blog at

Know♣Justice

The Sign of Jonas

I'm a member at the forum as well, and as a Catholic, let me say that it personally makes me quite angry to see the way other religions are treated in the non-Catholic section of the forum.

In fact, a few weeks ago I had been involved in some of the threads concerning LDS, but ended up having to leave because of the lack of charity involved with some of my fellow Catholics. I even attempted, as a sister in Christ, to gently correct their attitudes, but I too was then ridiculed.

I'd like to apologize on behalf of the Catholic Church and other Catholics for their behavior-- it certainly is not representative of the values of the Catholic Church or its beliefs. The members that post on the Catholic forum are not necessarily sanctioned by the owners or apologists that run the forum, never the less, their words and actions ought to be moderated more closely, I think.

Especially for growing "alternative" religions there is a lot of opposing literature (Mormons, Jehovah Witness etc.) because Christianity, Catholicism in particular, is shrinking in numbers in part because of these growing religions. Their attempts at "apologetics" are often to bring back wandering eyes, encouraging propaganda within their church.

I agree there is a growing opposition for what you name "alternative religions," but I don't think the cause is shrinking number. You'll find that membership in Catholicism is actually on the rise.

I think part of the reason that many Christians and Catholics as well are so defensive (even to the point of lack of charity) toward the LDS is because it seems secretive. Let me rephrase that, because I don't want anyone to misunderstand what I actually mean. Not that the LDS are secretive, but that the religions seems secretive. If people would take the time to learn more about the faith, they would receive answers to their questions. There are a lot of misconceptions about the true nature of the LDS faith and beliefs. I would hope this is something Catholics would commiserate with, considering we suffer from the same thing-- people thinking they know what our faith believes but really don't... and they won't even ask us to clarify.

In defense of the Catholic church though, they have stood with LDS on many social issues and humanitarian efforts. Let's not paint a picture of Catholics and other faiths based on what is said on a forum.

We have found on this site that Catholics and LDS can get along quite well. I don't want to have this thread turned into any kind of bashing of the Catholic religion.

I agree there is a growing opposition for what you name "alternative religions," but I don't think the cause is shrinking number. You'll find that membership in Catholicism is actually on the rise.

Your correct, I had heard that it was shrinking, but I shouldn't have said that as I didn't know for myself.

in 2007 the Church grew 1.5% whereas the world population grew 1.2%. It grew .3% worldwide, the highest % growth being almost .5% in Africa.

And it's not the catholic church that is saying those things so there is no need for you to apologize for them. The catholics and Mormons have a lot of common ground.

In defense of the Catholic church though, they have stood with LDS on many social issues and humanitarian efforts. Let's not paint a picture of Catholics and other faiths based on what is said on a forum.

We have found on this site that Catholics and LDS can get along quite well. I don't want to have this thread turned into any kind of bashing of the Catholic religion.

I was a devout Catholic for 30 years before I got baptized LDS. I STILL LOVE the Catholic Church. I am super positive that the Catholic Church does not condone that kind of religious bashing.

My side of the family are all Catholics. I went to Catholic schools from Kindergarten through a Bachelor's degree in college. I've studied Catholic history and dogma for a very long time - both the easy and the difficult. I truly believe that God saw it fit to bring me Catholicism first because it wouldn't have worked the other way around for me. My journey is compeltely my own and other people have their own journey that the Holy Spirit guided them through.

Cultism, polygamy, multiple Gods - that doesn't faze me. I went through a lot tougher stuff as a Catholic... try explaining Marian aparitions and transubstantiation to the rest of the Christian world. It's not easy.

I read a few of the threads there and it looks like most of the contentious ones are started and egged on by ex-LDS turned Catholic! That is interesting...

This post is intended to thank and applaud our forum members (that includes the Catholic members here) with special thanks to the moderators... not to bring down any religion, especially my beloved Catholics.

I was also hoping to bring to our attention in this thread that sometimes, in the heat of argument, we forget that in the face of opposition, it is more important to show Christlike charity than to hammer a point.

To be fair, most of the members of this forum are too busy bashing and nit picking our own religion to take the time to bash and nit pick someone else's. :D

Mormons are nicer because we're too busy baring fangs at each other over Coke? Who'd of thunk? :D

Let's not paint a picture of Catholics and other faiths based on what is said on a forum.

Some of the nicest people I met on my Mission when tracting (generally a good way to get some nastiness flung at you) were Catholic. Lewiston, ID has a fair share (as does Spokane, WA). Of course my Mission was an eye opener, I managed to get to an Evangelical* and a Catholic service.

* Kinda fun, the message that service was Missionary work. :D

Edited by Dravin

Why do you hate me MOE? Why must you always judge me for judging you? Haven't you figured out in all your time here that my heart has always been filled for love for you and my fellow Mormons?

Why do you hate me, Pam? Why must you always judge me so? Haven't you figured out in all your time here that your heart should be filled with love for your fellow mormons!?

Except for those not of your political affiliation right? ;)

I went back there today and read a few posts. Yikes. The LDS members there bare their claws too - mostly in defense - but it is quite a contentious bunch out there.

So, yeah, I'm done with my curiosity. It truly can kill the cat!

Pam, I should send you another pansit package as thanks for all you do.