How would you spend large some of money?

Hemidakota

How would you spend large sum of money?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. How would you spend large sum of money?

• Real gold
    • Food, water, emergency supplies
    • Farm with land
    • Pay off remaining debts

Recent a new lottery open that has tempted even our family. 50 million with extra 55 prizes of single million dollars. Every Friday they pump those ads on TV telling you could be the next winner.

Now this is no big deal for me but my neighbor years ago won $1000.000 on a extra.:o

So every week I think what would I do with 50 million dollars???????

No I never buy a ticket

I thought of that last night if I had in the past done a certain specific thing where now, those who did, are either millionaires or billionaires today. For me, this temptation was too great and knowing my own weakness for toys (a lot of fast cars require an oversize 14-car garage and private Boeing Business Jet). We settle for the lesser life (Peter remark to Lucifer on his needs- Temple Endowment Session) and live/build the kingdom of GOD. My wife? She would gladly give it away to those who need it more… :lol:

I was out of debt until this last April and then racked up some big medical bills. I would pay off all those bills first. It was a great feeling not having any debt and would like to feel that again.

This is a great question for discussion. I have always dreamed of a large sum of money to spend. Who hasn't? Earlier in my life, I probably would have gone through a large sum of money like candy, spending it on everything from cars, clothes, to boats. But now that I am just a titch older and maybe a little wiser (although my wife may argue the second), I would pay off all of my debts, finish and update my food storage, buy emergency supplies, help others, and put the rest into savings or invest it in gold. Who knows what's around the corner with our economy the way it is?

:patriot:

In all seriousness, I would set up a scholarship fund geared towards non-traditional students trying to re-invent themselves. Besides tuition and books, it would cover daycare expenses so that a single-mom/dad could return to school while still caring for their children.

One other thing I would like to do is to open up an Alzheimers facility that still allows some dignity to those affected with this disease. One that keeps the safety of the person a #1 priority. One that doesn't keep the patient doped up all the time to ease the burden of care.

And if I had lots of money, it would allow families to pay based on financial ability and not by the greediness of the facility itself.

Edited by pam

1 Tithing

2 Pay off debt.

3 Mission-school fund for 3 kids.

4 Help out immediate family.

5 Retirement funding.

6 Increase emergency storage.

7 New or improve old house.

8 Set up a perpetual Mission Fund in our Ward or Stake to assist those who can't afford missions.

9 Contributions to temple fund, perpetual education fund etc.

10 1970's Corvette T top or convertible for my wife and a 66-69 Mustang convertible for me!

11 A shopping spree at Cardston Books and the church distribution center.

12 Buy the Ward a Bus for the MANY non driving members we have!

That would be the short list.

How much money are we talking about? I'm usually pretty cheap about what I buy. If I had say 10 million dollars, I'd give money to my father and the siblings who I know would not simply blow the money. I would also make sure to never tell any of my friends that I had that much money. I wouldn't want it to ruin any of my relationships because people would start coming to me when they wanted something.

Now if I had more money than I knew what to do with, I've always wanted a castle. I'd most likely help those I could here and there but I would never donate any of my money to any charity or thing like that. If I use my money to help people, it will be me helping them and not a charity.

There have been many economic studies on what people do with money. There is something called propensity to spend. In essence people have a high probability to spend money and use money the same regardless of how much they receive. This means that if you have debt problems now – getting a chunk of money will most likely end in increasing debt problems.

Does anyone want to be wealthy? Really – you think you would like to be wealthy? There is a simple formula and if you follow it you will be wealthy in less than 5 minutes. There is a two step process.

Step #1. Learn to love and enjoy work. This is the most difficult step – most people plan to work less if they ever get more money – which means that it is impossible for them to ever be wealthy.

Step #2. Spend less than you earn.

Sorry you read this yet - did I destroy your dreams? If so - I am sorry the truth is disapointing to you. :(

The Traveler

We actually had this happen when my wifes Grandmother died, We paid off all debt and then we bought a house and remodeled it, unfortunatly an unplanned job change (layoff/new job) made us sell it 2 years later during during the downturn in the housing market.

TRaveler,

If I had won the money, I can guarantee after paying off my wife's debt, it would grow again. she has the propensity to use credit cards alot :\. Probably send her to credit counseling. Anyway,

Pay off debt, INVEST the money in a house and harvistable land and be self reliant with solar, wind, geothermal energy. Have emergency food supply.