anyone volineer for Habitat for Humanity?

bcguy

I elected to attend the info session to habitat for humanity. I want to get my house construction skills up to snuff so I can do home renovations AFTER I purchace the fixer properties ;) It also looks good on the resume.

Has anyone volunteered for this organization? Can you use them as a referance? What was the overall outcome of working for HFH ?

You can volunteer anywhere there's a local chapter. My experience has been that they are glad for any help that they get, and if you work with them more than once the odds of getting a referral are probably pretty good.

That reminds me; I need to see when there are builds going on in my current area. I feel the urge to hammer.

My wife and her friends were watching some TV show that had a guy who built houses for low income people through his church. It seemed like the show was mocking Jimmy Carter because the guy who headed the organization killed people and put them in concrete under the houses. Guess nothing is sacred anymore.

Back to reality. With the economy looking worse and worse every day do you people think that eventually our church will start doing the Amish thing? A couple could buy all the building materials and then the ward could all chip in and raise a house for them. It would save families a lot of money.

Edited by Voyager

I elected to attend the info session to habitat for humanity. I want to get my house construction skills up to snuff so I can do home renovations AFTER I purchace the fixer properties ;) It also looks good on the resume.

Has anyone volunteered for this organization? Can you use them as a referance? What was the overall outcome of working for HFH ?

You can use pretty much any volunteer work on a resume. It's showing experience even if not getting paid for it. Many employers like to see that their employees get involved in their community as well as their job.

Edited by pam

Loved my experiences with HFH. I've built about 8 or so houses with them so far. Never had any need to put it in my resume though, but I'm sure if it adds to your marketability you can put it in.

I'm sure if you are applying for computer repair, you may not want to tell them how handy you are with a hammer.

Edited by pam