Thinking about writing a book/story

BrioCyrain

Recently I have had the urge to write a book recently but I am unsure as an LDS what kind of resources I have if the book were to be published in the future. Right now the only thing I have down for it is a love story about marriage with more or less some japanese influences.

I am just hesitant if there is a market for such a story.

Listen. There will always be a market for a GOOD story with rich characters overcoming insurmountable odds. When writing your story, just make sure that the characters are some that your readers will cry for, root for, and follow them wherever they go... bad or good. Great story will always have a market.

What LM said is pretty important. What is your intended audience? If you are planning on gearing it toward LDS then your market will be pretty small. But just because you are LDS doesn't mean you have to market it to LDS.

Well, I think the story can be read by people who aren't LDS. Just depends if they find a story about being married forever cheesy.

• 2 weeks later...

Some great advice has been given so far and I'll 'ditto' most of it. The LDS market is small and the parameters you have to work in as far as content are tighter than most. As far as publishing, I guess it depends on what your goals are. Do you need to be "published" to be content with your work? Or do you just want to find a broad audience to share it with? E-publishing can definitely fulfill the latter, though many authors (including myself!) like the perks that come when you can say you have a published book. It's good to decide now, before your work is finished, what you want because that can guide you as you write. Also, if you want an actual book to hold you're going to have to learn more about the business. Attend writer's conferences, pick up recommended books. They'll tell you about getting agents and querying publishers, writing your synopsis (very important!) and hone your skills as a writer.

Good luck in pursuing your dream!

Well, I think the story can be read by people who aren't LDS. Just depends if they find a story about being married forever cheesy.

I'm LDS and I think a story about that would be cheesy. Not the real-life concept, but a fictional account that involved it.

I'm LDS and I think a story about that would be cheesy. Not the real-life concept, but a fictional account that involved it.

I find that a bit stange, and I rather just have it more of a "shared" story than a big chunky book.

Also an update that I am about 3 pages into the story :)

• 4 weeks later...

There are also many writers who happen to be LDS who write books that are not intended for LDS audiences, mainly for content reasons. Sometimes their characters might happen to be LDS, and others might not be. My wife's books would not be read by most LDS for this reason, but many LDS do read them. My wife writes romance....steamy romance. Like the bodice rippers. But many of her characters are LDS. Being LDS is not what the stories are about.

I guess my point is this:

Do you want to be know as an "LDS Author" or an author who is LDS?

• 1 month later...