mormons and coffee ice cream

lizzy12

Some coffee flavored ice cream is artificially flavored which would be fine in my mind. The stuff with actual coffee in it I would stay away from, same way I'd steer away from ordering tiramisu. That's just my own take on it, ultimately it is between a person, the Lord and their Priesthood Leader (I'm thinking Temple recommend interview). So my opinion on the matter isn't of particular import.

Do you think coffee ice cream breaks the word of wisdom?

Coffee ice cream isn't something I'd consume. To me the spirit of the Word of Wisdom is that one shouldn't partake of coffee for pleasure. The manner in which coffee is consumed is inconsequential in terms of it being a forbidden substance.

It doesn't matter if you smoke tobacco, chew tobacco, or inhale tobacco as snuff you are violating the Word of Wisdom if you use tobacco for pleasure. Why should the manner in which one consumes coffee for pleasure be different?

Edited by Daniel2020

it's what is IN coffee that makes it be against the word of wisdom, doesn't matter if it's hot or cold. I don't think anyone should make an exception, you can get lured in this way even if you don't realize it.

The Word of Wisdom itself specifies "hot drinks," which has been interpreted to mean coffee and tea. Never has there been any explanation or official word as to why these substances are prohibited.

My mom once in a great while will purchase ice cream that has coffee in it.

After i point this out she shrugs, and puts it in the fridge.

I would tell your Mom to take that Coffee ice cream out of the fridge and attack it without mercy and enjoy it. I think the Lord is much more concerned about more important things in our lives than a little ice cream that's flavored with coffee. (IMO)

It sounds so good, I think I'll have to try it next time I'm at the grocery store if I can remember.

My daughter's favorite flavor of shake at Arby's is Jamoca.

That part about the artificial flavoring not really being coffee is just a technicality. If it says coffee flavored then it obviously was not very valiant in the pre-ice cream state of existance. Most likely it was fluid and too easily swished back and forth to each side.

:evilbanana:

My mom once in a great while will purchase ice cream that has coffee in it.

After i point this out she shrugs, and puts it in the fridge.

Is it truly the coffee bean is added to the list of ingredients or has someone already suggested - flavored? If it is, use your own wisdom here in what to do. I think you already know the answer to such.

I know the sentiment is to not be judgmental and I heartily agree with that we all have our indiscretions* (if that is what it is, I consider it such but I'm not the one answering the WoW question in a temple recommend interview for her, nor the one asking them). Maybe I'm misreading. If people are thinking it isn't an indiscretion so don't worry about it, that I can understand. Or are thinking it is an indiscretion but don't go condemning the woman, we all have our weaknesses, that I can understand. But the vibe of, she shouldn't but at least she's not out killing puppies seems almost like justification. Well, I could be doing worse so this doesn't matter.

Or am I fabricating this vibe?

* I'm assuming the woman in question is a member because otherwise pointing out it has coffee outside of say high blood pressure doesn't make sense. At any rate a nonmember partaking of coffee isn't even an indiscretion as they've not covenanted to abstain.

Edited by Dravin

It'd be very hard for me to give up tiramisu.. But having said that, I'm still working on the whole coffee thing. On a positive note, I've given up on drinking alcoholic beverages. Yay me.

Edited by Bini
THIS IS MY 1000 POST! CELEBRATION!!!

I know the sentiment is to not be judgmental and I heartily agree with that we all have our indiscretions* (if that is what it is, I consider it such but I'm not the one answering the WoW question in a temple recommend interview for her, nor the one asking them). Maybe I'm misreading. If people are thinking it isn't an indiscretion so don't worry about it, that I can understand. Or are thinking it is an indiscretion but don't go condemning the woman, we all have our weaknesses, that I can understand. But the vibe of, she shouldn't but at least she's not out killing puppies seems almost like justification. Well, I could be doing worse so this doesn't matter.

Or am I fabricating this vibe?

* I'm assuming the woman in question is a member because otherwise pointing out it has coffee outside of say high blood pressure doesn't make sense. At any rate a nonmember partaking of coffee isn't even an indiscretion as they've not covenanted to abstain.

its not justification, I personally think its something we all decide. But my jist is we are all imperfect and if all I went to the Lord for judgement with was I ate the odd bowl of coffee icecream I'd be relieved.

If I were LDS I wouldn't eat coffee flavored ice cream. I don't drink "Near Beer" either. If God really said no to the real deal, why would I try to soften the sting of God's command with something like-but-not-so-bad as what God prohibits?

On the other hand, I'd be loathe to condemn a fellow member who sincerely saw no harm in artificial mock-flavorings.

One small sin leads to other small sin, which leads to bigger sins later. We not only focus on the small measures of life, as we focus on the larger measure of life. Anything, no matter how small, or how big that will take away the Spirit of the Lord.

Do you think that's the case with flavored coffee ice cream?