Flying Other Flags on July 4th

Bini

I woke up this morning and noticed our neighbours flying an Italian flag outside their house. They're nice people but isn't that a bit of a social etiquette violation? It just seems inappropriate, especially, on America's Independence Day. You'd have to have a lot of audacity to fly an American flag in some countries on any day. But on the flip side, freedom is what makes America a great place and I suppose you can't blame people for having pride in where they came from. Even if the day they choose to show that pride lands on July 4th.

Thoughts?

From my experience with these things in my good ole' hometown of Modesto, CA it's almost always meant to show at least some disrespect to the other ethnic groups. There's always the wars of Mexican v.s. U.S. flag waiving on the 4th of July and Cinco de Mayo. I don't know anything about your neighbors, but that's how it is in Modesto.

Just my personal opinion of course, but I would have to say a bit disrespectful. Of course not knowing their intent behind it....but if I saw it I would think a thumb nosing at the US.

It would be like never flying the US flag in your yard but putting it out on Cinco de Mayo.

It would be like never flying the US flag in your yard but putting it out on Cinco de Mayo.

That's the key for me. If they normally fly a flag I'd think nothing of it, but to only fly it on that specific day is trying to send a message. In my view it'd be like moving to Canada and making a point to fly a US flag on Canada Day, any American who did so deserves* to have a paper plate of Nanaimo bars thrown at them.

* Okay not really

We just had a kerfuffle about flying the American flag on Cinco de Mayo. I'm always interested in discovering hypocracy in my self where I find it, so let's see.

I think Bini's neighbor was at best, innocently ignorant of the impact they'd have. And at worst, intentionally being butt-heads to tick people off and make a statement.

I think the student wearing the flag at cinco de mayo was at best, innocently ignorant of the impact he'd have. And at worst, intentionally being a butt-head to tick people off and make a statement.

Phew! I'm good. How about you folks??

LM

Edited by Loudmouth_Mormon

No wait..I'm not good. I'm having to look up the word kerfuffle. Sheesh...the words people come up with.

I think Beefche needs to add this one to her Wednesday word of the day on facebook.

We just had a kerfuffle about flying the American flag on Cinco de Mayo. I'm always interested in discovering hypocracy in my self where I find it, so let's see.

Despite my joking it's the kind of action that you just shrug over and move on with your life, raising a stink is just silly.

Edited by Dravin

That's the key for me. If they normally fly a flag I'd think nothing of it, but to only fly it on that specific day is trying to send a message. In my view it'd be like moving to Canada and making a point to fly a US flag on Canada Day, any American who did so deserves* to have a paper plate of Nanaimo bars thrown at them.

* Okay not really

YAY! I know what I'm doing next Canada Day! :lol:

(Nanaimo bars are YUMMY!)

It might have more to do with the football World Cup only time you ever see flags flying in my country is on a sandcastle, something to do with the Royal Family or football. I know Italy isn't still in it but everyone seems to fly their own national flag here. The Semi Finals are coming up

YAY! I know what I'm doing next Canada Day! :lol:

(Nanaimo bars are YUMMY!)

Are you sure you'd want to trust treats made in anger? Canadians are nice, but they also have a vicious side, just look at the whole burning down the White House thing.

Few things truly irritate me. Not celebrating the independence of a country you live in and allows you the freedom to fly any flag you so choose is one of them. However, it seems to me your neighbors are trying to get a reaction and I would certainly not give them the satisfaction. If anything I would probably tell them their flag was pretty and wasn't it so nice to live in a country they were free to fly it in.

PS. Thank you to every soldier who daily gives of themselves so that myself, my children, my friends and all my fellow Americans can enjoy our freedom. That is something many of us take for granted, but today we remember and recognize your sacrifice.

No wait..I'm not good. I'm having to look up the word kerfuffle. Sheesh...the words people come up with.

I think Beefche needs to add this one to her Wednesday word of the day on facebook.

I don't have enough words. I don't talk enough as it is. I may have to hunt her down and friend her so I can add to my personal lexicon.

(lexicon: how's that for a word of the day?)

It might have more to do with the football World Cup only time you ever see flags flying in my country is on a sandcastle, something to do with the Royal Family or football. I know Italy isn't still in it but everyone seems to fly their own national flag here. The Semi Finals are coming up

Good point!

If anything I would probably tell them their flag was pretty and wasn't it so nice to live in a country they were free to fly it in.

I wouldn't say that -- sounds pretty smug to me.

I woke up this morning and noticed our neighbours flying an Italian flag outside their house. They're nice people but isn't that a bit of a social etiquette violation? It just seems inappropriate, especially, on America's Independence Day. You'd have to have a lot of audacity to fly an American flag in some countries on any day. But on the flip side, freedom is what makes America a great place and I suppose you can't blame people for having pride in where they came from. Even if the day they choose to show that pride lands on July 4th.

Thoughts?

Hmm...I would be glad to give them a US flag. :P

They need to remember, as those who live in this land, by flying another set of colors, if you love that country that much, why do you still live here?

But in this case, not knowing the neighbors, I would suggest an offering since they may not have one or could afford it. Even this morning, our neighborhood friendship group, purchased small size flags for the whole street to be resurrected on the lawns. Not knowing me, I have my own regular size flag and hanged in the front window, showing my love for this country and its people who gave their lives for us.

Now, serving or traveled in any foreign land, would not place my own country's flag higher than the local flag or displayed it without the other. It is sign of disrespect - period.

[

I will admit that is a weakness of mine, I can be quite smug at times. However, that would still be my response. I was lucky enough to be born American. I think of all the people who work so hard for that, they leave their homes, their families everything they have ever known for a chance to become an American. Our soldiers fight for the freedoms we hold dear. To have someone fly a flag from another country on independence day is offensive at best. I could understand flying an American flag as well as your flag from your homeland but to fly only the flag from your homeland, especially if that flag is not normally flown and only done on July 4th is much more smug than any comment I could make to them.

Edited by not_ashamed

[

I will admit that is a weakness of mine, I can be quite smug at times. However, that would still be my response.

I would probably come up with the same kind of response.

Hmm...I would be glad to give them a US flag. :P

They need to remember, as those who live in this land, by flying another set of colors, if you love that country that much, why do you still live here?

But in this case, not knowing the neighbors, I would suggest an offering since they may not have one or could afford it. Even this morning, our neighborhood friendship group, purchased small size flags for the whole street to be resurrected on the lawns. Not knowing me, I have my own regular size flag and hanged in the front window, showing my love for this country and its people who gave their lives for us.

Now, serving or traveled in any foreign land, would not place my own country's flag higher than the local flag or displayed it without the other. It is sign of disrespect - period.

Exactly.

I have also seen people fly their homeland flag alongside the American flag. That's better than not flying the US flag all together.

That's kind of like saying if I love San Diego so much why do I stay in Utah? I would much prefer to live there instead of Utah. I would much prefer to fly a California flag than a Utah flag. But due to financial situation and family obligation and circumstances I am forced to stay in Utah. But without knowing their situation it's a bit unfair to say that. Are they in the US due to job, family or other reason?

Do they need to be sensitive to our traditional holiday? Yes. But they can still have a love of their homeland.

Edited by pam

That's kind of like saying if I love San Diego so much why do I stay in Utah? I would much prefer to live there instead of Utah. I would much prefer to fly a California flag than a Utah flag. But due to financial situation and family obligation and circumstances I am forced to stay in Utah. But without knowing their situation it's a bit unfair to say that. Are they in the US due to job, family or other reason?

Do they need to be sensitive to our traditional holiday? Yes. But they can still have a love of their homeland.

I agree with this too and somewhat fit into this category. I grew up overseas my entire life and have a special place in my heart for England and the Philippines. I moved to America because this is where my father wanted to eventually retire. So he bought land and built on it. My sister and I were under 18 at the time and had no say in the matter. It was definitely a bit awkward doing the American National Anthem for awhile and of course paying tribute to the US flag. At the time, we'd much rather have paid our tributes to the GB or PI flag.

Now, where in the world did a state become involve here? Please stick with the OP topic. It is dealing with countries and flying a foreign flag. There is no comparison here in trying to call an apple a orange or orange an apple.

At this point, I will say it again, if you planned to fly a foreign flag, ensure you fly the country's origin flag along side the flag. It is sign a respect for the people in that land. It has nothing to do with sensitivity, but providing knowledge to the individual what is appropriate or not.

Now, where in the world did a state become involve here? Please stick with the OP topic. It is dealing with countries and flying a foreign flag. There is no comparison here in trying to call an apple a orange or orange an apple.

At this point, I will say it again, if you planned to fly a foreign flag, ensure you fly the country's origin flag along side the flag. It is sign a respect for the people in that land. It has nothing to do with sensitivity, but providing knowledge to the individual what is appropriate or not.

when are the World Cup semi finals? I still think given they are Italian it may be as much to do with that. We still have flags flying because of it. And believe me us Brits are not a nation of flag wavers. I saw 3 Scottish Flags and they didn't even qualify

OH please..do you not see an analogy when one is given? State or country you basically are saying if you love the other place so much why are you here? I will stand by my opinion that unless you know their circumstances no one has a right to ask that question of someone. I will also stand by my opinion that they should respect our holiday but they can also love their homeland.

when are the World Cup semi finals? I still think given they are Italian it may be as much to do with that. We still have flags flying because of it. And believe me us Brits are not a nation of flag wavers. I saw 3 Scottish Flags and they didn't even qualify

Good point Elgama, I didn't think of that.