Dear readers,

okay i have a really hard time reciving answers. i have a friend who has had conversations with the spirit, where as i dont get anything. and its really hard. each time i really feel like i am going to be answered i really belive that somthing will happen a feeling or someone says somthing perfectly, or even just a scripture screams out the answer and then nothing. and each time its harder and harder to psych my self up. but i do and i do belive that i will get an answer i just need some help. so i am writing this tread to see if i see an inspired reply and i could use some encouragement as well as maybe some advise as to what i should do better or different.

ive been to the temple and got a blessing in the past 2 days. i have been reading my scriptures and praying every day.

a few months ago i belive i recived my answer. in fact it is the only time i have ever felt like i have gotten an answer while praying and that "feeling" overcame me. problem is i only told a few ppl and they all said that not only was that answer wrong but that i wouldnt have gotten that as an answer. that it was just what i wanted. and i have seriously been wondering if thats true. then while praying it hit me. you've gotten your answer. then the blessing i got is making me re-consider. and i want to do what the lord wants me to do bc i know things will turn out right if i do what he wants me to do. i just need to know what that is bc i have been getting so many mixed signals. and there are some eternal things that i have to decide between.

i hope this is enough infprmation. if i need to later i will give more. i am sealing this thread with a prayer and begging for help.

-confused

Not knowing the complete details and what answer you are truly seeking for, I can relate hopefully something here that may aid you.

Reception of the Spirit is like a car radio, you need to tune it to find the proper frequency. When you find the Spirit did not return an answer, there are two options here: 1] you already receive it, or 2] there is something amiss still in your life that needs repentance. Constant companionship requires us to seek out the Holy Ghost. Even the Lord instructed the Bountiful Nephites to first desire and seek the Holy Ghost before anything else.

Regards to the Holy Ghost, for any member in the church, what type of reception is seen by this member of Godhead is the following:

1] A stranger

2] A visitor

3] or a constant companion.

Coleen Baird had almost the same issue with the reception of the Holy Ghost. Noting her unique blessing under the hands of the counselor, a deep impression was left in gaining a constant companionship. Then she explains her own process in obtaining her goal. Coleen stated:

I was sitting in the bishop’s office participating in one of those special occasions when we receive strength and blessings through the priesthood. I was being set apart as Laurel adviser in my ward. Many of the things that were said at that time I have since forgotten, but one thing made a particularly deep impression on me. The counselor who was setting me apart admonished me to work toward receiving the constant companionship of the Holy Ghost. When he spoke those words, there was a burning within me, and the wisdom of his counsel was impressed upon me.

I had often heard Church leaders speak about the necessity of having the guidance of the Holy Ghost, and I had tried at different times to make the influence of the Spirit an integral part of my life. But discouragement would come easily, and I always felt that I had never quite succeeded. Frustrated, I would reason away my failure with the notion that the companionship of the Holy Ghost must be for the General Authorities and their families. I felt that as long as I lived a “good” life, someday in the distant future I might qualify for that blessing...

...It becomes apparent, after searching the scriptures, that in order to have the companionship of the Holy Ghost our lives must be in conformance with gospel standards, for “the Spirit of the Lord doth not dwell in unholy temples.” (Hel. 4:24.) President Harold B. Lee has said, “The key to success in this regard is humility of spirit whereby one seeks to live in accordance with the eternal perspective of an everlasting life and the earnest effort to know the will of the Lord.” (Conference Reports, Oct. 1946, p. 146; italics added.)

An “earnest effort to know the will of the Lord” reminds us of Nephi’s exhortation to diligently seek the Holy Ghost. (See 1 Ne. 10:17.) We have to desire the Holy Ghost and make that desire manifest through earnest prayer and supplication. “And it shall come to pass, that if you shall ask the Father in my name, in faith believing, you shall receive the Holy Ghost.” (D&C 14:8; italics added.)

Once we have done these things—having lived according to gospel standards, prayed diligently, exercised faith, and received guidance from the Holy Ghost—the scriptures point out that our job is not yet done. We must then listen to the promptings of the Holy Ghost, the “still small voice” that may come naturally as a thought or impression. The Prophet Joseph Smith said, “A person may profit by noticing the first intimation of the spirit of revelation; for instance, when you feel pure intelligence flowing into you, it may give you sudden strokes of ideas, so that by noticing it, you may find it fulfilled the same day or soon … ; and thus by learning the Spirit of God and understanding it, you may grow into the principle of revelation.” (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, p. 151.)

I had an experience that illustrates this concept. While I was serving as Relief Society president in our ward, my husband was asked to serve as elders quorum group leader while the quorum president was gone for the summer. When we received word that the quorum president would not be returning, we discussed the possibility of my husband filling this position. We disregarded it, however, feeling that both of us filling such demanding and time-consuming jobs would be too hard on our three preschoolers.

But still I felt the inclination to pray about it. One night as I was praying the thought came clearly into my mind that if the Lord called my husband to this position, we were to recognize it as an indication to us that He felt it was possible for us to handle the assignment. If we would be wise in our planning, our children would not suffer. When my husband was called by the stake president and sustained to this position the next week, I saw the fulfillment of the promptings I had received. Prior to being called, my husband had also received witness from the Holy Ghost that this was the position he was to fill at this time.

We must be teachable and open to the whisperings of the Spirit—something that improves with practice. We must become accustomed to listening to the Spirit in little daily matters as well as larger ones. Such instruction about little things may come to us line upon line, precept upon precept, for the Holy Ghost reveals to us only that amount which we are able to accept.(LDS.org - Ensign Article - The Holy Ghost: A Stranger, Visitor, or Constant Companion?)

Like all of us, we must remain in a humbled state in order to be teachable, and clean enough, to be attuned [example of the radio tuning to the right station] to the whisperings of the Spirit when it does speak.

To add further here, knowing how the Lord may give revelations, there are different forms in how the Lord may give an answers. Elder Darren H. Oaks back in 1981 gave talk at the 'Y' that may aid you:

I am going to speak this morning about revelation. Revelation is communication from God to man. It can occur in many different ways. Some prophets, like Moses and Joseph Smith, have talked with God face to face. Some persons have had personal communication with angels. Other revelations have come, as Elder James E. Talmage described it, “through the dreams of sleep or in the waking visions of the mind” (Articles of Faith, p. 229). In its more familiar forms, revelation or inspiration comes by means of words or thoughts communicated to the mind (D&C 8:2–3; Enos 1:10), by sudden enlightenment (D&C 6:14–15), by positive or negative feelings about proposed courses of action, or even by inspiring performances, as in the performing arts, the beautiful music we heard at the beginning of this devotional assembly being a notable example. As Elder Boyd K. Packer has stated, “Inspiration comes more as a feeling than as a sound” (“Prayers and Answers,” Ensign, November 1979, p. 19).

Assuming you are familiar with these different forms of revelation or inspiration, I have chosen to discuss this subject in terms of a different classification—the purpose of the communication. I can identify eight different purposes served by communication from God: (1) to testify; (2) to prophesy; (3) to comfort; (4) to uplift; (5) to inform; (6) to restrain; (7) to confirm; and (8) to impel. I will describe each of these in that order, giving examples. (Revelation - Dallin H. Oaks)

Again, perhaps it is more of retuning the inner spiritual radio to find the proper frequency in order to hear the whispering of the Holy Ghost. Even a slight frequency off, can sound noisy and unclear to what is given.

I, too, often have a tough time interpreting answers from the Spirit, and I have found over the years that it's often because I want a specific answer so much that I can't stop myself from focusing on that and that skews my perception. I have no idea if this is your issue or not, it's just something to consider.

One thing we have been told is to study the issue out in our minds, come to our own answer, then take that answer to the Lord for confirmation (or denial, as the case may be). If we feel a warm fuzzy feeling about our answer, that is the Spirit confirming to us that it is the right one. If we feel a "stupor of thought" or a negative feeling, that is our clue that we need to go back to the drawing board. If we feel nothing, it could be that the Lord is not concerned with our decision and it is up to us to decide if it is right or not.

However, I should mention that even using this formula I often have difficulty. I find that I have to be careful when I pray as much as how I pray. If I'm in a bad mood, have just watched a movie that doesn't tend to invite the spirit, if my mind is cluttered with problems, etc., I have a much harder time being receptive to the Spirit.

I know that may not help you at all, but they're just some suggestions regarding things I've noticed about myself.

If you think its from the Lord go with it, maybe ask for a blessing, or try praying them opening your scriptures.

I too have had an unusual response to a prayer and 6 months on I am glad I listened to the Lord and not the people who said it wasn't from Godm

okay and now i will add a little more detail. and everyone's opinions shall change...

the decision is marriage or mission.

i know that every1 says the mission 100%. but hear me out. i prayed made a decision and that is when i felt like i really got an answer. get married. i told my bishop and he said i was wrong. then said that if my answer is contrary to what the prophets have said then it cant be right. which then makes me think of nephi when he was asked to kill laben. now i realize im not nephi and that its not the same scenario.

my gf was praying for the same thing and revived an answer. she refused to tell me til i got my own answer. to which all i could think of is i have already gotten my answer.

when i asked my bishop to talk to me more about it to help me understand all he did was repeat himself.

i currently have a $10,000 debt bc i was scammed out of my money and i may have cancer.

i can pay off the 10,000 this year if i work really hard. and im in the process of discovering whether or not i have cancer. i am afraid bc i feel like i cant talk to my bishop about this issue. and w/o a defiant answer yes i should stay i dont know if im strong enough to deal with all the family friends co-workers and my bishop all saying im wrong. i just need some in site some help. a kind word, and an honest opinion.

- marriage or mission

My opinion has not changed, you and your gf are the ones entitled to the answer. A mission isn't a requirement to the Celestial Kingdom marriage is. You don't know if you have a promised spirit waiting to come etc, neither do the people giving you advice. Have you had a blessing

This might be somewhat helpful.

Q: Is a mission for everyone?

Elder Hinckley: I would not say that a full-time mission is for everyone. Missionary work is rigorous. It is demanding. It is difficult. It has never been easy, and it never will be. It requires strength of body, strength of mind; strength of spirit. We must face the fact that there are a few who should not try to perform a full-time mission. Those who cannot should not feel discouraged because some incapacity will not permit them to go. We should remember that there are many ways to serve the Lord acceptably.

I feel strongly, however, that every member of the Church should live to be worthy to go on a mission and teach the gospel to others. Then, of course, we need to accept the judgment of our church officers concerning our qualifications. If the bishop feels that it would be better that we not go on a mission, then we should accept that judgment and go forth and do those things that we can do. There are many ways to help build the kingdom. If every young person tries to equip himself for missionary work, he will be better qualified to teach the gospel as the opportunity presents itself in his normal walks of life. (LDS.org - New Era Article - A Visit with Elder Gordon B. Hinckley about Missionary Work)

Regards,

Vanhin

If you truly believe that you have received an answer from the Lord, then you need to go with that.

That said, I was once absolutely convinced that the Lord had given me a "yes" answer in regards to marrying someone and a few months later they basically abandoned me. So just be sure that the answer you're getting is truly from the Lord and not from your own hopes and desires. Looking back now, I can see that was the case for me (which is what I was referring to earlier when I said my own emotions sometimes get in the way).

okay and now i will add a little more detail. and everyone's opinions shall change...

the decision is marriage or mission.

i know that every1 says the mission 100%. but hear me out. i prayed made a decision and that is when i felt like i really got an answer. get married. i told my bishop and he said i was wrong. then said that if my answer is contrary to what the prophets have said then it cant be right. which then makes me think of nephi when he was asked to kill laben. now i realize im not nephi and that its not the same scenario.

my gf was praying for the same thing and revived an answer. she refused to tell me til i got my own answer. to which all i could think of is i have already gotten my answer.

when i asked my bishop to talk to me more about it to help me understand all he did was repeat himself.

i currently have a $10,000 debt bc i was scammed out of my money and i may have cancer.

i can pay off the 10,000 this year if i work really hard. and im in the process of discovering whether or not i have cancer. i am afraid bc i feel like i cant talk to my bishop about this issue. and w/o a defiant answer yes i should stay i dont know if im strong enough to deal with all the family friends co-workers and my bishop all saying im wrong. i just need some in site some help. a kind word, and an honest opinion.

- marriage or mission

What was your answer again by the Spirit?

yes i have gotten a blessing it said that id get my answer this week.

my answer was get married this year.

my patriartical blessing tells me to prepare. and i am and have been. it then goes on to say i need to serve in w/e capasity that i am called to. so it doesnt say im going to serve a mission i just need to prepare and be worthy aqnd do what im called to do

In the end, you have to trust in the Lord and his Spirit and in your ability to interpret the answers. While I have certainly misinterpreted a few answers I thought I had received, I've also gotten plenty of them right. And even the ones I got wrong have since been learning experiences for me. I say trust your instincts.