Inspiring screamo music!

PrinceofLight2000

Think it doesn't exist? Think again!

YouTube - Counterparts - Sturdy Wings

Note how the guitars have a lot of lift in them, and the vocals aren't all that hard to understand. As compared to say, Underoath's older material. For me, though, it takes away from the spirit when I can't follow the music itself and it becomes erratic and disorganized, as well as if the lyrics have a bad message, but I'm sure this varies from person to person (the part about the music, not the lyrics, anyway). Lyrics are in the description. I find them to be very uplifting and I feel the spirit while listening. =D That said, I wouldn't listen to it on Sunday because it's not reverent. I find that we should listen to music on Sunday that is both spiritual and reverent.

I'll post some more examples if anyone would like to see.

Edited by PrinceofLight2000

Okay, well...hmmm...ummmm....sorry I found nothing inspiring about this at all. Different strokes.

Perhaps you're not as literary with your lyrics as I am. haha.

Let me try to break it down for you. =D

Everything we are today stems from the marrow of our back bone

(they have grown from all their trials instead of letting them bring them down)

This is dedication at its finest,

And we owe everything that we have to you,

Our driving force,

Causing us to constantly better ourselves.

We are redefining the meaning of contentment.

And though the odds are against us,

We all know that we will prevail.

We will prevail.

Accepting all the negativity and turning it into fuel

For the flames that we keep burning on the inside.

Burning from the inside-out.

Consider this a thank you,

For helping us to mold our future selves.

(all of the above here is directed at God)

And your words alone are not enough to destroy our commitment.

(the perspective changes here, they're addressing people who would tear them down because of their beliefs.)

This is where i belong.

This where we belong.

(they hold their ground)

Has absolutely nothing to do with lyrics. The screaming leaves nothing to bringing in the Spirit for me. That's just me personally. Perhaps others, like yourself, will see it differently.

Perhaps you're not as literary with your lyrics as I am. haha.

I seriously hope you just used this word incorrectly or I just might find myself offended. :)

lit·er·ar·y (lPosted ImagetPosted ImagePosted Image-rPosted ImagerPosted ImagePosted Image)

adj. 1. Of, relating to, or dealing with literature: literary criticism.

2. Of or relating to writers or the profession of literature: literary circles.

3. Versed in or fond of literature or learning.

4. a. Appropriate to literature rather than everyday speech or writing.

b. Bookish; pedantic.

I think the word you meant is literal.

Has absolutely nothing to do with lyrics. The screaming leaves nothing to bringing in the Spirit for me. That's just me personally. Perhaps others, like yourself, will see it differently.

I seriously hope you just used this word incorrectly or I just might find myself offended. :)

lit·er·ar·y (lPosted ImagetPosted ImagePosted Image-rPosted ImagerPosted ImagePosted Image)

adj. 1. Of, relating to, or dealing with literature: literary criticism.

2. Of or relating to writers or the profession of literature: literary circles.

3. Versed in or fond of literature or learning.

4. a. Appropriate to literature rather than everyday speech or writing.

b. Bookish; pedantic.

I think the word you meant is literal.

No, I meant literary. Don't you consider poetry to be literature? haha.

For me, the screaming brings a lot of passion. When coupled with a good message, it comes across to me as a triumphant cry in support of what is right.

And I sincerely hope you're not offended by my listening to inspirational heavy music. *headbang* :cool:

Then I take offense. I'm a singer and take lyrics very seriously. Again, had nothing to do with lyrics, had everything to do with screaming.

Then I take offense. I'm a singer and take lyrics very seriously. Again, had nothing to do with lyrics, had everything to do with screaming.

There's actually a lot of technique involved in learning how to scream properly so you don't damage your vocal cords.

This is just another example of a different instrument being used in a different way, but for a good, wholesome purpose.

Like I said..different strokes. If you find it inspiring that's ok. To me it doesn't and that's ok too.

This reminds me of the thread about the Passion of the Christ that I read on here. lol.

Since we're on the topic of music in general now, what's your opinion of this song? I really admire the guy's voice, and his backer harmonizes incredibly well.

Okay the song isn't bad. Honestly I don't hear a lot of harmonizing. What I do hear sounds to me like the same singer singing both parts and then mixing the song.

Guest Godless

Not bad. I like bands that can merge hardcore energy with Christian values (even though I'm not a Christian). Unfortunately, I haven't encountered a wide range of bands that fit that description.

Edited by Godless

Not bad. I like bands that can merge hardcore energy with Christian values (even though I'm not a Christian). Unfortunately, I haven't encountered a wide range of bands that fit that description.

Check out the record label Tooth & Nail. Pretty much all of their bands are amazing, and they're all Christian.

Well I like the song! But I'm also a fan of Underoath, well their older material anyway. Are the members LDS or is this just "inspirational?"

I don't think they're LDS since they do swear a couple times (I edit out any music with one or two curses using audacity, it's great. =D) but yes it's very inspiring nonetheless.

Actually I take that back. They're not ALL Christian, but most of the bands are. And the ones that aren't still have positive values in their music, like the Juliana Theory (even though they're dead and gone... so sad).

Secret and Whisper are amazing. They're my favorite heavy band. Check em out.

• 1 month later...

I know I'm old so please forgive me but, in my ancient opinion a person listening to any genre of music must be able to hear CLEARLY a minimum of at least one word related to religion like, Jesus, Heaven, Heavenly Father...etc before the song or band can be legally name Christian or inspirational. Screamo by definition cannot provide this so I'm sorry. To me screaming at the top of your lungs = violence or another type of negative action. Screamo-pig squeel and many other funky named genre's are NOT, to me personally, considered religious because frankly, they just sound evil. Excuse for being old fashion. I mean no disrespect to the fans or the bands of such type music...if it can actually be called that. But it's America! SCREAM ON!!! :P

I know I'm old so please forgive me but, in my ancient opinion a person listening to any genre of music must be able to hear CLEARLY a minimum of at least one word related to religion like, Jesus, Heaven, Heavenly Father...etc before the song or band can be legally name Christian or inspirational. Screamo by definition cannot provide this so I'm sorry. To me screaming at the top of your lungs = violence or another type of negative action. Screamo-pig squeel and many other funky named genre's are NOT, to me personally, considered religious because frankly, they just sound evil. Excuse for being old fashion. I mean no disrespect to the fans or the bands of such type music...if it can actually be called that. But it's America! SCREAM ON!!! :P

These two are not the same thing. Christian music speaks directly of Christ. Inspiring music speaks of inspirational, good thoughts that come from Christ.

Assumption. Screaming or raising one's voice at all denotes passion or a high level of emotion, not violence or a "negative action". Sure, one can be passionate about anger, but not all passion is in anger, and not all anger promotes negativity. Have you ever heard of such a thing as indignation? Furthermore, one can also have noble frustration while being expressive about the most Christ-like path to take.

They sound evil? How? The words don't make me think negative things or put me in a negative mood, neither does the music. Did you bother to read the lyrics to the video I provided? Just because the music and vocals are passionate and powerful doesn't make the message less inspirational. As I said before, it represents a powerful and triumphant cry for what is right.

Now, for scriptures.

For my soul delighteth in the song of the heart; yea, the song of the righteous is a prayer unto me, and it shall be answered with a blessing upon their heads.

Sing unto him a new song; play skilfully with a loud noise.

O clap your hands, all ye people; shout unto God with the voice of triumph.

Cry out and shout, thou inhabitant of Zion; for great is the Holy One of Israel in the midst of thee.

To further my point, I'll post recent counsel taken from the 2009 Ensign.

Many youth listen to music that can be described as loud and fast, becoming louder and faster. It aims to agitate, not to pacify; to excite more than to calm. Beware of that kind of music.

Source: The Power and Protection of Worthy Music

Notice how he uses the word "beware", as opposed to a word such as "avoid". If we look up beware in the dictionary, we find a definition such as this one:

be·ware

   /bɪˈwɛər/ Show Spelled[bih-wair] Show IPA

–verb (used with object)

1. to be wary, cautious, or careful of (usually used imperatively): Beware such inconsistency. Beware his waspish wit.

–verb (used without object)

2. to be cautious or careful: Beware of the dog.

The way Elder Nelson applied linguistic prowess here is very important, and I would definitely say it was inspired. Note that Elder Nelson's use of the word "beware" wasn't in the imperative sense; rather it was used without object.

He didn't make an imperative against anything in particular, he was simply telling us to be careful of stylistically similar music that might entice us with their sound in order to present us, and attempt to convince us to believe, an evil or negative message or feeling. Not to avoid at all cost. Furthermore, must we not also appreciate goodness wherever it can be found?

And behold, there were divers ways that he did manifest things unto the children of men, which were good; and all things which are good cometh of Christ; otherwise men were fallen, and there could no good thing come unto them.

And set in order the churches, and study and learn, and become acquainted with all good books, and with languages, tongues, and people.

(Books can be substituted with music, movies, games, or any other form of media.)

I don't think that there's anything wrong with, in Elder Nelson's words, getting "agitated" (which simply implies "a brisk, definitive motion for" in this case) or "excited" about a good, Christlike action or message. Isn't that what you'd like for the youth to think?

Verily I say, men should be anxiously engaged in a good cause, and do many things of their own free will, and bring to pass much righteousness;

I'll end my note with another song by the same band in my OP. Make of it what you will. Your taste will dictate to you if you enjoy it or not, but that doesn't make the message as presented less uplifting for me, or for others.

YouTube - Counterparts - Only Anchors

Lyrics:

When you're reduced to living everyday

Carrying the weight of your conscience on your back,

Just know it can be lifted.

And you can be victorious in this war against yourself.

You've got the strength inside to turn this all around.

And I can only speak from experience,

The rest is up to you.

Whether you're stuck in the past,

Or lost in the future,

This is for you.

I'm standing my ground,

Living for right now.

And I'm finally free.

Only anchors can keep me from moving forward.