Am I lactose intolerant?

Suzie

I can eat all sort of dairy products with no problems at all and even foods that contain milk. However, I am not able to digest a glass of milk or chocolate milk at all. As soon as I do, I get a lot of pains in my stomach and I have to run to the bathroom immediately. :animatedthumbsdown:

What's up with that? Is it possible to be just lactose intolerant when I drink a glass of milk??? :huh:

I'm not sure that I would consider it to be lactose intolerance just by drinking milk. Usually if you are lactose intolerant you don't tolerate many foods with dairy products. Is it just milk that forces you to run to the bathroom or have you noticed it with other types of foods. Not those necessarily with dairy products.

Pam, only when I drink milk (not when milk is mixed with other products or foods).

MOE, yes of course. I don't really drink much milk, I don't like it but once in a blue moon I feel for a glass of milk and this happens every time. Not an immediate concern of mine but just curious if anyone has the same symptoms.

Suzie, I call myself lactose sensitive. Some milk products bother me and some don't. I've never been diagnosed by a doctor, but just make dietary changes as necessary.

I can see how straight milk could affect you, but not milk products mixed in dishes. Perhaps something is done when mixed with other things to eliminate the enzyme that produces the symptoms for you.

It could be an intolerance, it could be an allergy (which is different), or like beefche said, it could be just a sensitivity.

I had a mission companion who was lactose intolerant, but she could build up a tolerance. Half a cup of yogurt one day, a bowl of cereal and milk another, and pretty soon she was eating pints of B&J's ice cream! If she went two weeks without any dairy, though, she would feel sick the first time again, but slowly work herself back up.

But I'm with MOE -- ask your doctor, not us.

• 2 weeks later...

Cheese often has enzymes that help you digest it, and yogurt contains "live and active cultures" that help you digest it. You're probably lactose intolerant.

I'm lactose intolerant - haven't drank milk in years and gave up dairy altogether several months ago. Smartest thing I've ever done.

I can drink milk, eat yogurt and cheese slices with no problem. It's when the cheese or milk are used in sauces etc that I have a problem.

But mine isn't being lactose intolerant..it's from another condition.

Edited by pam

Cheese often has enzymes that help you digest it, and yogurt contains "live and active cultures" that help you digest it. You're probably lactose intolerant.

I'm lactose intolerant - haven't drank milk in years and gave up dairy altogether several months ago. Smartest thing I've ever done.

Lactobacillus, the bacteria responsible for yogurt, metabolizes lactose into lactic acid (it produces lactase as well), thus why some folks who are lactose intolerant are able to eat such products but not drink a glass of milk as there is less of the offending lactose (aka milk sugar) present. As far as dishes that are mixed (say a shot of milk in your oatmeal) it could be an issue of dilution, it slows down the interaction of lactose with your body enough that it can handle what is being thrown at it. Cheese according to my understanding doesn't mess with you as much because much of the lactose is removed with the whey and in the case of an aged cheese with lactobacillus present you get the same benefit from it as in the case of yogurt.

Note commercial yogurts sometimes add milk solids (same with sour creams) which can mess with this.

Edited by Dravin