"...because of stiffneckedness and unbelief they understood not my word;"

Reading this morning in 3rd Nephi chapter 15, I failed in the past in picking up the bolded section from previous annual studies.

11 And now it came to pass that when Jesus had spoken these words, he said unto those twelve whom he had chosen:

12 Ye are my disciples; and ye are a light unto this people, who are a remnant of the house of Joseph.

13 And behold, this is the land of your inheritance; and the Father hath given it unto you.

14 And not at any time hath the Father given me commandment that I should tell it unto your brethren at Jerusalem.

15 Neither at any time hath the Father given me commandment that I should tell unto them concerning the other tribes of the house of Israel, whom the Father hath led away out of the land.

16 This much did the Father command me, that I should tell unto them:

17 That other sheep I have which are not of this fold; them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd.

18 And now, because of stiffneckedness and unbelief they understood not my word; therefore I was commanded to say no more of the Father concerning this thing unto them.

19 But, verily, I say unto you that the Father hath commanded me, and I tell it unto you, that ye were separated from among them because of their iniquity; therefore it is because of their iniquity that they know not of you.

20 And verily, I say unto you again that the other tribes hath the Father separated from them; and it is because of their iniquity that they know not of them.

21 And verily I say unto you, that ye are they of whom I said: Other sheep I have which are not of this fold; them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd.

22 And they understood me not, for they supposed it had been the Gentiles; for they understood not that the Gentiles should be converted through their preaching.

23 And they understood me not that I said they shall hear my voice; and they understood me not that the Gentiles should not at any time hear my voice—that I should not manifest myself unto them save it were by the Holy Ghost.

24 But behold, ye have both heard my voice, and seen me; and ye are my sheep, and ye are numbered among those whom the Father hath given me.

The reason why the jews did not receive the greater word, was "(v.18) And now, because of stiffneckedness and unbelief they understood not my word; therefore I was commanded to say no more of the Father concerning this thing unto them".

If the Jews would had humbled themselves before and show enough faith in His words, the Savior would have taught them of other tribes on the mount (See Matthew 15:24).

In addition, Robert J. Matthews also stated concerning the textual criticism difference between the Sermon on the Mount and the Temple Sermon given in the Land of Bountiful:

In addition to stating that the Nephites were the "other sheep" (v 21), Jesus explains why the "other sheep" could not be Gentiles. He indicates that if the Jews, or anyone else, including those who write commentaries, knew the rules, they would know that the other sheep must of necessity be Israelites, for "the Gentiles should not at any time hear [his] voice" or see the resurrected Christ in person as a group. I take that explanation to mean that an experience such as is recorded in 3 Nephi where the resurrected Savior ministers among multitudes, and personally teaches them, will</B> only, and can only occur among those who are Israelites.</B></I>

This explanation comes directly from the mouth of Jesus and was intended to teach both them and us something we need to know about the importance of Israel. The Savior's explanation also clarifies such statements as Matthew 15:24, wherein Jesus said, "I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel," and also 1 Nephi 10:11, which reads that after his resurrection, Jesus would "make himself manifest, by the Holy Ghost, unto the Gentiles." That is, he would visit them through the Holy Ghost only, not personally.

In March 1978, a prominent Lutheran minister participated in a symposium on the Brigham Young University campus. He had accepted the task of comparing the Savior's sermon in 3 Nephi with the Sermon on the Mount found in the book of Matthew. By the tools and procedures of textual criticism, he discovered several interesting differences between these two sermons. He gave an astute and perceptive analysis. He said that compared to the New Testament, 3 Nephi is much clearer, the Savior's teachings are more precise; they are stronger, bolder, and offer considerably more information than can be gained from the New Testament. He found also that the personality of Jesus is more commanding in 3 Nephi than in the New Testament. He noted that in the New Testament Jesus speaks as a teacher, but in 3 Nephi he speaks as a god. (Third Nephi 9-30: This Is My Gospel by Charles D. Tate, Monte S. Nyman, p.25)

How many times have we Latter-day Saints, have the same failings as the Jews did when the Savior [or prophet] was commanded to instruct but our own stiffneckedness and lack of faith, the FATHER commanded HIS Son or prophets to say no more? Not only learn something new this morning, but I see the same striking parallelism here among us.

What is meant by “stiffneckedness”? This has direct reference to covenants. The ancient method (ritual) of covenants within Kingdoms a citizen would be presented before the Suzerain (or someone standing in as proxy in the name of the Suzerain). To accept the covenant and show honor to the Suzerain the acceptor of the covenant would bow their head and vocalize their promise to obey the Suzerain and the covenant (Law). We see remnant of this ritual in observing Jews offering prayers at the temple wall in Jerusalem as they bow their heads – usually many times. Please note the relationship to covenant at the temple and the importance Jews hold for the temple.

Someone that refused to participate in covenant by obedience and accept the Suzerain would not bow their head – thus their neck was considered stiff.

The Traveler

Good morning Traveler. Excellent thought if it was the Sermon on Mount. But, it depends on your interpretation and the author thoughts when recording the sermon but I would be the last one to correct the Lord when it is also found in the D&C and the Old Testament with a partial but different meaning. :P

Turning open Doctrine & Covenants Encyclopedia, p. 564, it reads the following:

References to stiffneckedness are found only twice in the Doctrine and Covenants (D&C 5:8; 56:6). However, the word is found as a description of those who resist the promptings of the Spirit in both the Bible (Ex. 32:9) and the Book of Mormon (Alma 9:5).

The martyr Stephen indicated that stiffnecked people "resist the Holy Ghost" (Acts 7:51). Jacob taught that stiffnecked people "despised the words of plainness and killed the prophets, and sought for things that they could not understand" (Jac. 4:14). Stiff-necked people are also those who cannot "be governed by the law nor justice" (Hel. 5:3).

According to Webster, one who is stiffnecked is stubborn and inflexibly obstinate. Such are they who bow not their heads to be taught by the Spirit, but whose collars of sin keep their necks stiff and their heads haughtily erect in defiance of Deity. A stiff neck does not turn in the direction of divine guidance. By contrast, the Lord promises to "feel after" (search after) those who "stiffen not their necks" (D&C 112:13). (Doctrine and Covenants Encyclopedia by Hoyt W. Brewster, P.564)

President Joseph Fielding Smith, receive a question concering adding further revelations to the Doctrine and Covenants. Part way through it he states the obvious about our day of members having the same stiffneckedness:

There is also a very significant saying given by prophecy by Nephi to his people that Latter-day Saints should think about and heed. It is as follows, and was given because the Nephites had become indifferent to the commandments the Lord had given them:

Behold, this is the doctrine of Christ, and there will be no more doctrine given until after he shall manifest himself unto you in the flesh. And when he shall manifest himself unto you in the flesh, the things which he shall say unto you shall ye observe to do.

And now I, Nephi, cannot say more; the Spirit stoppeth mine utterance, and I am left to mourn because of the unbelief and the wickedness, and the ignorance, and the stiffneckedness of men; for they will not search knowledge, nor understand, great knowledge, when it is given unto them in plainness, as plain as word can be. (2 Nephi 32:6-7.)

We, the members of the Church, should heed the admonition of Nephi, for there exists among us the same stiffneckedness and lack of seeking for knowledge, yet a clamoring by many for more to be revealed. Let us learn to observe the revelations already given, then we may in reason ask for more. We are even now aware that many of the revelations contained on the plates from which comes the Book of Mormon, have been withheld from us because we have not proved ourselves worthy to receive them. In relation to these sacred historical writings, the following is revealed:

For the Lord said unto me: They shall not go forth unto the Gentiles until the day that they shall repent of their iniquity, and become clean before the Lord.

And in that day that they shall exercise faith in me, saith the Lord, even as the brother of Jared did, that they may become sanctified in me, then will I manifest unto them the things which the brother of Jared saw, even to the unfolding unto them all my revelations, saith Jesus Christ, the Son of God, the Father of the heavens and of the earth, and all things that in them are. (Ether 4:6-7.) (Answers to Gospel Questions, vol. 2 by Joseph Fielding Smith, p. 203-204)

To me it is more-or-less, resisting the Spirit, Holy Ghost, or those who are called by the Savior. Even the Webster dictionary states, "stubborn and inflexibly obstinate." The opposite of this I can think of is submission, tractable, obedience, open to other view points, humility, and meekness.

Here is a classic sample by the Savior that is recorded in the D&C 56, verse 6 it reads:

6. For behold, I revoke the commandment which was given unto my servants Selah J. Griffin and Newel Knight, in consequence of the stiffneckedness of my people which are in Thompson, and their rebellions.

George Q. Cannon stated this for what happened (see verse 6):

"At this time [June 1831] the branch of the Church in Thompson, Ohio, fell into darkness, and messengers came to the Prophet asking him to inquire of the Lord for them. (Sec. 54.) This branch was composed of Saints who had moved from Colesville, New York, and who had received instructions from the Lord, through the Prophet at the request of Bishop [Edward] Partridge, as the manner in which they should organize themselves to conduct their temporal affairs. In response to the supplication which Joseph addressed to the Lord upon this subject, humility and contrition were required from the Saints at Thompson for their journey into the regions westward, to near the line of the State of Missouri and the then Indian country." (Life of Joseph Smith, 1907, E'. 95.)

Edited by Hemidakota

Hemi, I think the refusal to participate in ordinances is exactly what those scriptures you posted mean. If you decide not to participate in ordinances and covenant making with the Lord then it is your refusal to follow the Spirit, turn in the direction of divine guidance, and a lack of a desire to seek godly things.

I'd like to throw out some related terms I've been pondering in the Book of Mormon, and see if anyone has any ideas on what the specific differences might be:

Jarom 1:

3 Behold, it is expedient that much should be done among this people, because of the hardness of their hearts, and the deafness of their ears, and the blindness of their minds, and the stiffness of their necks; nevertheless, God is exceedingly merciful unto them, and has not as yet swept them off from the face of the land.

Heardness of heart

Deafness of ears

Blindness of mind

Stiffness of neck

Anyone want to comment on what any of these mean, and what the differences between them are?

I bolded the meaning to what I was referring too. Good points. We could use it in our days also, for those who refuse to partake of the ordinances of baptism, priesthood, temple, or other such related to the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

Thanks again Justice...

Edited by Hemidakota

Stiff

2 Ne. 28:14 They wear s. necks

Jacob 2:13 And wear s. necks

Stiffen

2 Ne. 10:5 They at Jerusalem will s. their

Stiffened

2 Ne. 6:10 Hardened their hearts and s.

Stiff necked

2 Ne. 25:28 My people, ye are a s. people

Jacob 4:14 The Jews were a s. people

Jacob 6:4 They were a s. and a gainsaying

Enos 1:22 The people were a s. people

Jarom 1:4 For they are not all s.

4 And as many as are not s.

Omni 1:28 Their leader being a s. man

Mosiah 3:14 Saw that his people were a s.

Mosiah 13:29 For they were a s. people

Alma 9:5 Were a hardhearted and a s.

Alma 9:31 Were a hardhearted and a s.

Alma 15:15 Remained a hardhearted and a s.

Alma 20:30 More hardhearted and a more s.

Alma 26:24 As s. a people as they are

Alma 37:10 Many thousands of our s. brethren

Hel. 4:21 Saw that they had been a s. people

Hel. 5:3 Was not all; they were a s. people

Hel. 9:21 Yes. people, do ye know how

Hel. 13:29 Ye hardened and yes. people

Morm. 8:33 O ye wicked...and s. people

Stiffneckedness

1 Ne. 2:11 Because of the s. of L. and L.

2 Ne. 32:7 Ignorance, and the s. of men

Wrds of Mor. 17 Because of the s. of the people

3 Ne. 15:18 And now because of s. and unbelief

Stiffness

2 Ne. 25:12 And the s. of their necks

Jarom 3 And the s. of their necks

Late edit: here is Millet statement regarding the problems seen with the Jews:

Jesus performed only the works and taught only the doctrines that his Father commanded him (see John 5:19-20). In our record of his mortal ministry among the Jews we have no mention of his teaching them concerning the remnants of the house of Israel that had been dispersed throughout the nations of the earth—including the Book of Mormon peoples. He only was allowed to speak fragmentarily of "other sheep" that must be gathered to "one fold" by he "one shepherd" (see John 10:11-18). Perhaps he wanted to teach them greater things but was constrained by the Father. The reason that the Father did not command Jesus to teach more explicitly and extensively was the Jews' "stiffneckedness and unbelief" and "because of their iniquity." It appears from this account that even if the Lord had taught more, they would not have understood it. This is a sober warning. "As far as we degenerate from God," the Prophet Joseph said, "we descend to the devil and lose knowledge and without knowledge eve cannot be saved" (Teachings, p. 217 ) We learn from the example of the Jews, cited here by Jesus, that the Lord stands ready to reveal to us greater doctrines and additional scriptures, but only as we seek such from the Lord, live righteously, and fully embrace that which has already been revealed. (Doctrinal Commentary on the Book of Mormon, vol. 4, by Robert L. Millet, Joseph Fielding McConkie)

Edited by Hemidakota

I'd like to throw out some related terms I've been pondering in the Book of Mormon, and see if anyone has any ideas on what the specific differences might be:

Heardness of heart

Deafness of ears

Blindness of mind

Stiffness of neck

Anyone want to comment on what any of these mean, and what the differences between them are?

All these terms (related) remind me of this scripture in Ephesians 4: 17-19:

This I say therefore, and testify in the Lord, that ye henceforth walk not as other Gentiles walk, in the vanity of their mind,

4:18 Having the understanding darkened, being alienated from the life of God through the ignorance that is in them, because of the blindness of their heart:

4:19 Who being past feeling have given themselves over unto lasciviousness, to work all uncleanness with greediness.

For me are those who (without being aware) live in ignorance and in the vanity of their own "knowledge" (prideful) and their own understanding. Those who cannot be corrected, whose necks are "stiffed", those who are "past feeling".

Thekabalist had some insight on "blindness of mind".

Blind in your minds: In ancient Hebrew the expression “to blind” meant to change one’s course or to stray from a path. This can be seen from the Talmud:

“Observing that a snake, cutting through the water, was approaching, he said to his attendant, 'Blind its eyes,’ and the attendant took some water and was pouring it into the wine; whereupon the snake turned back!” (b. Avodah Zarah 30a)

So when Nephi says that their minds were blind he means that their minds had strayed from the path of righteousness. (A Jewish Perspective - 1 Nephi Chapter 7)

Regards,

Vanhin

Justice, there is about 160 instances that can be found with the term 'hardness of their heart' in our canonize scripture set. Surprising though, is the number of times the Prophet Nephi used the term [35 instances found throughout the Book of Mormon]. Reading Vanhin posting, leveraging edification from the link, the teenage Nephi religious erudition was brought from the Land of Jerusalem and anything culturally learned, I believe Nephi applied this method of teaching to his people. To keep in the same perspective, using the same method of Nephi, and, not to remove any meaning from the Jarom own writing, reveals, a person who was prodigious in his spiritually. What is most striking; it speaks of revelation as the province of the faithful. To me, this is the opposite action in a life of one having a “hardness of heart”. Verse 4 says it all:

"As many as ... have faith, have communion with the Holy Spirit," it declares. There is no hedging here. If you have faith you receive revelation; conversely, we must reason, if you are without "communion with the Holy Spirit" it is because faith is lacking.

Justice, Jarom own statement is not that the faithful are entitled to receive revelation but rather, the faithful will not be without revelation. In our many previous communications, this fits you to the ‘T’ and few others here.

Reading verse two, then three, and finally four, Jarom leave us an account that resounds our day, telling us, much work needed to be done among the Nephites people (including the Saints today) because of the “hardness of their hearts”, and the “deafness of their ears”, and the “blindness of their minds.”

Not leaving a negative statement for the reader, one whose character is liken to Christ, Jarom went on to say, “Nevertheless, God is exceeding merciful unto them, and has not as yet swept them off from the face of the land.” (see verse 3) It was true for Jarom day but our time is coming where the Spirit will be cutoff from the world, and, even the Saints who have the same “hardness of heart”.

Apostle Neal A. Maxwell said it best;

Perhaps the worst curse that finally falls upon those who are hard of heart and who fight against God is the curse of being consigned to be with each other. Hardness of heart comes first in the form of forgetfulness, for memory is the mother of feeling. When a people can no longer be stirred up to remembrance, they become past feeling. Their hearts become like shells and, finally, stones.

Evil always seeks company, for it cannot be by itself alone. Satan detests solitude, for solitude turns him in upon himself, reminding him of what glories might have been. Thus, when Satan laughs as if to mock mankind, he only mocks himself. His laughter is hollow laughter that proceeds from the emptiness of evil which envelops him. (Of One Heart by Neal A. Maxwell, p. 56)

Traits of such individuals are ‘past feeling’, ‘seek to cause contention’, ‘refuses to repent’, and making mockery of others. As Apostle Maxwell put it, “Their hearts become like shells and, finally, stones.”

Thanks again for engagement of this topic and Vanhin, your link…worthy reading.

Edited by Hemidakota

Jarom's own statement is not that the faithful are entitled to receive revelation but rather, the faithful will not be without revelation.

I really like the way you put that. There is a stark difference. I think often we feel "good enough" when we receive a little revelation throught the week, or when we occasionally feel the Spirit.

This helps you see that's not good enough. The minimum is never acceptable to those who are sicerely striving to live according to the covenants they have made.

And, I really like the quote you posted from Elder Maxwell.

Material worthy of pondering over.

...and I assure I will.

Thank you.

Hello, Hemi

I have been reading through the posts, and wonder what your definition of "prodigious" is? I looked up the definition on the computer and the meaning it gave me was;

Main Entry: pro·di·gious

Pronunciation: \prə-ˈdi-jəs\

Function: adjective

Date: 15th century

1 a obsolete : being an omen : portentous b : resembling or befitting a prodigy : strange, unusual

2 : exciting amazement or wonder

3 : extraordinary in bulk, quantity, or degree : enormous synonyms see monstrous

pro·di·gious·ly adverb

pro·di·gious·ness noun

Is this what your definition was?

As for not being stiff-necked and hard-hearted; for me it is much easier to speak of than to do, lol...

Humbling myself as little child is certainly a journey in trusting in God, rather than on the arm of flesh. It's the day by day scripture study and prayer, then acting on what is taught in the scriptures, that is so important...

I've read a lot on the meaning of these phrases; but, how would we put these sayings into effect in our lives? Please, any input would be appreciated...

Thanks

Dove

Edited by Dove
corrections

Humbling myself as little child is certainly a journey in trusting in God, rather than on the arm of flesh.

It's the day by day scripture study and prayer, then acting on what is taught in the scriptures, that is so important...

This is so true Dove. Often times, we are caught in the "study" part only but we fail in putting those studies into action. That's why one of the definitions of wisdom is "applied knowledge" and not merely knowledge (information).

...how would we put these sayings into effect in our lives?

This is the very reason I have been studying them. If I am to not be any of those things, I need to understand what they are and how one becomes that way.

In fact, this is the very reason I read scripture at all. Sure, the knowledge and peace are certainly luring. But, my main objective is to know what they knew so I can be like them.

Here is one of my favorite scriptures as of late, and am trying to put into practice:

2 Nephi 4:

15 ... For my soul delighteth in the scriptures, and my heart pondereth them...

16 Behold, my soul delighteth in the things of the Lord; and my heart pondereth continually upon the things which I have seen and heard.

Verse 15 truncated.

That reference is easy to remember. 2 Nephi (2x2=4) chapter 4 (4x4=16) verse 16.

I truly believe this is a key personality trait that made Nephi a man of great faith. I have tried to ponder more on the things of the Lord. When I read scriptures, I make a conscious effort to remember it during the day as often as possible, for as long as possible. I take/make time to be still and ponder. As I have done so I have found that I am able to love the things of the Lord more. Some of my greatest learning moments have come while pondering what I read long after putting the book down.

It doesn't mean you have to sit and do nothing. But, it does mean you have to be doing something that doesn't require your full attention. I have such a job, and for periods during the day I can work while I sing hymns (outloud) or ponder about scriptures. It has made me love my job!

This is related to many terms we use in the Church:

Have a prayer in your heart always.

Always remember Him (Christ).

Fill your mind with good thought so there's no room for the bad.

Now I look forward to the times during the day where I can be still enough to ponder about the things of the Lord. Oddly enough, as I come to enjoy it more, I spend more time doing it.

As I have done this, I have come to understand Nephi with a lot more depth.

So, I, too, would appreciate any commentary on those 4 phrases.

Reading this topic that Hemidakota started reminded me of a scripture:

Alma Chapter 12

10 And therefore, he that will harden his heart, the same receiveth the lesser portion of the word; and he that will not harden his heart, to him is given the greater portion of the word, until it is given unto him to know the mysteries of God until he know them in full.

11 And they that will harden their hearts, to them is given the lesser portion of the word until they know nothing concerning his mysteries; and then they are taken captive by the devil, and led by his will down to destruction. Now this is what is meant by the chains of hell.

Here is one of my favorite scriptures as of late, and am trying to put into practice:

2 Nephi 4:

16 Behold, my soul delighteth in the things of the Lord; and my heart pondereth continually upon the things which I have seen and heard.

Verse 15 truncated.

That reference is easy to remember. 2 Nephi (2x2=4) chapter 4 (4x4=16) verse 16.

I also remember a favorite reference in the Book of Mormon like this:

Alma 1234

Alma 12:34

34 Therefore, whosoever repenteth, and hardeneth not his heart,

he shall have claim on mercy through mine Only Begotten Son, unto

a remission of his sins; and these shall enter into my rest.

35 And whosoever will harden his heart and will do iniquity,

behold, I swear in my wrath that he shall not enter into my rest.

Reading this topic that Hemidakota started reminded me of a scripture:

Alma Chapter 12

10 And therefore, he that will harden his heart, the same receiveth the lesser portion of the word; and he that will not harden his heart, to him is given the greater portion of the word, until it is given unto him to know the mysteries of God until he know them in full.

11 And they that will harden their hearts, to them is given the lesser portion of the word until they know nothing concerning his mysteries; and then they are taken captive by the devil, and led by his will down to destruction. Now this is what is meant by the chains of hell.

God afternoon Still Small Voice, Alma is a excellent choice and says it all.

How many time have Nephites contended with such a great prophet of the Lord in his days? As I believe this problem has not gone away. Members who receive the lesser word will strive to contend with those who receive the greater word. I believe, they become instruments in the hands of the devils. Used by them as tools versus being edified. By there own actions you will know them. If not, use the Spirit of Discernment, which Alma used time to time with contends of the faith.

Last, Apostle Oaks had an issue that dealt with a sister in the church (telephone call), where he had to step back with great patience and then later, used the Spirit to guide him in speaking to the member.

As I stated earlier, Apostle Maxwell stated, "“Their hearts become like shells and, finally, stones." It is through their actions you will know them, "Hardness of Heart" comes first in the form of forgetfulness of the spiritual meaning of being reborn. A given pattern.

To prevent such occurrence in our own lives, we need to pray for ourselves that we follow the path of the Master (Jesus Christ) or make course corrections, as we need to pray over our enemies, to soften their hearts, so they can feel of His love again.

This is the very reason I have been studying them. If I am to not be any of those things, I need to understand what they are and how one becomes that way.

In fact, this is the very reason I read scripture at all. Sure, the knowledge and peace are certainly luring. But, my main objective is to know what they knew so I can be like them.

2 Nephi 4:

Verse 15 truncated.

I truly believe this is a key personality trait that made Nephi a man of great faith. I have tried to ponder more on the things of the Lord. When I read scriptures, I make a conscious effort to remember it during the day as often as possible, for as long as possible. I take/make time to be still and ponder. As I have done so I have found that I am able to love the things of the Lord more. Some of my greatest learning moments have come while pondering what I read long after putting the book down.

It doesn't mean you have to sit and do nothing. But, it does mean you have to be doing something that doesn't require your full attention. I have such a job, and for periods during the day I can work while I sing hymns (outloud) or ponder about scriptures. It has made me love my job!

This is related to many terms we use in the Church:

Have a prayer in your heart always.

Always remember Him (Christ).

Fill your mind with good thought so there's no room for the bad.

Now I look forward to the times during the day where I can be still enough to ponder about the things of the Lord. Oddly enough, as I come to enjoy it more, I spend more time doing it.

As I have done this, I have come to understand Nephi with a lot more depth.

So, I, too, would appreciate any commentary on those 4 phrases.

Exactly....

Here they are again:

Heardness of heart

Deafness of ears

Blindness of mind

Stiffness of neck

Taken from Jarom 1:3

I have enjoyed the comments so far.

Hello to all who have been posting on this thread.....

It seems to have died a little bit. I would like to share that I went into the hospital this past weekend for a surprise operation. I had to have my appendix taken out. So, I haven't been able to visit LDS net much since then. It's good to be back to read what is going on. I have appreciated the comments so far on this thread.

As I've been reading/contemplating over the above listed phrases, one word that comes to my mind concerning all of them is "pride." Does anyone remember the great talk Pres. Benson gave on "pride?" Each of these phrases reminds me of that talk and how we can set our will against God's by refusing to be open to the promptings of His Spirit..... Turning away/not listening to/not considering His will as it pertains to our own personal life.

I am so guilty of "pride" in my own life.... I'm working on repenting though and on turning back to Him. It's a difficult process; but, seems to be the only way to go for happiness.

This hospital stay and operation has actually done me a great service in changing my perspective~ I feel that I see things from a much better, clearer, perspective. It's been a real blessing for me to have gone through this.

Dove