Manual or Electric?

Tarnished

So I thought I might get into the whole baby/pregnancy questioning. I am planning on breastfeeding when our baby comes and was wondering which works better or which worked better for you when it came to breast pumps, manual pump or electric pump?

Pros and cons of both?

I guess the first question to ask would be: How much do you plan to pump? Are you planning to go back to work and want to have breast milk to send along to the babysitter/day care center with your child? Or is it more for convenience so that dad can offer the baby a bottle every now and then?

If you're going to be needing a *lot* of pumped milk, then I would go with an electrinc one, hands down. They work *very* fast and get out a lot more milk than a manual pump can.

I'm a stay-at-home-mom, so I didn't need to pump as much for my babies, so a manual pump worked best for me. I could get about a bottle's worth of milk out in 10-15 minutes to give to Daddy or the babysitter to feed the baby while I was out. It also helped ease the engorgement stage right after my babies were born and I was producing enough milk to feed a small orphanage.

I am planning on becoming a stay at home mom. I am currently working though and we are in the middle of trying to move from one town to another 2 hours away. So I am hoping that I will be able to make it to SAHM status before or by the time the baby arrives.

I have heard that pumping can also help women produce more milk if they are having problems producing. I read that the best way to do this is to let the baby feed and then after feeding pump. Is that true? My sister breastfed and said that it helped her, but my sister in law has been using formula and breastfeeding now and then because her milk doesn't seem to be coming in very strong. Could this be because she is not breastfeeding as often and so her milk production is low?

Ditto to Jenamarie. If you're staying at home, a manual one should be adequate. In fact, I was given one in the hospital, so I never bought one. It helped ease the engorgement stage and get milk out even though Mini Wing wasn't ready to nurse at a particular given moment. If you're not working outside the home while still trying to breastfeed, don't spend the money on an electric pump.

Tarnished: Some women just don't produce much milk. Both my sister and sister-in-law had to switch to formula after trying to breastfeed (I think they both stuck it out for 2-3 months) because they just were *not* producing enough. One clue for them was that they never went through an "engorgement" stage (when your milk first comes in, about 2-4 days after the baby is born, and lasts for a few weeks to a month). During that time you can practically tap your boob and milk squirts out. You're producing SO much milk. But they never had that. It would take my SIL 2-3 15-minute pumping sessions to get 4 oz. of milk. Some women just don't produce much milk. (but it's more likely that you won't have to worry)

Yes it can help increase your supply. I would also take advantage of the engorgement stage to fill several bottles that can be stuck in the freezer (for up to 6 months) for later use. Like Wingnut said, I would *not* invest in an electric pump if you're not planning to go to work. Also, there are several babies who will utterly refuse to drink from a bottle (my oldest son was one), so all the pumped breastmilk in the world was useless to me because there was no way he would drink it. :P Pump some milk (manually) in the beginning, and offer your baby a bottle at about 2 weeks old (once he/she has gotten the breastfeeding thing down. you don't want to introduce the bottle to early and end up giving the baby a case of "nipple confusion" which can really throw a wrench in breastfeeding). If they take a bottle, *great*! If not, you're not out a huge investment in an expensive electric pump.

I vote Electric. Simply less effort with electric and you can relax which helps your milk let down. I didn't buy a pump but I used one.

The reason I didn't buy one is that it was difficult for me to nurse for long. My boys demanded more milk than I could produce. I was more successful with my daughter. I'm one of those people who internalize stress and stress can reduce milk supply.

How ever long you can nurse is good for the baby though... even if its only for a week or 3 months. Longer is even better.

Plan but don't get so determined that everything will go one way that you can't be flexible. Each child is different and thus each pregnancy, labor/delivery, and nursing experience is different.

I would also take advantage of the engorgement stage to fill several bottles that can be stuck in the freezer (for up to 6 months) for later use.

I didn't even think about freezing the milk! My husband and I were discussing it and I figured we would have to just use the pumped milk really quick but freezing it is a great idea. And a good way to have bottles on hand when needed.

How did you unfreeze the bottles when you used them? Would for example a microwave work for defrosting or should you let them thaw in the fridge?

In case you have any problems with your milk supply, there is a drug that my doctor gave me to increase my supply called Reglan. It can only be used very temporarily because it has dangerous side effects, like tardive dyskinesia (causes your hands to shake uncontrollably).

If you have a medical thing where you are not producing enough milk, pumps don't work in my experience (I had some medical issues, including anemia).

Do you plan to pump only when you are going out without your baby? I ask because I just read you plan to stay home so I am not sure the need for a pump? I would vote for electric. I breastfed all my kids and I tried the manual pump for a couple of times and I saw stars! Not recommended.

I didn't even think about freezing the milk! My husband and I were discussing it and I figured we would have to just use the pumped milk really quick but freezing it is a great idea. And a good way to have bottles on hand when needed.

How did you unfreeze the bottles when you used them? Would for example a microwave work for defrosting or should you let them thaw in the fridge?

Freeze the milk flat in ziploc bags, and then it thaws really quickly when run under warm water. You cannot microwave breast milk.

Do you plan to pump only when you are going out without your baby? I ask because I just read you plan to stay home so I am not sure the need for a pump? I would vote for electric. I breastfed all my kids and I tried the manual pump for a couple of times and I saw stars! Not recommended.

If you're really engorged (like I was for first first at least month), a pump is nice to have to help relieve yourself until your body balances out its own production.

Tarnished, you should check with your hospital to see what services they have available for pumps. Mine had an electric pump there that I was able to use in the hospital (and since I had a c-section and they kept my daughter an extra day for weight reasons, I was there five days), and they also had a rental program that was nice. I got to keep the electric pump for either two weeks or a month, with a rental fee. It was really nice.

If you're really engorged (like I was for first first at least month), a pump is nice to have to help relieve yourself until your body balances out its own production..

Yes, I had that same problem. I tried the manual pump though, it was a nightmare! :(

I kind of want to pump and have milk for all sorts of situations. If the baby is willing to take breastmilk from the bottle then I think I can give the middle of the night feedings to my hubby. He works second shift, getting home at Midnight and often suffers from insomnia, staying awake till 2 am or sometimes even 5 or 6 am. I figure if he is up when we have the baby and we have milk available then he can take care of middle of the night feedings.

So in that case I would need milk available for every night, we also plan to move close to my parents so it would also be nice to have some on hand for if we leave the little one with Nana and Grandpa.

• 5 months later...

Whatever you chose, make sure you drink a lot of water. Dehydration is a milk killer! I always know when I'm dehydrated from how much milk I pump at work. Btw, I use a Medela Lactina electric pump I rent from a local medical supply company, it's great! But at $80/month until insurance picks it up it's a little pricey for home use lol.

I'm a breastfeeding veteran... Breastfed my kids until they weaned themselves off - first one was 19 months, 2nd one was 16 months.

The reason I'm so proud to say that is because I have breast deformities that make it very hard to nurse. The first month of nursing, I would be crying the entire time because of the pain...

So... I have researched long and hard for breast pumps (I'm a career woman). Being able to express milk even when you're a SAHM is beneficial for several reasons - 1.) increase production, 2.) prevent engorgement/mastitis, 3.) rest. On #3, when I was on maternity leave, I still pumped milk because I would sleep right after dinner (around 7PM) and so my husband stays up and feeds the baby until about 1AM when I would wake up and do the rest of the night feedings when necessary so that both of us get decent uninterrupted sleep.

Okay, my suggestion... if you're a SAHM - or rather, you don't plan on using the pump for more than twice a day, you don't need an electric pump. But, I suggest you get the manual Avent pump. I went through several manual pumps before I settled on the Avent. It was the only one that did not give me pain. I used the manual pump when travelling. The Avent pump is designed to fit Avent bottles, but if you are not using Avent bottles, you can purchase an "adaptor" from 3rd party suppliers. I used Avent bottles because of the nipples - my first child preferred it than any of the other bottles I got from the baby shower, so it was good that the Avent pump was the one I liked best too. You can do with just 1 pump and you do one side at a time. I got 2 pumps and do it together. I have to say, the manual pumps are tough on your wrists - even the Avent one.

I have an electric one too that I use at work. I got the Ameda Purely Yours for my first child and then switched to the Medella Pump In Style for my second child. One is not better than the other. They're both good. The Ameda was cheaper but the Medella had a better bag. I got the dual pump (both sides at the same time). But, what I did was, I used the Avent pump insert (the rubber thingee that goes into the suction cup) from my manual pump in the electric things. This made it much more comfortable. I got the adaptors that hook onto Avent bottles.

Yes, you can pump into plastic bags intended for this purpose and freeze them for up to 6 months (I never produced enough to make it through more than the next day). You can't microwave breast milk because it breaks down. You can warm it up in the bottle warmer or put it in hot water to warm.

I always say - if I was able to do it with my deformities, everybody else have hope!

I hope I can step in here without people thinking it's wierd. My wife did all this with both our kids, and I remember many things to pass along:

* She tried both manual and electric, and found she liked both in different situations. Her advice would be to try both and go with what works for you.

* In the maternity ward in our hospital, they had "lactation consultants". My wife and I quickly dubbed them the breast nazi's. They were pushy and overbearing, and would barge into a room where some poor woman was recovering from giving birth, demanding to see the woman breastfeed or pump correctly. They seemed to carry with them the threat of "do what I say, or I'm reporting you to CPS". Well, for our first kid, my wife told them where to get off, and I actually stood in the doorway and wouldn't let them past me. When kid #2 came later, they weren't at the hospital any more (gee, I wonder why?)

Anyway, when you have your new baby, you will find yourself occasionally assaulted by hoardes of judgemental busybodies with strong opinions. Hopefully, it'll be more along the lines of crotchety old grandma in the checkout line, and less like the breast nazis. But you'll encounter them - and they'll probably bug you. So work on your defense now. Smiling and saying "thanks, I'll go do that right now" works - so does having your husband push them into a closet and lock the door. Again, go with what works. :D

* We didn't buy a single item until the baby was about 4 months. Between the baby showers and the tons of free stuff they gave us at the hospital, we were supplied to the gills. Manual and electric pumps, bottle liners, bottles, boppy pillows, slings, insulated mommy bags, reusable ice packs, the whole nine yards. If you're going to be in the same situation, you might want to take time and try all the different things that end up at you, before you spend any money.

Edited by Loudmouth_Mormon

• 2 weeks later...

Well I ended up having made my decision. My baby decided to go on a nursing strike and I am now pumping to feed him. I got an electric pump, but it wasn't strong enough so I ended up having to get a Medela one (which works so much better) I get the same amount of milk in 15 min of pumping as I was getting in 2 hours of pumping before.